Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JACKS Basketball

89rabbit:
    I guess I do need to hit the lottery, as I am going to have to cut a few corners to continue my current life style into retirement.

I get the impresson that the owners of these small dailies, kind of leave the publisher alone, because he is probably a local guy and knows his community. This is why I am disappointed with Billy Mac. I know he was a great ball player and still is for that matter, but he seems to not want to be a lackey for SDSU especially for the move to D1. I wish some one close to him could come on here and tell me I am wrong.

So I dont know what more to say.

Granted both UND and NDSU are located in larger population centers, but newspaper coverage can be just as complete as in a community of 17000 as say 170,000.  Its up to the newspaper to do its job. I put the Register and its lack of publicty above Jerry Oster and his color comments, and the coaching calls of Stig as far as a pet peeve list.

Comment

Fair enough, I can't (don't even want to) defend the Register. As you know I went to High School with Billy, he was on our State Champion Football team, but he was a Sophomore when I was a Sr. (he was only put on the team after the So. season was over so he was with us during the final Reg. Season game and playoff run). So I don't really know him that well. So I can't say what is on his mind.

What I can tell you from what I know about him is he is what I would call a SD tradtionalist. Loves the amateure baseball season, loves to hunt, hasn't lived outside South Dakota (as far as I know), so it would not surprise me if he is a FES member.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
        I've felt all along that the Argus will come around on the Jacks. Remember NDSU is in Fargo and thus gets a lot of coverage. I think if SDSU was in Sioux Falls it would be a whole different story. As people start to realize both inside and outside the Jack family that the college sports entertainment value is about to be enhanced like the state of South Dakota has never seen it will catch on with both the media and the casual sports fan. I don't see any reason why Brookings and SDSU can't capture the excitement similiar to Lincoln on football game day or in Lawrence Kansas for a Basketball game.  The potential is there for the taking as the USD and Augustana sports scene is reeling. There is no other D1 sports program in the state that SDSU has to compete with. Its important we get in a conference,have some relative success soon and build an atmosphere that says this is the place to be on game day!
        I think you are right on JACKGUY. It would be a whole different story if SDSU was in Sioux Falls. They still think of themselves as a hometown paper instead of a regional paper. I think they feel it is their job to cover Sioux Falls College and Augie as much as they can for the "home" folks. Our move to D-I upsets what they have been trying to do. However I think you are correct that the Argus will come around. After all I don't think the Omaha paper views covering the Huskers (of Lincoln) in-depth as some sort of betrayal of Omaha.

Go SDSU!

Comment

Just to get us back on Topic, Jacks Basketball ROCKS! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            Just to get us back on Topic, Jacks Basketball ROCKS!  8)
            No arguement here. I am looking forward to this weekend and to see all the new Jacks in action.

Comment

This Texan (South Dakotan at heart) will be at both games. I can't wait to see this team ! ;D ;D
              Go SDSU

Comment

I don't put much emphasis in these pre-season polls, but it is infuriating that USD was ranked nationally by the Division II Bulletin at #3 and the Jacks #15. I know other publications have the Jacks ranked higher at #5. A number of teams in the top 25 have lost and if they ever update the poll we should move up. NDSU gave Cal POLy all they wanted

Comment

We probably wont know until after the regional who is the best team in South Dakota. USD is probably getting the movement due to Tommy King and Jackass Mueller.

USD did look like a very good ball team in the the Thanksgiving Classic, but SDSU has a great team too. I guess we just need to keep winning.

Comment

Is there a bigger ass (he is not deserving of the Jack part) in college basketball than Mueller?

Comment

The answer is a unqualified NO.

Comment

Working...
                      X