Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Search firms can make contact with a coach's agent to gauge interest without having to go through official channels and ask a school's permission to talk with a coach. So they can find out if a coach is interested without anyone at his current school having any idea that he is shopping around.
    Right!! And with applicants all over the place we need to do this? We are not in the P5 the last time I looked. There are plenty of available applicants and no search firm is needed period.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Right!! And with applicants all over the place we need to do this? We are not in the P5 the last time I looked. There are plenty of available applicants and no search firm is needed period.
      I didn't say SDSU was using or should use a search firm. I just explained what they do.

Comment

I didn't say SDSU was using or should use a search firm. I just explained what they do.
        Okay thanks, but we are still small potatoes and nearly every coaching opening has a bunch of applications. Stig said nearly 400 for one of the openings he recently filled. I willing to bet there will be close to that for the HC in BB.

Comment

Has Nagy made a statement to SDSU or have any quotes about SDSU since he left?

I did see he has a comment on taking the Wright State job:

“My family and I are extremely excited for the next chapter in our lives,” said Nagy. “It was clear to me at every step of the interview process that Wright State University has everything in place to have a successful men's college basketball program. I'm so grateful for the opportunity that President Dr. David Hopkins and Athletic Director Bob Grant have given us.”

http://www.wsuraiders.com/ViewArticl...CLID=210860904

Just curious to see what he had to say after his tenure at SDSU.

Comment

We'll probably just have to wait to see if anyone will ask him about it at tomorrow's press conference at Wright State. I too am curious as to what he would say. 21 years as a head coach at one school is a very rare thing in today's athletics; especially for basketball.
            Rollin' in my 5.0
            With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
            Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
              Has Nagy made a statement to SDSU or have any quotes about SDSU since he left?

I did see he has a comment on taking the Wright State job:

“My family and I are extremely excited for the next chapter in our lives,” said Nagy. “It was clear to me at every step of the interview process that Wright State University has everything in place to have a successful men's college basketball program. I'm so grateful for the opportunity that President Dr. David Hopkins and Athletic Director Bob Grant have given us.”

http://www.wsuraiders.com/ViewArticl...CLID=210860904

Just curious to see what he had to say after his tenure at SDSU.
              The GoJacks does not have any statement by Nagy and if he talked to the players last evening, he might have done that by Skype as it appears he is still in Dayton. http://www.gojacks.com/news/2016/4/4...all-coach.aspx

Comment

The GoJacks does not have any statement by Nagy and if he talked to the players last evening, he might have done that by Skype as it appears he is still in Dayton. http://www.gojacks.com/news/2016/4/4...all-coach.aspx
                I saw him in Brookings today. And he met with the team last night.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

He was in Downtown Brookings this morning.

Comment

Nagy and the staff members going with him flew to Dayton today. He met with the players yesterday in person. It was difficult for all.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2010 View Post
                      Nagy and the staff members going with him flew to Dayton today. He met with the players yesterday in person. It was difficult for all.
                      Okay I am full of assumptions this evening. I am sure this was tough for all. I don't know if he really needs to say anything, but maybe a thank you for the opportunity.

Comment

Search firms can make contact with a coach's agent to gauge interest without having to go through official channels and ask a school's permission to talk with a coach. So they can find out if a coach is interested without anyone at his current school having any idea that he is shopping around.
                        Good point.

I'd also add that a lot of D1 coaches (and a fair amount in the lower levels) have an agent or agency that works for them as well. The coach himself doesn't even have to get involved in searching for a new job until deep into the process.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                          I thought that Nagy would had left with Wolters, so I say the Jacks were blessed. I am speaking in generalities, and hope that 'stepping stone' is 5-10 years as opposed to 2-5 years.

In general, I think being in the Summit will make it harder to keep someone for 15+ years than being in the NCC at DII was. I believe that is part of being in a lower mid-major conference. You see that same 'problem' in the MVC, CUSA, Big East (is that considered mid-major??), too.
                          True in that realistically, no college basketball hire is made with 20 or even 10 years in mind. You look at someone who can do the best for your program for the next 3-5 years. Anything else is gravy. 20+ years with Nagy was extremely special.
                          Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
                          Ha ha no. I wish I was making that much to coach basketball. I do know Ryan and know that he can help us continue our success and reach that next level though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

How about we hire Wright State's former coach😀
                            "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                              How about we hire Wright State's former coach��
                              We might later regret that choice

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
                                that doesn't concern me at all, he most likely would take a big paycut from the get go with what he has on the table.
                                Ryan has family and roots in area. Has an 14 and 11 year old daughter that he wants to see go to school and graduate in South Dakota. He Has a lot of pride about South Dakota and south dAkota hoops.
                                The UNLV bio only mentions one daughter. Now I'm questioning how accurate the other information you've presented is.

Comment

Working...
                                X