Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Men's Roster

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
    100% agree with this post. TJ did very little to help this program. That being said, DJJ is a great shooter but I was not looking forward to watching a season full of "Hero Ball" like we saw in Texas. I'm afraid that's what we were maybe going see with Daum gone.
    No need to pile on. If I recall. Mike Daum had two fouls in the first 8 minutes of the 2018 SL Championship game and DJ Jr. saved SDSU's tournament bid. I guarantee everyone of us was out of our seats yelling and screaming our support. Great player. If he decided tomorrow to come back to State everyone on this site and Jackrabbit Nation would welcome him back with open arms.....

    Difficult times ahead. Be patient people. Life as a Mid-Major isn't always easy. If you didn't think TJ was always looking for the next job you were blinded by your Jackrabbit fandom. The day has come and he has gone. I agree he has left this program in a difficult position and it will take time to rebuild. This isn't fun for sure. We have trust in the people in charge and keep supporting the cause.

    Go Rabbits!

    Comment


    • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

      Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit
      The entire culture of basketball is broken. From when kids start playing through the NBA. The AAU culture in basketball has created this entire situation. If players and families don't get what they want from one team they're gone. See you later with no regard for the other players. Back door deals. Picking up players for the weekend, etc. No loyalty to the team, the program or the community. It's just the culture of the basketball......

      Go Rabbits!
      Yep and high school coaches on the hot seat because they might have some kids on aau who play and coach differently and high school.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

      Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

      Comment


      • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

        Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        The whole transfer situation in this sport is getting ridiculous with what, 400+ players on the transfer portal list ? I hate to imagine the **** show that's going to happen if the NCAA adopts the proposal to allow transfers anywhere anytime without having to sit.
        The entire culture of basketball is broken. From when kids start playing through the NBA. The AAU culture in basketball has created this entire situation. If players and families don't get what they want from one team they're gone. See you later with no regard for the other players. Back door deals. Picking up players for the weekend, etc. No loyalty to the team, the program or the community. It's just the culture of the basketball......

        Go Rabbits!

        Comment


        • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

          Originally posted by goon View Post
          Yep and high school coaches on the hot seat because they might have some kids on aau who play and coach differently and high school. Coaches get on the hot seat for it.
          Totally agree. It's so maddening how summer teams run the sport.

          Go Rabbits!

          Comment


          • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

            Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
            No need to pile on. If I recall. Mike Daum had two fouls in the first 8 minutes of the 2018 SL Championship game and DJ Jr. saved SDSU's tournament bid. I guarantee everyone of us was out of our seats yelling and screaming our support. Great player. If he decided tomorrow to come back to State everyone on this site and Jackrabbit Nation would welcome him back with open arms.....

            Difficult times ahead. Be patient people. Life as a Mid-Major isn't always easy. If you didn't think TJ was always looking for the next job you were blinded by your Jackrabbit fandom. The day has come and he has gone. I agree he has left this program in a difficult position and it will take time to rebuild. This isn't fun for sure. We have trust in the people in charge and keep supporting the cause.

            Go Rabbits!
            I agree that DJ is a very talented player and we would welcome him back with open arms. That being said SDSU basketball is bigger than DJ or Grill or any other recruit or player. We will be fine. Time for the players that want to be here to step up!

            As far as last year's SLT championship, I still think Brandon Key was our most important player. He stepped up big time with energy plays and some timely scoring. It's interesting that he's listed on the 2019-2020 roster.

            Comment


            • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

              Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
              A message to recruits is different than the flack he's taking from his message to the current team, and it's also important to distinguish an open recruit vs. commits.

              I believe that he genuinely wanted the current players to stay. And DJJ decommiting does not equate to Otz actively recruiting him to UNLV. In fact I'd be surprised if DJJ went to UNLV.

              The message to recruits is fuzzier. You're right that it's not very chill to give that message to Antonio. But we don't have evidence that he is trying to sway the current commits to UNLV, as far as I know. I get both sides of the argument here, but Otz got PAID and anyone who says they wouldn't have taken that job is either dumb or lying. Now Otz has a job to do to earn his paycheck, and I guess I think it's fair game to continue recruiting non-committed JUCO recruits. The message wasn't super chill, but Otz has a fair right to go after Antonio. And unless we have evidence that Otz was in Grill or DJJ's ear to follow him, I won't necessarily blame him for their departures. They're both high end P5 caliber players who have a choice to make now and it's fair for them to evaluate their options as much as it hurts us.
              I'm not necessarily an Otz Apologist but I had great Interactions with the man (out side pf being critical of the lack of defense) I can't say much bad about him.
              But I've been looking at the info from a different lens in regard to the Article from post #81.

              It is not only possible but likely that recruits understand the way that Mid-major coaches on the rise work. It then is no stretch to believe that the recruit himself brought the question (since we have established earlier on this thread that kids only commit to a school and not a coach).
              If this was the case (Likely IMO) and TJ said "If I were to leave..." I don't think that's dirty pool, in fact quite the opposite as he was trying to sell the recruit on the fact that he was only going to leave if the right situation presented its self. TJ was being honest, that's how you develop rapport.

              I think we are all mad over the loss of our top recruit(s)/Players and when TJ came in that was quite likely and it didn't happen (because of who he is) we would be less upset if it had happened before. Unfortunately I post more on neg things as its easier to B!7(H than praise it seams. But we need to take a step back and accept reality.
              TJ probably did say honor your commitment but if Say DJJ says I only want to play for you or somewhere else (multiple times well say) eventually you just accept the fact that it's you who gets him or anybody but SDSU.

              Just my view.

              Comment


              • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                No need to pile on. If I recall. Mike Daum had two fouls in the first 8 minutes of the 2018 SL Championship game and DJ Jr. saved SDSU's tournament bid. I guarantee everyone of us was out of our seats yelling and screaming our support. Great player. If he decided tomorrow to come back to State everyone on this site and Jackrabbit Nation would welcome him back with open arms.....

                Difficult times ahead. Be patient people. Life as a Mid-Major isn't always easy. If you didn't think TJ was always looking for the next job you were blinded by your Jackrabbit fandom. The day has come and he has gone. I agree he has left this program in a difficult position and it will take time to rebuild. This isn't fun for sure. We have trust in the people in charge and keep supporting the cause.

                Go Rabbits!
                i would welcome DJJ back with the caveat that he doesn't become a one man team trying to pad his stats and become that player the media seems to make the whole game about, i.e. Zion, Ionescu, "king" james,

                Comment


                • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                  Otz went from 3 years, $1.05 million to 5 years, $6.5 million. Can't blame him. Hopefully in 3-8 years we see his name at a P5 school on a deal like Hoiberg just got. Otz re-recruited Daum to stay, Daum has publicly stated that Otz is the best coach he's ever been around. Jenkins is seeing all these other players playing in March Madness right now and also wants that, can't blame him. Could he start at most P5 schools? Probably? He could at least be a good contributor at probably any school in the country. It's life of a mid-major, unless you could somehow develop your mid-major into a Gonzaga Basketball or Boise State football program, it's just what life is.

                  Comment


                  • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                    Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                    Otz went from 3 years, $1.05 million to 5 years, $6.5 million. Can't blame him. Hopefully in 3-8 years we see his name at a P5 school on a deal like Hoiberg just got. Otz re-recruited Daum to stay, Daum has publicly stated that Otz is the best coach he's ever been around. Jenkins is seeing all these other players playing in March Madness right now and also wants that, can't blame him. Could he start at most P5 schools? Probably? He could at least be a good contributor at probably any school in the country. It's life of a mid-major, unless you could somehow develop your mid-major into a Gonzaga Basketball or Boise State football program, it's just what life is.
                    The 6.5 million deal might be the best in his lifetime. If T.J. had choices, I think I would have passed on UNLV. Better coaches than T.J. with winning records have been fired for different reasons. UNLV is a tough place to coach.

                    Comment


                    • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                      Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                      I am not sure I agree. The program was devoid of guards who could play. TJ had to get several grad transfers to fill immediate gaps.

                      Yes, Hendo doesn't have Daum whom TJ inherited but he does have DJJ!
                      Cole Gentry may have an argument about competent point guards. Sweeping statements like devoid are not always true.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

                      Comment


                      • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                        Sure seems that TJ could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves. We won games while he was here so it's hard to be too critical of the guy. As far as how he left the program, I'll wait until I see the guys we have on the team now on the court before I cast too many stones.

                        Comment


                        • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                          Anyone find it odd that it still shows Brandon Key on the updated roster on gojacks? Was sitting out last year the result of issues with TJ and Brandon and now that TJ is gone, Brandon is planning to come back?

                          Comment


                          • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                            Originally posted by Jacks View Post
                            Anyone find it odd that it still shows Brandon Key on the updated roster on gojacks? Was sitting out last year the result of issues with TJ and Brandon and now that TJ is gone, Brandon is planning to come back?
                            Maybe he returned the belt.

                            Comment


                            • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                              Originally posted by Jacks View Post
                              Anyone find it odd that it still shows Brandon Key on the updated roster on gojacks? Was sitting out last year the result of issues with TJ and Brandon and now that TJ is gone, Brandon is planning to come back?
                              Well, his name isn't listed on the transfer portal while DJJ already is, so there's that.

                              https://watchstadium.com/news/compre...ng-12-29-2018/
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

                              Comment


                              • Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

                                Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                                Well, his name isn't listed on the transfer portal while DJJ already is, so there's that.

                                https://watchstadium.com/news/compre...ng-12-29-2018/
                                Are grad transfers on the list prior to graduation?
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X