Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech

Jacks "only" played 9 players ...
    Moeller 15 points/10 rebounds, Schantz 12 points, DeJong 12, Beran 10, Richardson 7, Green 5, Gass 2, Wenig did not score.

Nagy:
    Good effort...we didn't play great, part of that because of them, they slowed the ball down. We defended well.

Weren't patient enough, too much dribbling in second half when it got tight. Should have won easier than we did, missed too many free throws.

Schantz hit one real tough shot. Officials let both sides go, well officiated game. Really needed Schantz's shot. At the end, go flat and give Andy the ball.

Richardson hit big 3 at end of first half, very big shot.

Did a great job on their big scorer Bittner, he dribbles hard then pulls up and shoots. Marquise did a great job on him. Fantastic job.

DeJong's two back to back baskets in second half probably two biggest in the game.

MTU went to smaller lineup...Bittner made one three, Jared got his hands up.

Unbelievable to be 16-0...probably coach the rest of my life and never coach another team to 16-0. Kids didn't play great but played tough, played great defense. Great game to get us ready for conference.

All the games are big, I maybe think more about the Omaha game, it's not like Dave and I need to say anything to get them up for USD game.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

JACKS COULD BE #1!!!!!

Lewis beat Southern Indiana last night 82-77!

Keep winning...first USD, then Omaha. I'm going to be there in Frost next weekend.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Jacks WILL be #1, I'm headed back to Frost for next weekend's games too. I'm actually looking forward to standing in line for two hours before the arena opens!! Thanks filbert for the updates/info. We need to look out for UNO-no letdowns!

Comment

I know they're #1 in our hearts, but the @#$@#$ Division II poll doesn't come out until Tuesday, January 13th, after USD and UNO have had their shot at us.

Actually, that might be to SDSU's benefit, as they won't officially have that #1 tag to further motivate the Yotes or the Mavs.

I heard on the radio that the reserved seats were already sold out for USD...
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

HUGE WIN for the Jacks. If they hit freethrows it would not have been this close. Should make the long bus ride home pleasent. DeJong continues to play well. If and when we get Jones back should be really deep in the post. Jacks really executed down the stretch when it counted with DeJong,Schantz and Moeller all hitting big shots. Our percentage is something we need to improve on.

Comment

Reserved seating has been sold out for the past month for the usd game. The UNO game should also attract a huge crowd, with it being a conference game and this Jackrabbit team.

Comment

Great win by a great team!! I wasn't able to pick up either internet stream. However, I discovered that the radio in my '91 GMC Sierra truck can pick up WNAX over the airways (Rochester is about 300 miles from Yankton)!! How lucky am I? I filled my thermos with coffee and sat out in the old truck listening to the game.

My take on things:
                Tech didn't show up for the first 15 minutes (the rust filbert anticipated). Then, Tech took a bad shot at the end of the half and the Jacks capitolized as Q hit a huge 3 (potentially a 6-point turn around) as it could have been a 2-point game at the half. Excellent O and D by Jacks in first half.

Great start to 2nd half, 14 point lead with about 16 minutes to go. Then, things get ugly. Too many whistles and subsequently too many missed FT by the Jacks. For the next 10 minutes Tech exploits our only real weaknesses, spotty FT shooting and poor ball control (impatience). However, despite poor outside shooting the Jacks adjust and take the ball inside with DeJong (another huge game, great rebounding) and Schantz hitting big shots. Then, our go-to-guy, Andy buries a 15-footer to put the nail in the coffin.

An absolutely great/gutty win by a great/gutty team!! The scariest part is they can play a hell of a lot better on the offensive side of the ball. This game could have been a blow out if we hit a few 2nd half 3's and make more FT's.

My only concern on D is defending the 3-point line. That Northern game (regional championship) always sticks in my head. I think Nagy needs to encourage the boys to force penetration and then ask DeJong, Beren, or Jones (if he plays this year) to defend the goal. Good 3 point shooters have just as much chance outside the 3-point line as inside and I would much rather give up a higher percentage shot worth 2 then a big 3.

Finally, a game like this is what separates SDSU from other teams (and schools) in the NCC and our region this year. USD will never (and would never) win a game like this. They don't have the guts, the desire, or the true leadership required to take that next step (I can't question their talent). The same reasons are behind their failure/fear of moving foward to D1 and worse yet, the reasons why they will move backwards in DII!!

So, take it to USD and UNO next weekend and assume the #1 spot in the polls, extend the home win streak to 28, and put USD in its place as a 2nd class university in a state where all the citizens should be looking up to SDSU and its bold move to DI. Give those doubters at the Argus and in the state congress something to think and write about. I really do feel sorry for USD students and alumni. I am so proud to be a SDSU Jackrabbit for life. GO JACKS!!!
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Great game against a good team fundementally. No opponent had scored more than 21 FG and SDSU got 22 or 23. So that is kind of significant statistic.

Jackmd, I know that feeling of WNAX and their signals.

Before the internet and the fact that WNAX switchs the south direction of the signal at sundown, I was struggling to get a signal as far back as in 1986 when I first moved to Columbus from suburban Chicago, and the only solution was to drive 240 miles to Brookings and see the game live.

I have driven forty miles to Norfolk Ne from Columbus in order to get a better WNAX signal. Did that in 1992, when we were in the Elite 8 at Springfield Mass.

Its too bad you are not connecting with the internet. They should have enough room on the server. I thought they had fixed that problem.

Comment

Jackmd, you said a mouthful, and I might add well said!  The Michigan Tech game was a huge win.  The guys played gutty and it was a pleasure to listen too.  I think DeJong has come such along ways since the season started.  This was exactly what we needed before the NCC play started.  The win over the Huskies just reinforces my belief that this is the best SDSU team I have ever seen play!  Lets get after USD, UNO, and the rest of the NCC and leave D-II in style!  Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Here is what the Argus Leader has to say about yesterday's BIG win:

Jackrabbit men win battle of unbeatens

From staff reports

published: 1/4/2004

Andy Moeller's free-throw line jumper gave South Dakota State a four-point lead with 15 seconds remaining as the Jackrabbits held on to defeat Michigan Tech 64-60 in a battle of unbeaten teams Saturday in Houghton, Mich.

Moeller had team highs of 15 points and 10 rebounds.

SDSU, ranked No. 3 in NCAA Division II, is 16-0. Tech, ranked 11th, fell to 8-1.

Tech had rallied from double-digit deficits in each half and took the lead at 57-56 on two free throws by Bob Evans. But back-to-back baskets by Jared DeJong and a field goal by Derrick Schantz pushed the Jacks on top 62-57.

Evans then hit a 3-pointer, cutting it to 62-60.

Schantz and DeJong each had 12 points whille freshman Ben Beran had 10 points and nine rebounds.

A 3-pointer by Marquise Richardson at the buzzer gave the Jacks a 37-29 halftime lead after Tech had rallied from a 30-17 deficit to get within 32-29. SDSU opened a 43-29 lead following two free throws by Beran with 16:11 to play, then Tech's defense led the comeback that saw the Huskies tie the game at 49. SDSU had just four second-half field goals before DeJong scored at the 3:32 mark, putting the Jacks on top 58-57. The Jacks finished the second half 8-for-22, 36.4 percent.

But the Jacks still outshot the Huskies 46 percent to 31.1 percent, and SDSU had a 40-33 rebounding advantage.

Josh Buettner led Tech with 24 points while Evans had 10.

The Jacks were against shorthanded as neither Matt Jones nor Josh Cerveny made the trip to Michigan.

SDSU will open North Central Conference play at home next weekend, hosting the University of South Dakota on Friday and Nebraska-Omaha on Saturday.

South Dakota State (16-0)

Derrick Schantz 3-8 5-8 12, Joe Green 2-5 0-0 5, Jared DeJong 6-8 0-0 12, Andy Moeller 6-17 1-2 15, Marquise Richardson 2-5 2-2 7, Jake Wenig 0-3 0-1 0, Jared Gass 1-1 0-0 1, Calvin Melaney 0-0 1-2 1, Ben Beran 3-4 4-6 10. Totals 23-50 13-21.

Michigan Tech (8-1)

Jeff McHenry 1-3 1-2 4, Josh Buettner 8-21 7-9 24, Eddie Ross -0 0-0 0, Bob Evans 2-7 4-4 10, Jason Marcotte 2-13 0-0 6, Stephen Folson 0-1 0-0 0, Kelsey Fors 2-6 0-0 6, Radayl Richardson 1-7 2-4 4, Jason maes 3-3 0-0 6. Totals 19-61 14-19 60.

Halftime - SDSU 37, MTU 29. 3-pt FG - SDSU 5-17 (Moeller 2-8, Richrdson 1-1, Schantz 1-3, Green 1-3, Wenig 0-2), MTU 8-32 (Fors 2-6, Evans 2-7, Marcotte 2-10, McHenry 1-2, Buettner 1-5, Richardson 0-2). Rebounds - SDSU 40 (Moeller 10, Beran 9), MTU 33 (McHenry 7). Fouls - SDSU 17, MTU 19. Fouled out - None. Assists-SDSU 10 (Richardson 3), MTU 14 (Marcotte 4). Steals-SDSU 4 (Beran 2), MTU 9 (Marcotte 3). Blocked shots - SDSU 3, MTU 4 (Buettner 3). Turnovers - SDSU 14, MTU 8. A - 1,575.

Comment

Working...
                      X