Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Sky vs. Mid-Con. from a B-Ball viewpoint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Sky vs. Mid-Con. from a B-Ball viewpoint?

The Mid-Con had a big day yesterday.  Here are a few big wins that cought my eye last night on the ESPN ticker.

IUPUI beat Pepperdine (West Coast Conf.) 76-72
    UMKC beat Kansas State (Big XII) 93-52
    Oral Roberts beat Wichita St. (Missouri Valley) 76-73

I don't really care what Conference we end up in (MVC, Horizon, Mid-Con, BSC) as long as we get in one. So I keep an eye on all 4 just to be safe. The UMKC win really cought me off guard.

Comment

There has been some conf. talk on the board today.  So I thought I would throw this in for what it's worth.  While working to smack a Sac-State fan over on the Bison Board I came across this information, a break down of the Arenas in the Big Sky:

Weber State - Dee Events Center (12,000)  
      Montana - Adams Center (7,500)  
      Montana State - Brick Breeden Fieldhouse (7,250)  
      Northern Arizona - Walkup Skydome (7,000)  
      Eastern Washington - Reece Court (5,000)  
      Idaho State - Reed Gym (3,040)  
      Portland State - Scott Center (1,500)  
      Sacramento State - Hornet Gym (1,300)

Looks like we would have the second largest home if we joined the Big Sky.

Comment

We certainly are not joining the Big Sky for their Basketball potential. Sac State averaged less than a thousand for the six non-conference games they hosted. The Northern game had more people at it than all of Sac States 6 games combined. I'm realize we have to start somewhere and the Big Sky would be the best conference when considering what's best for all of our sports. Lets not forget though that Basketball is our marquee program and we have to find the best possible
        conference to keep the momentum going in our program.

Comment

Jackguy,

The Mid-Con arenas are not much better then these Big Sky arenas.

In either convference, SDSU will have a marquee venue for basketball. Also, SDSU might have a better chance at the Big Dance in the Big Sky. I would guess this year's team would match-up well against any Big Sky team. Weber State and Eastern Washington might be the only teams that might be better then SDSU, in my opinion.

Comment

I don't disagree with you. I guess you pick your poison and hope to enhance whatever league we join. If we had a choice I guess I would give the BigSky the nod over the Mid-Cont. I just feel the Jack Basketball program is at such a high level and the fans have expectations which are similiar to the NDSU Football program. It can't hurt to have some immediate success.

Comment

Just for fun I looked up the Mid-Con's Arenas.  They look like this:

Oral Roberts - Mabee Center (10,575)            
              UMKC -  Municipal Auditorium  (9,827)     
              Southern Utah - Centrum Arena (5,300)      
              Western Ill. -  Western Hall (5,139)      
              Valpo - Athletics-Rec. Center (5,100)      
              Oakland - Athletic Center O’rena (4,005)      
              Centenary - Gold Dome (3,000)      
              Chicago St. - Jacoby Diickens Center (2,500)       
              IUPUI - IUPUI Gym (1,500)

Frost is looking pretty good again!

Go State!

Comment

Just for reference (for any D-1 conference lurkers curious about SDSU), Frost Arena has a listed capacity of 9.000.  The maximum attendance figure is over 9,400 but since then, permanent seats were installed on the north courtside, reducing the capacity.  The north side is completely permanent backed seats, the remainder of the arena is currently bleachers.

We may find out how many people the arena **really** holds this Friday night, when arch-rival South Dakota visits SDSU.  All info points to this being a standing-room-only kind of sell-out.

How many Mid-Con or Big Sky conference games this year will draw over 8,000 fans?  Hmm?
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

SEE USD/UNO #1 at stake thread !!
                  No one in Big sky or Mid Con will out draw us in basketball, IMHO.... I guarantee important people are watching our attendence figures this year!!

Comment

Colorado College

This may be a longshot, but if Colorado College goes D-I for all sports in order to save its D-I hockey, there might be another indie looking for a conference. CC might make a nice package with SDSU, NDSU, Northern Colorado, and Utah Valley State. ..could also attract defectors such as Southern Utah (Mid-Con) and Denver (Sun Belt).

Could it be the start of an all-sports conference?

See USA Today story:
                    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...08-notes_x.htm

Comment

I know this is a D-III thing, but who knows, if it catches on our NCC brothers who LOVE hockey might be looking to us for help.

Comment

Originally posted by DanceswithRabbits
                        I know this is a D-III thing, but who knows, if it catches on our NCC brothers who LOVE hockey might be looking to us for help.  
                        From what I understand it only affects D3's and not D2's. Which could mean that schools such as colorado college could move up to d2 rather than d1... maybe as a member of the "new" d2/d1hockey NCC?

Comment

I just finished watching the Mid-Con game of the week on Fox Sports Net.  This week they were in Shreveport, LA at Centenary College.  The Gents were playing Western Ill.  I am watching a lot of Mid-Major basketball to see how we match up.

We match up well against most Mid-Majors and particularly the Mid-Con.  The Jackrabbits are ready to play (and beat) these guys today.  That being said, we are not as far away from the Big Dance as many people (even supporters of our move to D-I) might think.  I  think we could get a NIT bid next year.  

At half time and during the 2nd half the TV crew talked to both the President of Centenary and also Mid-Con Commissioner Ron Bertovich.  Although they didn't say anything as dramatic as what Oakland's President said last week about Mid-Con expansion, it was interesting none the less.

The part that really cought my attention was when Ron explained his goals for the Mid-Con when it comes to the Big Dance.  He explained that the Mid-Con had climbed from 28th place (as a Men's Basketball Conf.) to 20th and that he wants the Mid-Con to be a Multi-Bid Conf.  

From a basketball stand point the Mid-Con seems to make sense.  They are moving in the right direction.  The  Conf. footprint matches up with the part of the Country that we typically recruit.  Kids we are talking to will hear about us on the news and see us on TV.  However, from and institutional stand point the Big Sky makes more sense.  The schools of the Big Sky, for the most part, look like us.  I watch the Mid-Con school's commercials and know we are different.

Anyway that was my take on the Mid-Con after watching several of thier "game of the week" broadcasts.  Looking forward to finding a conf. home.

Go SDSU!

Comment

Working...
                          X