GDT-UTRGV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT-UTRGV

7 pts 6 assists for Key with 2 turnovers. Pretty solid.

Comment

52-45 Jacks at the under 8.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Key has been our offensive catalyst all night. He's created so many opportunities for his teammates well beyond the one's he's got assists for.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          Don't think he is used time going up against someone quicker than him.

Comment

What is up with the officials. Arians a foul when they knocked it out of bounds then a foul on key trying to get open to get in bound pass?
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Free throws.

Comment

58-51 Jacks at the under 4.

Missing front ends of 1 and 1s is hurting us... actually, we really haven't been good at the stripe all night. Dent going to the line shooting 2 when we come back.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Overall, the Jacks have been very impressive. The two "bigs," Wilson and Dentlinger have looked very good. That's especially encouraging.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Great defensive performance tonight. Only gave up 30% shooting

Comment

I have some thoughts.

- Key was really good. Good decision making, good passing, annoying defense, and his shot looked much better.

- Key being the only person on this roster (so far) that can create his own shot/any offense at all does not bode well for later on. Going to need a few people to step up.

- Doug Wilson is awesome and I got really disappointed every time he didn't dunk it. Relied mostly on cuts/transition to get shots, though.

- Rebounding was really good.

- Shooting ... yeesh. There are not shooters on this team, and that's going to kill us at times. I'm sure the over 40 crowd loves the lack of 3s though.

- Dentlinger was awesome. Solid play all around, and he was at his best when we didn't force the ball to him and his shots came in the flow.

- With Dillon, I'd be okay with not seeing him try to do anything on offense for the rest of the season. Just set some screens and roll my friend. Please stop shooting 3s.

- Defense was good. I'll be curious if we switch our strategy against better shooting teams. We really clogged the lane tonight and it worked well against this crew.

- I want more ball screen action. Without people to create their own shots, we need to use ball screens to get people moving towards the basket and set up passes out of those actions.

- I'd be fine with ditching the straight up low post-up attempts. Even when they worked, no one moved off of them and Alou and Dentlinger just don't have the 1-1 low post skill to do it too successfully right now. They both looked better when they caught the ball in the mid and high post and could turn and face.

- Too many turnovers by everyone not named Key. Need other people to take care of the ball.

- Free throws, duh.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

70-57 Final. Jacks win!
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

I agree that Key was really good. Lots to be encouraged about tonight, but team shooting was an obvious weakness. A couple perimeter shooters are going to have to emerge before conference games start.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            - Shooting ... yeesh. There are not shooters on this team, and that's going to kill us at times. I'm sure the over 40 crowd loves the lack of 3s though.
                            We didn't shoot well from the outside tonight, but I wouldn't say we don't have any shooters. Freidel and Wingett can shoot it, but neither had any rhythm tonight. I expect that to change as the season progresses. I think Ariens and Scheierman will be at least serviceable (35%ish) from the perimeter as well.

What is nice about the way this team plays is we can win games where we're off from beyond the arc. Last year if we shot like this we would have got ran out of the gym.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

The thread where everyone thought the sky was falling may be fun to revisit in a few months.

Comment

Agreed outside shooting was a struggle tonight, but give it a few games before deciding nobody can shoot.

Remember this is the first game and for a handful of them the first game of their college career. I would expect outside shooting from Arians, Freidel and Wingett to be just fine as things move forward and everyone gets more comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                                X