Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits vs Coyotes The Corn Showdown continues

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    True but when we joined, we got this schedule in which we start and finish with NDSU. I suspect that new members are added to an existing schedule. My guess is that they dont start over to accommodate rivalry games.
    Sorry will disagree with you. Conference schedules are developed 6-9 months before the season, definitely not 10 years out.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Sorry will disagree with you. Conference schedules are developed 6-9 months before the season, definitely not 10 years out.
      Source? Other than???

Comment

In the NCC they did set them up in advance for several years, the former AD told me that, but with Summit it is a new ball game. I would think the presidents vote on the schedule at the annual meeting that they have like in Sioux Falls, but they probably have other meetings too.
        I would think the board minutes are somewhere on the SL official site. If fans had access, then we could answer this question. I just dont think its a bias against SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          In the NCC they did set them up in advance for several years, the former AD told me that, but with Summit it is a new ball game. I would think the presidents vote on the schedule at the annual meeting that they have like in Sioux Falls, but they probably have other meetings too.
          I would think the board minutes are somewhere on the SL official site. If fans had access, then we could answer this question. I just dont think its a bias against SDSU.
          The website has a login and not being authorized, we can not really get an answer.

http://thesummitleague.org/secure/index

So I guess we agree to disagree. Except the NCC is not the Summit and that we could possibly agree.

Comment

The Summit League schedule is created in May/June time frame. Most non conference schedules aren't completed until September.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
              The Summit League schedule is created in May/June time frame. Most non conference schedules aren't completed until September.
              Yep. Discussion of schedules (amongst other issues) will take place at Summit League Tournament in March, schedules created in May/June (as stated by yoteforever) and then released in July. I would assume Sell, Herbster and Larson will bring this issue to the table in March.

Comment

Yep. Discussion of schedules (amongst other issues) will take place at Summit League Tournament in March, schedules created in May/June (as stated by yoteforever) and then released in July. I would assume Sell, Herbster and Larson will bring this issue to the table in March.
                Okay I missed something here. YFE and UWM seem to be in agreement so I presume they are correct. And yes I would think that the AD's would make an issue out of it at the next meeting in March. I sent J. Sell an email with questions about when this schedule was drawn up. I will share his answer.

Comment

Has it occurred to people that the Summit League schedule isn't an accident? I mean I don't want to go all conspiracy theory here, but SDSU's home court advantage is among the best in the league (as is NDSU's come to think of it). Perhaps the other league schools have noticed this and are lobbying for a schedule which will tend to minimize those advantages.

If I were an AD for another Summit League school, I'd certainly be suggesting "changes" to the schedule which would have that effect.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Has it occurred to people that the Summit League schedule isn't an accident? I mean I don't want to go all conspiracy theory here, but SDSU's home court advantage is among the best in the league (as is NDSU's come to think of it). Perhaps the other league schools have noticed this and are lobbying for a schedule which will tend to minimize those advantages.

If I were an AD for another Summit League school, I'd certainly be suggesting "changes" to the schedule which would have that effect.
                    So those "other league schools" will now have to play when the rabbit den is full instead of playing over Christmas break when there is very few students or fans. Had anyone other than NDSU and USD played the last 2 games, we would have been lucky to hit 1500. Arent we trying to make the Summit League one of the best mid major conferences with RPI and attendance? Cant do that if we are going to deny the rival schools to play when they can draw their best crowds.

Comment

• Re: GDT: Jackrabbits vs Coyotes The Corn Showdown continues

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                      So those "other league schools" will now have to play when the rabbit den is full instead of playing over Christmas break when there is very few students or fans. Had anyone other than NDSU and USD played the last 2 games, we would have been lucky to hit 1500. Arent we trying to make the Summit League one of the best mid major conferences with RPI and attendance? Cant do that if we are going to deny the rival schools to play when they can draw their best crowds.
                      I don't have much of an opinion on the schedule...must be missing something in the arguments. If the NDSU and USD games were scheduled when the students were on campus, it seems highly likely the crowds would be bigger. But, what would happen to the games played during the Christmas/New Year's break against league opponents other than NDSU and USD? Mitchellrabbit suggests we would have been lucky to hit 1500. He might be right on that. But, doesn't it seem like the best overall ticket sales may occur when we bring in the local rivals when the students aren't in school? Would having NDSU and USD later in January when school is in session bring in sufficiently higher ticket sales to offset the presumed lower ticket sales for league games other than NDSU and USD? Keep in mind the students have "paid" for their tickets by student fees so the gate receipts are not impacted by how many students show up. (Don't stretch what I just wrote: I'm all for doing everything we can to have great student crowds).

I think the League has to move the games around each year so that over a period of years (using NDSU and USD as examples), NDSU and USD get later in the schedule until they return to the start of the conference season again.

Does anyone seriously think the Summit League head office is trying to lower attendance? Doesn't the head office (together with the school presidents and ADs the head office is accountable to) have a deeply vested interest in maximizing crowds?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        I don't have much of an opinion on the schedule...must be missing something in the arguments. If the NDSU and USD games were scheduled when the students were on campus, it seems highly likely the crowds would be bigger. But, what would happen to the games played during the Christmas/New Year's break against league opponents other than NDSU and USD? Mitchellrabbit suggests we would have been lucky to hit 1500. He might be right on that. But, doesn't it seem like the best overall ticket sales may occur when we bring in the local rivals when the students aren't in school? Would having NDSU and USD later in January when school is in session bring in sufficiently higher ticket sales to offset the presumed lower ticket sales for league games other than NDSU and USD? Keep in mind the students have "paid" for their tickets by student fees so the gate receipts are not impacted by how many students show up. (Don't stretch what I just wrote: I'm all for doing everything we can to have great student crowds).

I think the League has to move the games around each year so that over a period of years (using NDSU and USD as examples), NDSU and USD get later in the schedule until they return to the start of the conference season again.

Does anyone seriously think the Summit League head office is trying to lower attendance? Doesn't the head office (together with the school presidents and ADs the head office is accountable to) have a deeply vested interest in maximizing crowds?
                        Yes they do. Attendance gives Douple a talking point. So far no one has mentioned eliminating double hitters which are hard on hind quarters, but a fan bargin. USD and NDSU could make the argument about the impact on revnue for WBB. I can now see that mirror scheduling has an equalizing affect. As a fan, revenue is important to me. I suspect each member school files a report to the SL office the includes tickets sold and dollar amount which tell the SL office a number of things which is probably used in drawing up the next schedule.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 01-02-2017, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I get the impression that Midco is biased towards USD and UND......but I'm listening with biased ears. I didn't think either team looked particularly good but was impressed with how they competed. USD committed a lot of fouls and got called for most of them, there could have been even more called. Nice win for the Jacks, going to be another very competitive Summit league season for all teams involved. Tough to win on the road.....
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I mentioned during this discussion about scheduling that I had sent Justin Sell and email. Apparently he is working today as he took time to answer my email. Here is what I received back.
                            "Thanks for reaching out...scheduling is very complicated, mostly due to facility scheduling conflicts at more than half the schools. *We have had discussions on the rivalry game scheduling and I believe that these games over the holiday won't happen in the years to come. *Everyone understands the impact it has on attendance, students and fans. *Hope you have a Happy New Year!
                            "

MY COMMENT:Scheduling is more complicated that we might think.

Comment

What is the reserved seating capacity in Frost ? When I checked on reserved seats in the middle of last week, there were probably only 20-25 total available. I realize we count actual attendance, not tickets sold, but from the general admission seats it looked like a high % of the seats on the other side were occupied. There seemed to be a good number in general admission, so I was surprised there weren't at least 3000 there.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                What is the reserved seating capacity in Frost ? When I checked on reserved seats in the middle of last week, there were probably only 20-25 total available. I realize we count actual attendance, not tickets sold, but from the general admission seats it looked like a high % of the seats on the other side were occupied. There seemed to be a good number in general admission, so I was surprised there weren't at least 3000 there.
                                2518 official attendance. A bunch of no shows it appears.

Comment

Working...
                                X