USF game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USF game

Coach is pretty unhappy with the direction that the team is going. He says he is getting inconsistent play from everyone except Moeller. He is very unhappy with our post play. > He said they are getting pushed around and that is why he went to a smaller line up in the second half.

Texas he just said what you did. . . that we will lose to better teams if we don't pick it up. He did end by saying after the Christmas break (which he says the team needs) he is sure they will get better.

We all need to remember that we are 13-0!

Go State!

Comment

Props to SFU, They competed hard tonight, and were not intimidated by Frost or our team. It sounded like they really hustled all night. I just listened to their coaches comments, he is a classy guy. He is, and should be proud of his team.
      What was said in the Coach Nagy interview ?

Comment

"What was said in the Coach Nagy interview ?"

What was said is what 89Rabbit posted. Coach knows where everything is at and if he is worried, then we should be too, but its been a pressure pot for the kid so far. With finals and a Xmas break, they should come back. Hopefully Jones wont be gone for long.

Comment

Reading the prior posts, I believe USF is not a team we can scorn this year. Roberts is a USD Transfer and Esslink started out at Augie transfered to U Of Minn and now back to USF. I read that Esslinks grandfather who is very close to him was in bad health and thats why he left U OF Minn. Esslink went to high school at Hills Minn so he is very close to SF and grand-dad by coming back to USF.

Plus the coaching of Shane Murphy is very good. He no doubt knows Nagy schemes better than most NAIA coaches and was Dave Boots assistant for a while. As Jackmd said he knows him as a good guy and he probably is. He was also a good USD player too.

So USF will probably finish high in their conference. USF is much better than DWU. They had a good roster before they got Esslink and Roberts. So in a way I am not that surprised by the score.

Comment

Here is the Argus story from last night's game:

Jackrabbits survive Cougars' challenge
            FROM STAFF REPORTS

published: 12/20/2003

BROOKINGS - The South Dakota State men's basketball team got an unexpected scare from the University of Sioux Falls.

The Jackrabbits trailed by two at halftime, then used a 21-5 run early in the second half to pull away to an 88-77 victory Friday night at Frost Arena.

SDSU, ranked No. 3 in this week's NABC/Division II Bulletin poll, improves to 13-0.

"I thought our guys were absolutely horrible, because I thought the University of Sioux Falls whipped us physically," Jackrabbit coach Scott Nagy said. "I'm embarrassed, and I think our players are embarassed. Sioux Falls should feel good."

Andy Moeller scored a career high 30 points, including nine in the key run in the final half. That burst included a stretch of 14 straight Jackrabbit points.

"This is a good thing. I know our guys feel bad because they wanted to win," USF coach Shane Murphy said. "Everybody in that locker room believed we had a chance to win this thing."

The Cougars (10-6) cut it back to 76-70 with 3:17 to play on a 3-pointer by guard Steve Esselink, who led USF with 20 points.

With about 2O minutes remaining, USF's JD Roberts missed a wide-open layup that would have made it a five-point game.

Instead, Moeller hit a 3-pointer at the other end of the floor that made it 80-70 and, essentially, sealed the Jackrabbit victory. sdsu's last eight points came from free-throw line.

"We had to get our guards some good shots. All our post players were getting pushed around. Frankly, we were getting beat up," Nagy said. "I told our guys we had to get Andy some more shots. We weren't getting anything done inside."

SDSU outrebounded the Cougars 44-36. USF committed 28 fouls in the physical contest to the Jacks' 17.

"I thought we battled them really hard on the boards," Murphy said. "We had to show them that we were not going to take any of that physical play on the other end."

Brett Moody added 14 points, and Roberts finished with 13 points and 12 boards. Esselink scored 18 of his points in the final half to keep USF close.

"I know they only had 11 points in the first 12 minutes, then Esselink got going," Nagy said. "Once that happened, we couldn't get him stopped."

Marquise Richardson scored 14 points and Joe Green had 13 points and 10 rebounds for SDSU, which shot just 39.5 percent in the first half.

"I'm really proud of my guys, the way they competed tonight," Murphy said. "We need to work really hard to get this team to show up every night. We're starting to figure out how good this team can be."

USF's next game is Dec. 29 at Minnesota State-Mankato. SDSU hosts Winona State on Dec. 28 in the Jackrabbit Holiday Classic.

Just keep remembering 13-0, 13-0! ;D We will be ok.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
            X