Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
    Ryan is still an A+ hire, Ryan's experiences speak for themselves. His family as a half century worth of South Dakota basketball domination from HS level, college, and professional. He is well connected on a global basketball scale. Recruited every major continent in the world. He could take nagys recent successes and build on it on a local, regional, national, and global scale. His family knows the who's who of basketball which opens doors for Sdsu not only as a basketball program but as a major college institution. By the way Espn ranked him the #4 recruiter in the nation outside of the power 6. Even with the power 6 known as one of the nations top recruiters. Has had tons of success developing bigs which would be a plus for daum. He has top conference experiences.
    Has Miller been heavily involved with in-game coaching situations, or does he concentrate more in the recruiting area ?

Comment

Ryan is still an A+ hire, Ryan's experiences speak for themselves. His family as a half century worth of South Dakota basketball domination from HS level, college, and professional. He is well connected on a global basketball scale. Recruited every major continent in the world. He could take nagys recent successes and build on it on a local, regional, national, and global scale. His family knows the who's who of basketball which opens doors for Sdsu not only as a basketball program but as a major college institution. By the way Espn ranked him the #4 recruiter in the nation outside of the power 6. Even with the power 6 known as one of the nations top recruiters. Has had tons of success developing bigs which would be a plus for daum. He has top conference experiences.
      Ryan...is this you? Joking...I think.
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Ha ha no. I wish I was making that much to coach basketball.
        Last edited by Jacksin; 04-11-2016, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Some general questions going around in my head, I figured I'd throw them out there, some of you have some pretty close ties to SDSU and can probably answer.

1. Does the job have to be "opened" advertised for so long, etc. - Anyone can apply, etc. thingy (the Madden guy who applied for one of the jobs in North Dakota)

2. What is the contract going to look like? I believe the BOR approved up to 3 year contracts. Are they going to go with a 3 year contract or less? And then what are you hearing the money will be for a new deal?

3. Is there going to be qualifications tied to the job? Head Coaching Experience, D-I experience, Masters Degree? Etc.

Comment

Ha ha no. I wish I was making that much to coach basketball. I do know Ryan and know that he can help us continue our success and reach that next level though.
            I think Ryan is an interesting candidate. His resume is about as solid as an assistant coach can have. He has the local ties, etc.

Thinking out loud.

Ryan has been an assistant at numerous places and under numerous styles, I'd like to know what his style would be as a Head Coach. Who could he bring in as assistants, etc. What are his areas for recruiting (kinda has been all over, but probably won't get that budget at SDSU)

The thing that kinda worries me about him, isn't using SDSU as a stepping stone, its more that every year he will probably have an offer for similar money if not a raise to go be an assistant somewhere. What Dane Fife did to IPFW.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              I think Ryan is an interesting candidate. His resume is about as solid as an assistant coach can have. He has the local ties, etc.

Thinking out loud.

Ryan has been an assistant at numerous places and under numerous styles, I'd like to know what his style would be as a Head Coach. Who could he bring in as assistants, etc. What are his areas for recruiting (kinda has been all over, but probably won't get that budget at SDSU)

The thing that kinda worries me about him, isn't using SDSU as a stepping stone, its more that every year he will probably have an offer for similar money if not a raise to go be an assistant somewhere. What Dane Fife did to IPFW.
              Many good candidates and I'm sure they will find the best fit. My darkhorse candidate is P.J. Hogan. He is the top assistant at UNI. He has recruited the same type of kid that SDSU would be recruiting. He knows the area well as he coached at SWMS in Marshall and at NDSU. Great guy and great coach. I think that the $200,000-250,000 range would get him. If they offer anything over $300,000 it would shock me.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                Many good candidates and I'm sure they will find the best fit. My darkhorse candidate is P.J. Hogan. He is the top assistant at UNI. He has recruited the same type of kid that SDSU would be recruiting. He knows the area well as he coached at SWMS in Marshall and at NDSU. Great guy and great coach. I think that the $200,000-250,000 range would get him. If they offer anything over $300,000 it would shock me.
                I like him, with UNI's resume hard to argue against this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                  I like him, with UNI's resume hard to argue against this guy.
                  As long as he didn't coach their last 14 seconds. (Too soon?)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    that doesn't concern me at all, he most likely would take a big paycut from the get go with what he has on the table.
                    Ryan has family and roots in area. Has an 14 and 11 year old daughter that he wants to see go to school and graduate in South Dakota. He Has a lot of pride about South Dakota and south dAkota hoops.

Comment

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

that doesn't concern me at all, he most likely would take a big paycut from the get go with what he has on the table.
                      Ryan has family and roots in area. Has an 14 and 11 year old daughter that he wants to see go to school and graduate in South Dakota. He Has a lot of pride about South Dakota and south dAkota hoops.
                      You know him, I don't so I value your opinion there.

Comment

Does anyone know of a selection committee being formed to screen the applications received in the mail and via email and fax? Seems like in the past, various people where chosen for this. Or is this a Fred Oien procedure that's been discarded?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          The fact that we kept Coach Nagy so long proves your second sentence false. I will agree, it won't be easy to find a good coach who wants to stay long term, but it is certainly possible.

If the expectation is that we will lose a good coach after a few years, then that is what will happen. I would hope that Mr. Sell at least asks questions about where candidates see themselves in 5, 10, and 20 years. In an apples to apples comparison, I would hope preference is given to a candidate that says "winning Summit League championships and tournament games" over "coaching at a Big 10 school."

For all we know, someone like Ryan Miller might want to stay until he retires.
                          The fact that Nagy did indeed move on to another job proves his second sentence true.

Look around the Summit League. NDSU is on their third BB coach. There's recent hires almost everywhere. Sutton from ORU and Hansen from Omaha are by far the only long tenured coaches.

It is what it is.... A stepping stone.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            The fact that we kept Coach Nagy so long proves your second sentence false. I will agree, it won't be easy to find a good coach who wants to stay long term, but it is certainly possible.

If the expectation is that we will lose a good coach after a few years, then that is what will happen. I would hope that Mr. Sell at least asks questions about where candidates see themselves in 5, 10, and 20 years. In an apples to apples comparison, I would hope preference is given to a candidate that says "winning Summit League championships and tournament games" over "coaching at a Big 10 school."

For all we know, someone like Ryan Miller might want to stay until he retires.
                            I thought that Nagy would had left with Wolters, so I say the Jacks were blessed. I am speaking in generalities, and hope that 'stepping stone' is 5-10 years as opposed to 2-5 years.

In general, I think being in the Summit will make it harder to keep someone for 15+ years than being in the NCC at DII was. I believe that is part of being in a lower mid-major conference. You see that same 'problem' in the MVC, CUSA, Big East (is that considered mid-major??), too.
                            Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                            -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              As long as he didn't coach their last 14 seconds. (Too soon?)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                              Ouch!!

Comment

SDSU is now going to get a real taste of what D1 athletics is really like. We've been so blessed to have a stable staff in the Big 3 sports for nearly 2 decades. That just doesn't happen.

The great thing is that the university, athletic program, and the MBB program are all going in the right direction. We are in a conference headed the right direction. There are tons of things that bode well for SDSU in getting solid applicants.

The reality is that we will see a similar path as NDSU and others of having a coach come in for a few years, hopefully have success, and move up.

Stuff is going to get real folks!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X