Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Men's Roster

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    I just saw the tweet and was completely surprised by this since he never announced his release. No clue the reasoning.

    Probably won't affect this coming season much as he was likely a redshirt candidate, but hurts post depth for the future.
    Shooting from hip, has he not been on campus and practicing this summer? Could this move be a coaching recommendation? Too much of a project? Just speculating!!

    Comment


    • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

      Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Shooting from hip, has he not been on campus and practicing this summer? Could this move be a coaching recommendation? Too much of a project? Just speculating!!
      This or he is convinced he can play at a higher level.

      Comment


      • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

        Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        This or he is convinced he can play at a higher level.
        Three time 3A All-State Iowa hardly a project. I think you are on to something.

        Comment


        • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

          Could very likely be a mutual decision. If the Jacks are going to continue to be an up-tempo push the ball offense, a 6'10 true post may not be the best fit. Wilson, Dillon and Dentlinger seem to be more mobile, and will all be around for 2 or 3 more seasons. Best wishes to Coburn - I believe he can transfer to a 4 year school after one season of JUCO ball as long as he is OK academically, which he should be. This way he doesn't have to sit a year, and will have 3 years of eligibility wherever he goes. And in the long run it will be good for the Jacks, since they will now have 2 spots in upcoming class rather than just one.

          Comment


          • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

            Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Could very likely be a mutual decision. If the Jacks are going to continue to be an up-tempo push the ball offense, a 6'10 true post may not be the best fit. Wilson, Dillon and Dentlinger seem to be more mobile, and will all be around for 2 or 3 more seasons. Best wishes to Coburn - I believe he can transfer to a 4 year school after one season of JUCO ball as long as he is OK academically, which he should be. This way he doesn't have to sit a year, and will have 3 years of eligibility wherever he goes. And in the long run it will be good for the Jacks, since they will now have 2 spots in upcoming class rather than just one.
            Since Owen was a 4 year qualifer out of HS, he'll be able to transfer from JuCo to DI after only 1 season. If he was a non-qualifer academically coming out of HS, he'd have to earn his associates before going DI.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

            Comment


            • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

              This is total speculation on my part, but. Maybe Coburn didn't want to stretch his college career to five years by red shirting but knew or was told he needed some development before getting significant playing time. He could go the JUCO route get playing time and work on whatever was needed and then transfer back to SDSU next year. He is going to Kirkwood which is where Doug Wilson came from so there apparently is some relationship between Kikwod and SDSU

              Comment


              • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                Gotta be more to the story here.

                Comment


                • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                  Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                  This is total speculation on my part, but. Maybe Coburn didn't want to stretch his college career to five years by red shirting but knew or was told he needed some development before getting significant playing time. He could go the JUCO route get playing time and work on whatever was needed and then transfer back to SDSU next year. He is going to Kirkwood which is where Doug Wilson came from so there apparently is some relationship between Kikwod and SDSU
                  I looked at GoJacks and the new player profile on Coburn and did not detect any other unhappiness, but they do get loaded questions and really cannot tell what is running through their mind.i suspect there is a good reason for the transfer.

                  Comment


                  • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                    I'm bummed out about Coburn's departure (for now, anyway). 6-10 guys are rare.
                    This space for lease.

                    Comment


                    • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                      Wasnít a good fit for a few reasons. Nothing weird going on. Only issue is that he was recruited here and lasted a month. Thatís just unfortunate for everyone but it does happen. Better to move on right away when you can (for both parties).
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

                      Comment


                      • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                        Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                        This is total speculation on my part, but. Maybe Coburn didn't want to stretch his college career to five years by red shirting but knew or was told he needed some development before getting significant playing time. He could go the JUCO route get playing time and work on whatever was needed and then transfer back to SDSU next year. He is going to Kirkwood which is where Doug Wilson came from so there apparently is some relationship between Kikwod and SDSU
                        Kirkwood’s HC last year is now an assistant at SDSU.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

                        Comment


                        • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                          Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                          This is total speculation on my part, but. Maybe Coburn didn't want to stretch his college career to five years by red shirting but knew or was told he needed some development before getting significant playing time. He could go the JUCO route get playing time and work on whatever was needed and then transfer back to SDSU next year. He is going to Kirkwood which is where Doug Wilson came from so there apparently is some relationship between Kikwod and SDSU
                          This is similar to my guess. I think he was going to be a big project and maybe they realized that he would benefit more from a juco year than a year riding the pine as a redshirt. I'm guessing they'll at least stay in contact and if he develops enough we may see him back in blue.

                          Comment


                          • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                            Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            This is similar to my guess. I think he was going to be a big project and maybe they realized that he would benefit more from a juco year than a year riding the pine as a redshirt. I'm guessing they'll at least stay in contact and if he develops enough we may see him back in blue.
                            Apparently this appears to be what is happening. You would think there would be more interest by other schools, but does not appear to be happening. What is puzzling is two years of all state recognition and now having skills short comings? A big difference between SL and Iowa High School Class 3A. Here is something very puzzling https://www.prephoops.com/2018/08/pr...n-coburn-2019/
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 07-29-2019, 06:02 AM.

                            Comment


                            • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                              Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Apparently this appears to be what is happening. You would think there would be more interest by other schools, but does not appear to be happening. What is puzzling is two years of all state recognition and now having skills short comings? A big difference between SL and Iowa High School Class 3A. Here is something very puzzling https://www.prephoops.com/2018/08/pr...n-coburn-2019/
                              Complete guess as I don't know anything about the Young Man beyond his profile, but he could have simply dominated IA HS because he's so big and may not have needed to develop playing beyond the low block. Then gets to Brookings and the game moves much faster and he no longer towers over everyone but doesn't have counter moves to play right away. Also if he was on campus and taking classes he would not have been able to play this season at another D-1 without sitting out, additionally he may have had to submit a waiver down the road to get a 4 year of eligibility. Coach Nagy ran into this with a current player on his roster at Wright State.

                              Lastly the team could be feeling confident on Wingett's immediate eligibility and that would have potentially buried Owen for the long run having to compete with Wilson, Dillon, Dentlinger, and Wingett.

                              Comment


                              • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                                Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                Wasnít a good fit for a few reasons. Nothing weird going on. Only issue is that he was recruited here and lasted a month. Thatís just unfortunate for everyone but it does happen. Better to move on right away when you can (for both parties).
                                This. It was a good move for both parties to do it now rather than prolong the inevitable. The fact that he didn't get snagged by another D-I school in the area also tells you something consider he's 6-10.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X