JACKS Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JACKS Basketball

I'd love to see a couple of D1 games on the schedule this year (even as an exhibition or two). With the Jacks' size, depth, and experience, I think we'd be a fairly unpleasant surprise for many D1 programs.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think a couple games with Mid-Con, Big Sky, or Horizon teams would be great, but I don't they would want to be embarassed by a DII team. I wonder how much playing a DII program effects their RPI.

Comment

I may be mistaken, but I don't think RPI counts non-D1 games at all.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't have the answear to the RPI question, and let me add to it, so someone can enlighten us both. Now that we are in our exploratory year does that make us easier to schedule for RPI purposes?

Go Jacks!

Comment

I received a call last night from a friend of mine from Sioux Falls, He had run into Fred Oien while shopping at Home Depot, and had a casual conversation about the D1 move and basketball. Oien said that coach Nagy has said that this is his best recruiting class ever. Those four Iowa all staters are all D1 caliber players and real studs. It will be interesting with all of the talent coming back from the medical exemptions from last year, if these kids will get redshirted of brought up right away. Jacks basketball is looking goooooood.
            GoRabbits

Comment

I agree that this recruiting class is special and in terms of incoming freshman have more talent as a group than in years past. If you want to learn more about this group go to iowapreps.com. Click on Basketball and go to Basketball news and click on top players class of 2003. The four recruits include Beran,Green,Looney and Wenig. Their college choice(SDSU) is listed below and you can click on their name to get more detailed info. I also belive in addition to the probable starters I listed above you have a good group coming off the bench including:Hokenson,Gass,Melaney,DeJong and Kleinjan. I think Jacks Basketball will be exciting for years to come. I think these four recruits came based on the potential of playing D1 Basketball at some point in their Jack career!

Comment

BB both men and women are the least of SDSU worries, both have good coaches and good recruiting. I am worried with the football, track and maybe baseball, but again if they got more bucks to offer, who knows who will sign that letter of intent.

If we dont have money to offer, its going to be a long season in a number of sports. Its just my concern, and lets hope we will be afloat financially. Filling Frost will certainly help, but we need other sources too.

Comment

As I typed yesterday, the post has gone into computer limbo, SDSU's Mens schedule is out. No Div. 1 teams :'( but some quality D IIs. It looks very close to what JACKGUY gave us a few weeks ago with a few more home games.

Nov.
                  7 Philadelphia U., Disney Tip-Off Classic, Orlando, FL
                  8 Kennesaw State, Disney Tip-Off Classic, Orlando
                  9 Northern Kentucky, Disney Tip-Off Classic, Orlando
                  21 Minnesota-Duluth, MSU-M Tip-Off Classic, Mankato
                  22 Southwest State, MSU-M Tip-Off Classic, Mankato
                  24 Si Tanka,
                  28 Bemidji State, Jackrabbit Thanksgiving Classic
                  29 Tampa, Jackrabbit Thanksgiving Classic

Dec.
                  3 Presentation
                  6 Northern State
                  9 Concordia, at St. Paul
                  18 Dakota Wesleyan
                  19 Sioux Falls
                  28 Wiona State, Jackrabbit Holiday Classic
                  29 Colorado Mines, Jackrabbit Holiday Classic

Jan.
                  3 Michigan Tech, at Houghton
                  9 South Dakota
                  10 UNO
                  16 Minnesota State-Mankato, at Mankato
                  17 St. Cloud St., at St. Cloud
                  23 North Dakota
                  24 North Dakota State
                  31 Augustana

Feb.
                  7 Augustana, at Sioux Falls
                  13 North Dakota St., at Fargo
                  14 North Dakota, at Grand Forks
                  20 St. Cloud St.
                  21 Minnesota St.-Mankato
                  27 UNO, at Omaha
                  28 South Dakota, at Vermillion

March
                  2 Wells Fargo Quarterfinals
                  5-6 Wells Fargo Finals
                  12-15 NCAA Div. II regionals
                  24-27 NCAA Div. II Elite8, Bakersfield, CA

Texas_Jacks_Fan, brought up a good point (also in a post now in never never land) that it will be great when we can fill our non-conf. games with D I teams rather then schools like Presentation and Si Tanka, and I agree. There are some quality opponenents on this year schedule and I am looking forward to this season. All you can really say is California here I come. . . See you in Bakersfield! ;D

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Two Months from the start of the Basketball Season. I'm predicting an undefeated season at home and an Elite Eight berth in our last DII season. I heard from a good source that Matt Jones is healthy, bulked up and ready to go for the upcoming season.

Comment

I noticed a number of the basketball team members at the football game against Northwest Missouri State. One of the players I was concerned about returning was there (Calvin Melaney) as he was a real force inside and a man among boys with his age and experience in the military.

Comment

Jackguy

I am not surprised as Cal is still part of the team despite the legal mess that he Moeller just got out of. I dont think the coaches want to lose him. The incident may not have been as black and white as it seems and maybe that is why he is still around. You are right he can get those rebounds and he can be tough on offense so we need him as well as the rest of the guys.

Comment

Just a friendly reminder, The basketball season is only 51 days away with the Disney tip off classic. I know we've been focusing on football lately, but it's almost time to start getting ready to watch the best D2 team in the country. I think I can already hear FROST ARENA beckoning.

Go SDSU

Comment

Texas jack fan- I'm with you. Already thinking about how I can get down to Orlando. The Holiday tournaments should be fun! I just learned that the King kid who transferred to USD last year from Iowa State and was 3rd team All-American has gained another year of eligibility is chirping they have the best talent in the country. He is quite a talent , but I question his supporting cast is enough to get it done. A number of the NCC teams have re-tooled with transfers from Junior Colleges and DI schools. I think Mankato and UND could be very strong, but this is the year the Jacks go all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                              Texas jack fan- I'm with you. Already thinking about how I can get down to Orlando. The Holiday tournaments should be fun! I just learned that the King kid who transferred to USD last year from Iowa State and was 3rd team All-American has gained another year of eligibility is chirping they have the best talent in the country. He is quite a talent , but I question his supporting cast is enough to get it done. A number of the NCC teams have re-tooled with transfers from Junior Colleges and DI schools. I think Mankato and UND could be very strong, but this is the year the Jacks go all the way.
                              From your fingers to God's ears, Go Jacks Go!

Comment

Jack Men and Womens Basketball Rosters for 2003/2004
                                now posted on the SDSU website. Nice to see those four Iowa freshman on the roster, but think unless we have early injuries they will be all redshirted.

Comment

Working...
                                X