Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Staff thread

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    This looks like a really good crew. They're young but have a nice mix of experience. There's no time for them to settle in, unfortunately. They're going to have to get to work recruiting right away.

You gotta love a basketball coach with a son named Kobe ... Go Jacks!

Comment

GrimReaper69: check your private messages.

Comment

I decided to delete GrimReaper69's oddball post and a few responses. I'd like to see this thread stay close to the topic because I think any news about the new staff would be of value. I read the names and bios -- they look like good selections but what the heck do we know? Perhaps this thread will attract some comments from people having actual facts.

Comment

Anyone go to the meet and greet yesterday?

Thoughts?

Comment

I was able to go for a bit.

Was able to meet TJ. Seems like a real friendly guy. A bit of a change from Scott. And that's not meant as an offense to Scott, he was always just a bit standoffish to me. Which is fine, that's his personality.

TJ just seems like he'll be a bit more "friendly". If that means anything. I was not able to meet the assistants, (one wasn't there, wife was expecting) but that wasn't their fault... I had to go.

TJ did announce to the crowd that the jacks will play up and down at a high tempo, and shoot alot of 3's. Said they had their first day of workouts with the players.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
              Anyone go to the meet and greet yesterday?

Thoughts?
              It seems that there will be a blast of energy in the program with the youthful crew. The announcements did not seem to be anything different from earlier reports. The defensive strategy might include a bagful of things not normally seen in Frost.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                It seems that there will be a blast of energy in the program with the youthful crew. The announcements did not seem to be anything different from earlier reports. The defensive strategy might include a bagful of things not normally seen in Frost.
                "bagful of things" brings back some bad memories, like flying bunnies clunking cheerleaders on the head. I assume that is not a defensive strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  "bagful of things" brings back some bad memories, like flying bunnies clunking cheerleaders on the head. I assume that is not a defensive strategy.
                  It might include 1-2-2 or 2-3 or match-up or full court pressure depending on the opponent and the Jackrabbit talent. That would be a change to the man to man with an occasional 2-3. Although the man to man is generally a good defense, even Nagy found some use of the zone as an occasional advantage.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

Was able to meet TJ. Seems like a real friendly guy. A bit of a change from Scott. And that's not meant as an offense to Scott, he was always just a bit standoffish to me. Which is fine, that's his personality.

TJ just seems like he'll be a bit more "friendly". If that means anything. I was not able to meet the assistants, (one wasn't there, wife was expecting) but that wasn't their fault... I had to go.

TJ did announce to the crowd that the jacks will play up and down at a high tempo, and shoot alot of 3's. Said they had their first day of workouts with the players.
                    Let's just hope they remember to dump it down to Daum every now and then...😉
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

"I was really hoping that TJ would run the Princeton or the weave." - no one ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                        Let's just hope they remember to dump it down to Daum every now and then...��
                        I agree with this.

To each their own concerning a style of basketball. To me, the entertainment is the execution of a play and ultimately, the final score. There's a lot of grumbling on this board about the NDSU style of basketball. I'm not sure if that's because it's sort of boring, or because it seems to be so effective - especially against the Jacks.
                        The other extreme would seem to be the Iowa St. type offense of the last few years. 4 or 5 guys standing around the perimeter launching shots or a 1 on 3 "fast break" scenario that ends in a missed 3 point attempt with zero possibility of an offensive rebound. It's pretty darned exciting and fun to watch - when the shots are falling for an entire game.

For being in my early 40's, I guess I'm old school. I like watching an actual offense being run. I like boxing out and rebounds and defense. I'm excited to see what the new coaching staff puts on the floor. I'm sure it will be a little different from what we've seen the last 20 years. Either it will work, or it won't.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaRabbit View Post
                          I agree with this.

To each their own concerning a style of basketball. To me, the entertainment is the execution of a play and ultimately, the final score. There's a lot of grumbling on this board about the NDSU style of basketball. I'm not sure if that's because it's sort of boring, or because it seems to be so effective - especially against the Jacks.
                          The other extreme would seem to be the Iowa St. type offense of the last few years. 4 or 5 guys standing around the perimeter launching shots or a 1 on 3 "fast break" scenario that ends in a missed 3 point attempt with zero possibility of an offensive rebound. It's pretty darned exciting and fun to watch - when the shots are falling for an entire game.

For being in my early 40's, I guess I'm old school. I like watching an actual offense being run. I like boxing out and rebounds and defense. I'm excited to see what the new coaching staff puts on the floor. I'm sure it will be a little different from what we've seen the last 20 years. Either it will work, or it won't.
                          What drives me crazy about NDSU and similar is not the offense so much as the "foul them all over the court, the refs won't call them all" style of defense that is so depressingly effective in college basketball. I sure hope the new coaching staff does not adhere to that philosophy.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                            Let's just hope they remember to dump it down to Daum every now and then...
                            You have to know your audience. I doubt a new hire is going to say he's gonna slow it down,grind it out,and milk the shot clock

Comment

Originally posted by IowaRabbit View Post
                              I agree with this.

I just had a thought. Does being in my early 40's automatically make me "old school"? That can't be true. It was only 20 some years ago, I was a college kid.

Comment

Did you tell him a pick and pop with Daum might work well?
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X