X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie game on TV

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
     I  am sure Nagy is making his point. ;D
    Good for Scott, a coach needs to maintian control. I hope everyone gets their heads on straight before it is too late. Seems like our biggest weakness has been between the ears of some of our players.

Go SDSU!

Comment

Any score updates guys-no broadcasts tonight

Comment

I've heard the freshman are out for under-ages. Does anyone know how long they'll be out?

Comment

Originally posted by Charger13
          I've heard the freshman are out for under-ages.  Does anyone know how long they'll be out?
          One game.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
            Any score updates guys-no broadcasts tonight
            7:19 to go SDSU 68 - Augie 56

Comment

5:20 to go SDSU 74 - Augie 63

Comment

Any attendance info...?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                  Any attendance info...?
                  4000 + (TV and the Cold prob. held the numbers down a little).

4:17 to go SDSU 77 - Augie 67

Comment

79-69 3:26 to go.

Comment

SDSU 83 - Augie 73 :53 to go. Beran is having a great game!

Comment

Final Score:  SDSU 88 - Augie 78!  

Go State!

Coach was unhappy about the 1st half. 2nd half was better but frustrating. Cerveny is getting better but he is only in shape to go hard for 2 1/2 min. before he needs to come out. Coach said he was frustrated with the whole game. Still to many mental mistakes. We need to play better on the road and the next three games are going to be so important.

Top Scorers for the night:

Moeller - 18
                        Beran - 18
                        Cerveny - 17
                        Schantz - 16

Comment

Coach Nagy did not sound very upbeat and that scares me. With 5 of 7 final NCC games on the road, they got to show that they can win. It would be great if Matt Jones could show up somewhere in there but we will see if that is going to happen. You got to hope for the best I guess.

I am impressed with Cervany and I hope he can continue the conditioning and finally get in shape. It would be great to see him go out in awesome shape.
                          I am not holding my breathe though.

Comment

Defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, DEE-FENCE, etc... It does not matter how you spell it or say it only how you play it and we do not play it well enough. Augie should not score 78 points against the Sioux Valley JV team much less SDSU.

Nice win, nice inside and outside offensive balance, but for Jacks sake show some pride and guts and play defense!! If Augie scores more than 70 points next week I will be majorly disappointed. These guys need to show more heart and play harder on the defensive end as well as the boards. The only positives from this game are the win, Cerveny and Berans. Play harder Jacks!!!
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here is the Argus story from last nights game:

Cerveny's strong game sparks Jacks
                              Stu Whitney
                              Argus Leader

published: 2/1/2004

BROOKINGS - Josh Cerveny was ready to make up for lost time.

Making his first start for South Dakota State since 2001, the injury-prone senior center sparked the Jackrabbits to an 88-78 men's basketball victory over Augustana before 4,208 at Frost Arena on Saturday night.

"It felt great to be out there again," said Cerveny, a 6-foot-8, 285-pound force whose season-high 17 points helped eighth-ranked SDSU (20-3, 4-3 North Central Conference) earn its third straight win.

"At first, I was a little nervous, but I started making shots and playing as hard as I could."

Andy Moeller and freshman Ben Beran each had 18 points for the Jacks, which outrebounded Augustana 40-22 to hand the scrappy Vikings (5-15, 1-6) their fifth straight loss.

That dominance on the glass included an eye-popping 17 offensive boards, allowing SDSU to hold off a hard-working opponent that shot 59 percent in the second half.

"We really hit the boards in the second half, and that was the difference," said Jacks coach Scott Nagy, who saw the 6-7 Beran explode for 16 points and six offensive rebounds after halftime.

"The reason we shot so well (56 percent) in the second half is because we were grabbing offensive rebounds and putting them back in the basket."

Chris Harris scored a career-high 17 points to lead Augustana, which trailed by 14 points early in the second half but found enough offensive success to prevent SDSU from pulling away.

"I don't know that I've ever seen a team get outrebounded 40-22 and lose by just 10 points," said Augustana coach Tom Billeter, who got 15 points and five assists from senior guard Jon Wagner.

"These kids always work hard, but we're always undersized. We just gave up too many offensive boards."

The Vikings, who lost starting point guard James Borom to a first-half ankle sprain, pulled within 57-49 when Dave Medema converted a four-point play with 10:21 left in the game.

But Cerveny responded with two quick baskets off offensive rebounds, and the Jacks held off the hard-working Vikings the rest of the way.

It was a meaningful night for Cerveny, a former all-NCC center who last started for the Jacks on Dec. 1, 2001. Since then, the Indianola, Iowa, native has struggled with a variety of injuries and illnesses.

"When I suffered my last concussion a month ago, I started to wonder if I would ever catch a break," said Cerveny, who had six rebounds in Saturday's win and shot 7-for-8 on free throws.

"It was nice to get back in a position to play, but we've still got a lot of work to do as a team. We'll keep grinding, and it will come."

Said Nagy of Cerveny: "It was nice to see him get back in the action. He's our best post player, and he's a wide body, so he's hard to handle in there."

Saturday's victory allowed SDSU to stay within two games of first-place North Dakota State in the conference. It also assured the Jacks of a 20-win season for the eighth time in Nagy's nine years as head coach.

In addition to sophomore forward Matt Jones, who missed his 11th straight game due to illness, SDSU played without freshmen Joe Green and Jake Wenig. They were suspended for one game by Nagy for violating team rules.

The Jacks jumped out to a 17-7 lead on two free throws from former Roosevelt guard Luke Geiver with 12 minutes left in the first half. It was a sluggish first half that in which the teams combined for 25 turnovers.

But Augustana, which shot just 32 percent in the first half, managed to fight back with an 8-0 run that ended with four straight points from Harris, cutting the lead to 17-15.

Harris had eight first-half points off the bench for the Vikings, who stayed within 26-25 when Justin Van Meeteren scored off an offensive rebound with 3:10 left before halftime.

But Cerveny responded with four straight points, and SDSU finished the half with a 9-2 run to take a 35-27 lead into the locker room.

The Vikings entered Saturday's game with a four-game losing streak including losses last weekend to NDSU (70-63) and UND (79-69). Augustana hasn't won since knocking off South Dakota at the Elmen Center on Jan. 10.

SDSU will face Augustana again next Saturday at the Elmen Center in a 3 p.m. matchup.

Comment

Buster's boys have another good one.

http://jacksbasketball.com/

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X