GDT: Jackrabbits(5-2) vs Bison(4-1) @ Frost Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits(5-2) vs Bison(4-1) @ Frost Arena

It seems odd that we are at 8 conference games when the rest of the teams are at 5 or 6. I'm trying to decide if it is an advantage because it will give the freshman a chance to get their legs back under them or if we need the court time so we don't lose chemistry and confidence.

Comment

Right, Denver has only one senior (15 ppg, 3-year starter) and one junior (who doesn't play much). They are stumbling through a much more typical "young team" season, currently 5-15. What's happening in Brookings is pretty strange for a mid-major team.

Comment

The Feb 27th showdown in Fargo looms large... could determine the #1 seed in the tournament. However, I don't think the path for the 1 and 2 seeds will be that much different in a year like this where there's a lot of parity at the top.

My guess is USD hits their stride and fights for the top 2 seeds along with SDSU and NDSU. I don't think ORU or Omaha can keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
          It seems odd that we are at 8 conference games when the rest of the teams are at 5 or 6. I'm trying to decide if it is an advantage because it will give the freshman a chance to get their legs back under them or if we need the court time so we don't lose chemistry and confidence.
          I think that with the injury issues we have, it's a good thing. Less games left means more time between games to recover and less wear and tear between now and the SLT.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            A lot of credit should go to Justin Sell for the almost immediate hiring of Hendo. Not only was he able to keep the team and recruits coming in but has this team playing very well with still some very real upside.

It is crazy to think that this team is playing this well with such a young lineup. We start two juniors, a sophomore, and two freshmen. There were several times when we had Arians (junior) and four freshmen on the floor last night.

Maybe a thank you to UNLV is in order as well.

The future of SDSU MBB is really bright.

SUPERBUNNY
            This got me thinking, if TJ was still here what would the team look like? I think TJ had Grille and Owen Colbern as 2 of his 4 recruits with Scheierman and Wilson. Didn't Freidel and Wingett come in after TJ left. Of course, Owen might have left anyway. Since Hendo was here, they might have got either Wingett or Freidel anyway. Would Key have left so they both would have been here?

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
              This got me thinking, if TJ was still here what would the team look like? I think TJ had Grille and Owen Colbern as 2 of his 4 recruits with Scheierman and Wilson. Didn't Freidel and Wingett come in after TJ left. Of course, Owen might have left anyway. Since Hendo was here, they might have got either Wingett or Freidel anyway. Would Key have left so they both would have been here?
              Grille and Jenkins would be here.
              Scheierman would be.
              Wilson would be, as well.
              Coburn, most likely would have still gone back down to JuCo.
              Freidel wouldn't be here, he took Grille's spot.
              Wingett wouldn't be here, he took Jenkins spot.
              Key would have probably left. Opening another spot.
              (This is my guess. I don't know, obviously)

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                The Feb 27th showdown in Fargo looms large... could determine the #1 seed in the tournament. However, I don't think the path for the 1 and 2 seeds will be that much different in a year like this where there's a lot of parity at the top.

My guess is USD hits their stride and fights for the top 2 seeds along with SDSU and NDSU. I don't think ORU or Omaha can keep up.
                IMO, the #1 seed is very important because of the NIT autobid. Doesn't mean so much as far as the path to the SLT title (1 vs. 2) but if you happen to get upset the NIT is a chance to win a P5 game or two.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

The path may not be much harder, but having Sunday off is crucial.

Comment

Honestly making any post season tournament like the cti it cbi ot whatever they are called would be fine. Anything to get this team to play more games together would be great leading into next year. Winning a few games there would a plus if they miss ncaa or nit.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      The path may not be much harder, but having Sunday off is crucial.
                      Didnt really help us last year. We were off sunday either way.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        IMO, the #1 seed is very important because of the NIT autobid. Doesn't mean so much as far as the path to the SLT title (1 vs. 2) but if you happen to get upset the NIT is a chance to win a P5 game or two.
                        This is a good point.

Comment

Thanks for not dissing the NIT. I know last year's loss to WIU was a big disappointment, but a win against Texas and maybe another win would have helped our reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Didnt really help us last year. We were off sunday either way.
                            Also, a team that had to play on Sunday won the tournament two out of the last three years....

I'm all in on hoping we get that #1 seed (for the NIT reason also), but after the last three years the day off just doesn't seem quite as critical as I thought it was. It seems that the most important thing is probably rolling into that tournament on a hot streak and then getting some luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

Also, a team that had to play on Sunday won the tournament two out of the last three years....

I'm all in on hoping we get that #1 seed (for the NIT reason also), but after the last three years the day off just doesn't seem quite as critical as I thought it was. It seems that the most important thing is probably rolling into that tournament on a hot streak and then getting some luck.
                              The day break is probably more important for a team like USD that is playing heavy heavy minutes.

Comment

The day break is probably more important for a team like USD that is playing heavy heavy minutes.
                                I think your right, they have 4 players over 30 minutes agame and the 5th is at 29 minutes agame I think. Also they have no bench to contribute anything productive.

Comment

Working...
                                X