JACKS Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JACKS Basketball

I am not sure, but I belive the Disney people put up some money, otherwise their name would not be associated with the tourney,, but the teams that are asked to participate never seem to turn it down.  I believe they get all the travel and lodging paid and maybe some other money. I have never seen any public information about the terms of the tourney. We all know how protective Disney is of using their name though so they got to be involved.

I think too that the NCAA D2 basketball committee is involved and they probably make the choices for participating schools. The Disney people would not have a clue on who to invite, but I am sure they want to draw people from all over the USA.

November might be a slow month for DisneyWorld so thats maybe why they got this tourney started. They play close to Opcutt. When I was down there last summer, the Golden Corral buffett near where I was staying was full of basketball players who were apparently part of an AAU tournament for high school stars. So maybe they do a lot of basketball things the whole year around.

I think this is a good deal for SDSU.

Comment

I went to State in the 80's, and I went to all the games. I have been to a few since, but when they announce that the jump is 100% for sure, on the record, I will instantly become a season ticket holder. A lot of the talk on the Bison board has been football, but basketball is where my interest lies with this move. The thought of State someday in the big dance is too cool, win or lose.

Comment

SoDak:
        I think there are many who feel like you do. Basketball is king at SDSU.

Having grown up in Brookings in 1950-60's, I still have vivid recollection of the Ralph Ginn era in Football and long for the return to that era.

From bits and pieces from the Fargo Forum, NDSU once had a president who would not let their athletic dept  solicit downtown businessmen for scholarship funds, and the NDSU football program was grossly underfunded. This would be nearly 50 years ago. SDSU on the other hand was going to surrounding communities and getting what they could and that probably explains NCC championships in 1949-50,-53-55, 57 and 61-63.  NDSU fired Bob Danielsen in 1962 after going 0-10 and a different president made a committment to win with fund raising and the rest is history. Bob Danielsen was one of Ginn's former assistants and a good coach, but you can't win with out good athletes. Most in ND were probably going to UND.  

NDSU Teammakers have raised a ton of money since 1963 and its made a big difference in who they have recruited over the years. They have absorbed the tuition difference betwen North Dakota and Wisconsin, and brought in some very good athletes from Wisconsin.
        Hanesel and Daly did some recruiting in Wisconsin, but I been told that in order to stay in budget, they have limited the recruits from Wisconsin to one or two a year.
        With no D2 schools in Wisc it is about the best area to recruit from.  

I have always been envious of NDSU for having a great football program. I dont expect them to be 2-8 again this year.  

I personally would love to see SDSU put a ton of money into football, but at the same token, I think we need to capitalize on our best program-namely basketball, as it still can progress to a higher level. So first things first.

Comment

I think people who have not taken an active interest in the jacks in recent years should jump on board now as the 2003/2004 could be the best talent and deepest group they have had in a long time if everyone can stay healthy. I believe SDSU could leave DII with a National Championship. If you look at what they did last year with four starters out for the season and one of their best players (Stoebner) out for the Regional Championship game against Kearney on their home floor and we lost by one point to go to the Elite 8. I don't think I was ever been more discouraged being at a sporting event with the exception of the Vikings loss to the Falcons in 98 to go to the Super Bowl than the jacks loss to eventual national champ Metro state at the Regional Championship at Frost Arena in March 2002 by one point. Metro State had a guard from Austrailia that was unconscious and lit it up. I believe it was Schantz who missed the winning basket at the bucket. I think the Jacks are clearly the team to beat in the conference and the region. The unexpected injuries and medical reshirts and thus an extra year of eligibility for Schantz and Cervaney are huge and give what would have been a good experienced team on paper a deep team that has played a lot of tough games.

Comment

JackGuy;
            Its hard to argue with your comments. A NC would definitely help our step up to D1A. What adds to our experienced line up are the true freshman that Troy Larson for the most part recruited. Everyone else got a Morningside basketball player, but we got the coach and his recruiting network. It would had been nice if Troy could have brought Schniderman with him, but he opted for Northern Iowa. The player will be gone in a year or two, but with coach we got him for a longer period of time. Troy works very closely with Scott Nagy and there does not appear to be any ego clashes between the two. The four guys he brought in this year I suspect are very good players and fit the SDSU mold. Otherwise they would not have gotten an offer.

Comment

I agree with you JACKGUY this should be a great season. There could be no better way to leave D II then on Top and I think we have the horses (or should I say rabbits) to make that happen! Lets make one last run at it and make it happen. National Champions, it has a nice ring.

Go State!

Comment

I'm doing some catch up with the posts tonight, I just found my way to the site and its great....My favorite Jacks basketball player is a tie between Chris White and Jason Siempserot, Siempsie was so tough and when you had a have a shot he was the guy. The most physical game I ever saw was against FHSU in the regional final 1996 in Hays , KS. Siempserott was picking himself off the floor all night but he played great that entire tournament as he did all year. Thats my vote.

Comment

I was at that Game in Hays, you are right Sempsrott was a warrior. The next year when we beat Ft. Hays St. in the playoffs is one of my all time favorite games. I also agree with Chris White, he may have been the quickest rabbit I have seen. Two other guys that make my list are Mark Tetzlaff for obvious reason and his teamate Mark Schultz. Schultz was one of the toughest Jacks that I have seen play.

Another guy that comes to mind, but was before my time is Sid Bostic. My dad tells stories of Sid and the National Championship team.

Comment

I always felt that Mark Tetzlaff did more with in basketball with the body he was given than anyone I'd seen. I had a Farm & Ranch Mgmt. class with him, and I swear if someone sneezed he'd fly out of the room. But he was so tough, and so good, and made a living off garbage shots. He always sort of reminded me of McHale, another guy who didn't have the look of the great player he was. 1985 was a great season, and I don't think I've ever heard a louder crowd than the night we beat Cal-Hayward in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak
                      I always felt that Mark Tetzlaff did more with in basketball with the body he was given than anyone I'd seen.  I had a Farm & Ranch Mgmt. class with him, and I swear if someone sneezed he'd fly out of the room.  But he was so tough, and so good, and made a living off garbage shots.  He always sort of reminded me of McHale, another guy who didn't have the look of the great player he was.   1985 was a great season, and I don't think I've ever heard a louder crowd than the night we beat Cal-Hayward in the playoffs.  
                      The Cal-State-Hayward Playoff game has to be my all time favorite.  Frost Arena was packed.  It sent us to the Final 4 in Springfield, Mass. my Freshmen year.  What a game! I remember one of the local TV stations out there asked our guys what it was like playing in front of the "big crowds" in Springfield (a few thousand,  I recall) and I think it was Schultz who told them that at the Cal-State-Hayward game we had close to 10,000. Still a D II playoff record, I think. ;D

Comment

I was a Freshman for the Cal-Hayward game, Youre right that was the loudest game I have ever been to at any level including the, ACC Conference, and the NBA. Those Cal players were taking pictures of the crowd during pre game warmups and a couple of them were visibly shaken from that atmosphere. As I remember we won that game by 4 or 6 points, The Frost Arena crowd was a big part of it.

Comment

I was at the Cal-Hayward game, too. You're right, the noise volume was comparable to a Metrodome game I went to late during one of the Twins' world series championship seasons. It was also easily as loud as was KU's Allen Fieldhouse last season when I went to some Big 12 conference games. In atmosphere, Frost is second to nowhere in professional or big-time college sports.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Just heard that former Jacks star Austin Hanson is on the coaching staff at Mn. State. After watching him on the court for the last four years, Mav fans will be very happy to have him helping our team!

Comment

MSUMAV

I am sure Austin will do a good job coaching. Yes he  certainly was one of SDSU'S great players.  With Morganenthaler, Schott, and Hansen, its quite a SDSU connection. I expect  MSU-Mankato will be very good in the near future. Your program is in good hands.

Comment

I think the Jacks will have a good problem this year and that is finding enough minutes for all the experienced and talented players that have returning. With Schantz and Cervaney unexpectedly returning because of medical reshirts we have a lot of people competing for minutes. I see a potential starting five of Richardson,Moeller,Jones,Schantz,Cervaney and a very deep bench. Will be interesting to see if any of the 4 freshman all-state players from Iowa will compete for time or will they all be redshirted.

Comment

Working...
                                X