Clear All

Re: SDSU vs MSU

Here is the Argus story on last night's embarrassment:

3-pointer power Minnesota State over SDSU
    From Staff & Wire Reports

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sa...article8.shtml

published: 1/17/2004

South Dakota State gives up 100 points for second straight game

Minnesota State tied a school record with 16 3-point baskets in rolling past South Dakota State 102-84 in men's North Central Conference action Fraiday night in Mankato, Minn. The Mavericks made 11 of 19 3-point attempts in the first half as they opened a 58-39 advantage at intermission. Minnesota State's first-half scoring output was the most against SDSU since Northern State scored 64 in beating the Jacks in 1994 in Aberdeen. Jamel Staten and Luke Anderson combined for 52 points for the Mavericks as each hit five 3-pointers. Staten had 28 including 22 in the first half. Anderson scored 24 with 14 in the second half. Staten also had nine rebounds and seven assists. Derrick Schantz led SDSU, which has dropped two straight, with 21 points and seven rebounds. Andy Moeller finished with 17 points and Joe Green 11. SDSU (17-2), which has allowed 100 or more points in two consecutive games for the first time since 1964, plays today at St. Cloud State.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

I too am tired of hearing how these guys are having the games of their lives.  I agree that we need to do a better job of defending the 3 point line (especially if they are killing us from there).

SDSUFAN, I was one of those guys last fall all over Coach Stig's post game comments, and I was a little troubled by Coach Nagy's comment that you mentioned.  However the difference was that the Jackrabbits are still very much alive in the NCC and NCAA race, Coach Nagy was not happy (no "the game sure was fun" or something to that effect after the Bison shut us out in Fargo like Stig said), and I think Coach Nagy was trying not to say something that he would regret later.  

I will also cut Coach Nagy some slack because he is a winner.  He has won NCC championships, he has taken us to the NCAA play-offs (with regularity), he has taken us to the Elite Eight.  Again I remind everyone that we are 17-2, true we have lost two in a row and looked really bad doing it, but we are still 17-2.  Lets see how the team looks tonight before we all panic.  We are still South Dakota State University, basketball is OUR game!

Go State!
      I remember Jim Thorson bringing his newly  hired assistant coach to a alumni gathering at Tompkins Center after the first football game in 1989 I believe. I was impressed with Scott Nagy then and I am still impressed with him.

Coach Nagy is entitled to a few bad games, and I can see why post game comments are sometimes not well thought out when you consider after the final horn they go to the dressing room and talk to the guys and then up to WNAX where ever they may be located for the post game show. Not a lot time to anticpate Steve Imming questions or the right thing to say especially when its a game like last night.

Coach Nagy's comments are by and large enlighting and he is the best we have had at SDSU, and that includes Jim Iverson who played at and got an advanced degree at Kansas State.

The sting from last night is starting wear off like a novicane shot so we will be okay tonight.

Comment

My two cents:  Jacks frontcourt did not show up.  Guards played well.  No heart, no pride, no desire!!!  Worst game I have seen SDSU play in 15 years.  Nagy deserves some blame as the team was not ready.  If this is the way we play than we will finish no better than .500 in the NCC.  The officials allowed physical play and our frontcourt got man-handled.

The boys/men had better step-up tonight and knock SCSU on their asses, show some pride in SDSU, and re-assert themselves as a force to be reckoned with in the NCC and the National picture.  If we lose tonight the sh*t better hit the fan.  It is really up to the "big" men.  Support those backcourt guys, show some muscle, and most of all, step out on some screens and prevent the 3-point shot!!!  
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
        X