2020 Transfer Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Transfer Season

Per Verbal Commits Twitter Page, Alou has decided to enter the transfer portal. Really wish it could have worked out with him. I know his skill set was a little raw but thought he had some real potential to be a contributor to this team with his size, athleticism, and outside shooting. Best wishes to where ever he lands!
    “South Dakota State F Alou Dillon (RS SO) has entered the transfer portal. Two years to play. https://t.co/RUFr0kzc3E”

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
    Per Verbal Commits Twitter Page, Alou has decided to enter the transfer portal. Really wish it could have worked out with him. I know his skill set was a little raw but thought he had some real potential to be a contributor to this team with his size, athleticism, and outside shooting. Best wishes to where ever he lands!
    Assume he will go DivII route since he has used a redshirt year. I really think he would have been very serviceable next year but I can understand his frustration and others’ frustration.

Comment

Our classes are not well balanced and it will take some shuffling around.

Comment

Not surprising and can hardly blame him. Biggest mystery of the year for me as to why he didn't get more meaningful playing time.

Comment

Has anyone seen offers to prospects for 2020 recruits?
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            Has anyone seen offers to prospects for 2020 recruits?
            According to VerbalCommits we have offers out to two JUCO's, Luke Appel and RayQuawndis Mitchell and HS Latrell Wrightsell,Jr. Guessing that the Jacks are in on more than that. And you would think there are grad transfers being contacted.

Comment

Alou was one of those guys that was fun to root for. I wish him success!

That being said, I've been overwhelmed by too much Corona and not enough sports. Seeing this thread is giving me something to talk Jackrabbits about. In looking at the Verbal Commits - SDSU page, it is interesting to see the hits and misses. Justwin is correct in that it would be nice to spread around our roster.

Seniors: Brandon Key, Beau Brown, Cole Gentry, Adam Dykman, Sergio El Darwich, Dallas Polk-Hilliard

For our outgoing senior class, our original high school recruits were Beau Brown (walk-on), Cole Gentry, and Adam Dykman. We've also had three JUCO transfers with Brandon Key, Sergio El Darwich, and Dallas Polk-Hilliard.

Brandon Key had the most impact on the team, which, says something about this class. Flashes of brilliance, but too erratic and the team never consistently excelled with him on the court.

Had high hopes for Gentry and Dykman. Gentry has had a very good career following Nagy to Wright State, where he's been a big part of their team's success. Coming out of his redshirt freshman season, the staff had high hopes for Dykman. He's had a solid career for Augie since transferring there, but nothing special. He was Mr. Basketball in Nebraska in 2015. I'd be thrilled to get even the 5th best player out of Nebraska this year as that state tournament was loaded with talent! Everyone loves Beau, but the expectations were never as high for him.

Sergio El Darwich transferred to Western Texas (JUCO) and had a solid year that led to an opportunity in Maine. With the Black Bears, he's started for much of his career and even led them in scoring this year. If you didn't know that, it's probably because they only won 8 games this year. Polk-Hilliard started 33 games for Grambling after transferring from SDSU in 2018-19. He had a very good year for them and was a key player on their team that played in the CIT tourney to end the year. I couldn't find any information for this season except one tweet from him that he was denied eligibility by the NCAA to play this year.

Juniors: Douglas Wilson, Tray Buchanan, David Jenkins

This class is/was loaded!!! Wilson absolutely blew away my expectations this year! Yes, he was the JUCO player of the year last year, but this is a very high level of basketball and he dominated from day 1. I wish he had more years to don the blue jersey. We will just have to savor next year. Buchanan had good stops at UND and playing JUCO last year. Would love to see more impact from him, but if he can contribute as a roll player - it's a win. Jenkins was one of the most talented scorers in Jackrabbit history! He was also the previous coaching staff's biggest recruiting success. Good luck next year when he returns to the court in Vegas.

Sophomores: Alex Arians, Matt Dentlinger, Owen King, Alou Dillon, RayQuawndis Mitchell, Luke Appel, Michael Carter III, Ryan Krueger

Dentlinger is making a name for himself. Playing along side Wilson has helped significantly. Arians is a Swiss Army knife type player. He won't blow you away with anything, but he fills voids on the roster and will likely have a solid four years. King, had much promise and I hope he finds happiness on a court next year. Dillon was the raw athletic talent that just could not make the impact that his impressive physique displayed. Krueger and Carter III never found a way to crack the lineup before transferring. Krueger signed with Northeastern Oklahoma (JUCO), but I could not find any stats for him this year. Carter III transferred to Long Beach State and had to sit out this season.

Freshman: Noah Freidel, Baylor Scheierman, David Wingett, Matt Mims, Aaron Fiegen, Owen Coburn

This group may go down as the best ever, or could just be a really good class. While there was disappointment in losing our highest ranked high school commit to Iowa State, Noah Freidel erased many of those bad feelings. You don't get many consolation prizes this good! He has three more years, but when his career is done, he has the chance to be among the greatest ever to wear a Jackrabbit uniform. Pair him with two very talented Nebraskans and this class has had a huge impact in their first year. Scheierman and Wingett are a nice pair to match up with Freidel. Matt Mims was overshadowed by this group, but he still added significantly to the team as a true freshman. It is very rare to have four freshman have such a huge impact on a team. I almost feel bad for Aaron Fiegen to be overshadowed by this group. Owen Coburn was supposed to be a big-time talent, in the sense that his 6'10" frame would provide the inside presence teams need at the D1 level. He had a marginal year playing for Kirkwood Community College, averaging 3 points, 2.9 rebounds in 8 minutes per game.

When you look at this list of players, it fits the transfer thread. You never saw this level of transfers during the Nagy years, with exception of a year or two in transition to D1. It's been amazing to see the level of success this team had with such a young team and so much talent that transferred out or graduated in recent years. Getting some stability with recruiting high schoolers under Hendo's program would be nice, but I can't argue with the success of having players like Wilson transferring in.

Comment

William Mumf, a bouncy, 6-2 guard from an academy in Ohio, should be considered one of next season's recruits, even though he came to school early (at semester break) and watched the team from the bench. He's a freshman and appears to have a lot of potential.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post

Not surprising and can hardly blame him. Biggest mystery of the year for me as to why he didn't get more meaningful playing time.
                  They had high hopes for him coming into this season. However, when two head coaches don't play him much there is a reason. IDK, and no reason to debate why, but it is done. Good Luck to the young man.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

They had high hopes for him coming into this season. However, when two head coaches don't play him much there is a reason. IDK, and no reason to debate why, but it is done. Good Luck to the young man.
                    Yes indeed. Allou is a great young man. He will do well in life without regard of his basketball talents.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

I think coaches get too much heat for not giving players as much playing time as some fans think they should get. A coach's job security is so dependent on winning, that they are going to give minutes to whoever gives them the best chance to win.

Comment

And how many coaches play more then 7 or 8 deep. That's almost standard. Close games coaches shorten the bench even more. A lot of times it's based on practice. How much guys are learning and picking up what the coach wants. There have been players in the past who had a lot of offensive talent but didnt pan out because effort on the defensive end.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Also per Verbal Commits, Owen King has entered the transfer portal. I'm guessing few if any are surprised by this, as it had been speculated for a while now. Best of luck to Owen on wherever he lands.

Comment

Also per Verbal Commits, Owen King has entered the transfer portal. I'm guessing few if any are surprised by this, as it had been speculated for a while now. Best of luck to Owen on wherever he lands.
                            It will be interesting if he becomes part of a package deal with his brother.. That should mean that three scholarships are available.

Comment

I see that UND has three players in the portal. The overall list is huge - imagine the chaos if the go to the proposed one-time-transfer setup!

It will be fun to see what the staff can do with the open scholarships. A juco/grad-transfer and a couple freshmen would seem to balance things out a little. I see that we offered a 2020 shooting guard out of Illinois earlier today.

Comment

Working...
                              X