No announcement yet.

2020 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to a tweet from the player himself, the Jacks have offered 6'7 PF Luke Appel from Kirkwood CC ( same JUCO as Douglas Wilson ). Also has offers from USD, Illinois State and Jacksonville.

Comment

Anyone heard any updates on Latrell Wrightsell Jr? The more I read & see videos of this kid, he could be a game changer and create a formidable back court with Willie & Alex. Super athletic and described as a 3 & D guard in one write up. I don't think he's quite DJJ Impact but not far behind. His recruitment has picked up and bigger programs have called on him.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
        Anyone heard any updates on Latrell Wrightsell Jr? The more I read & see videos of this kid, he could be a game changer and create a formidable back court with Willie & Alex. Super athletic and described as a 3 & D guard in one write up. I don't think he's quite DJJ Impact but not far behind. His recruitment has picked up and bigger programs have called on him.
        Maybe I'm taking your comment out of context, but are you saying the current backcourt hasn't been formidable? I get wanting to add talent and if Wrightsell and Mfum can improve the team that's great, but it seems a bit disrespectful to the current guards who have us first place in the summit to say only with those 2 additions will we have a formidable backcourt.

Comment

Originally posted by blue? View Post

Maybe I'm taking your comment out of context, but are you saying the current backcourt hasn't been formidable? I get wanting to add talent and if Wrightsell and Mfum can improve the team that's great, but it seems a bit disrespectful to the current guards who have us first place in the summit to say only with those 2 additions will we have a formidable backcourt.
          You are definitely taking things way out of context. My comments had nothing to do with our current back court and more to do with Wrightsell being a potential steal if we were able to land him. I think most would agree we could use more ball handlers and athleticism on the perimeter. As it stands there is no clear backup PG going forward. Plus the team consists of mostly Posts & Wings. Key Graduates, a lot of uncertainty with Owen's future, and his brother who's a guard de-committed. So it would be helpful to add another guard. Think a little before jumping all over someone's post that was simply a question about a recruit's interest in our program.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post

You are definitely taking things way out of context. My comments had nothing to do with our current back court and more to do with Wrightsell being a potential steal if we were able to land him. I think most would agree we could use more ball handlers and athleticism on the perimeter. As it stands there is no clear backup PG going forward. Plus the team consists of mostly Posts & Wings. Key Graduates, a lot of uncertainty with Owen's future, and his brother who's a guard de-committed. So it would be helpful to add another guard. Think a little before jumping all over someone's post that was simply a question about a recruit's interest in our program.
            First, eat a snickers and take a deep breath. I didn't jump all over your post and prefaced my comment right at the beginning that I may be reading more into things that you intended. If I did, I apologize.

Second, if you were talking specifically about the point guard I agree that depth at that position will be needed with Key's graduation and King's speculated-on transfer. You didn't say point guard, however, you said backcourt, which is typically referring to both guard positions, and sometimes even the 3 with today's guard heavy offenses.

Finally, I hope he's as good as you believe he is and he comes to Brookings. This year's team has been a great surprise and they should only be better next year. Adding two more good pieces to the mix could make next year's squad scary.

Comment

The speculation about Owen King may need to take a break unless there is more evidence than Noah King pulling his verbal. Unless there is more than speculation, it is a bit premature to have him on the transfer portal. He is still practicing with the team and he is in uniform on the bench during games. Situations in the past found neither of those criteria. Meanwhile Wrightsell was on the Jackrabbit radar in July according to the Verbal Commits that I found. He is also on other mid major radar as well which may swell to larger programs as he plays the season and gets more attention due to current play. They list him as combo SG & PG. He also has some great springs to get up in the air.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I think the fact Owen's brother decommitted and he is not in the rotation is enough evidence he will be transferring.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  I think the fact Owen's brother decommitted and he is not in the rotation is enough evidence he will be transferring.
                  Hmmmm, not in the rotation logic. Ok, I am convinced now. Thanks for the help.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Your welcome. You honestly think after playing his freshman year he is going to come back after getting no relevant playing time this year? His brother decommitting is the giveaway he will not be returning. I don't feel he does anything extraordinary.

Comment

I thought it was posted somewhere Owen was going to transfer or maybe not not made public yet. I dont remember.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        I thought it was posted somewhere Owen was going to transfer or maybe not not made public yet. I dont remember.
                        There's been lots of speculation, but I doubt he (or any player) would go on the record that they are transferring while still on the active roster.

Comment

I don't recall seeing any public statement made by Owen or the program but rather conjecture a given his limited minutes and his brother de-committing. To be fair to him we should probably all stop commenting on it until anything is ever actually announced.

In the meantime, let's just all agree that MNJack3 was throwing our current backcourt (pg, sg, sf) under the bus while wishing for the kid from Omaha... (sarcasm font MNJack, let's be friends).

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

Hmmmm, not in the rotation logic. Ok, I am convinced now. Thanks for the help.
                            Add in that Hendo has extended offers to 2 JUCO's (Mitchell & Appel) that would fall into the same class as Owen suggested to me Owen's finishing out the year and then will go elsewhere. It's almost predictable in this era of college hoops who will transfer, because no team is immune to it.

Comment

BTW. for whatever this is worth... Owen has been cheering for his teammates on the bench, and the one game where everyone was in foul trouble he came in and provided solid minutes.

So, regardless what his future holds, I give him respect for continuing to support his current teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                                BTW. for whatever this is worth... Owen has been cheering for his teammates on the bench, and the one game where everyone was in foul trouble he came in and provided solid minutes.

So, regardless what his future holds, I give him respect for continuing to support his current teammates.
                                And that is the rest of the story.. Also, this is fact about a current teammate.

Comment

Working...
                                X