Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

One thing working in the Jacks favor in attracting top P5 assistant coaches is the lack of higher end mid-major vacancies. That has just changed a bit as Valpo's Bryce Drew reportedly has taken the Vanderbilt job.

Comment

I feel like Klink and Hanson are complete opposites of each other. I feel like Hanson as an in game coach would be great, I just question if he has the ability to lead a program, meet with donors, etc.

I feel like Klink would do that well, but I don't know if he can coach in game. I also question whether either of them would be able to put a decent staff around them.

Ryan Miller- has the name, 5 years ago would have been the A+ hire, today? IDK. He's been an assistant for awhile, has bounced around since leaving Alford's side.

D-II coaches?- They are D-II, when you hire from below you are taking a risk, sometimes D-II coaches, are D-II coaches. They've been recruiting D-II players, playing D-II schedules, and so on. - but if they have ties to SDSU, or have been assistants at the D-I level before then I'd be open to it.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        I feel like Klink and Hanson are complete clones of each other. I feel like Hanson as an in game coach would be great, I just question if he has the ability to lead a program, meet with donors, etc.

I feel like Klink would do that well, but I don't know if he can coach in game. I also question whether either of them would be able to put a decent staff around them.

Ryan Miller- has the name, 5 years ago would have been the A+ hire, today? IDK. He's been an assistant for awhile, has bounced around since leaving Alford's side.

D-II coaches?- They are D-II, when you hire from below you are taking a risk, sometimes D-II coaches, are D-II coaches. They've been recruiting D-II players, playing D-II schedules, and so on. - but if they have ties to SDSU, or have been assistants at the D-I level before then I'd be open to it.
        I think you mean exact opposites rather than clones.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
          I think you mean exact opposites rather than clones.
          Thanks I'll change it.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            My thoughts on the list so far (as if my thoughts matter).

Ryan Miller - Nice name, but does not have head coaching experience. Would he view SDSU as a stepping stone?
            I would say, the Jacks were lucky to keep Nagy as long as they did. Being in the Summit League, any good, young coach is going to use SDSU as a stepping stone.
            Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
            -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              Looking for the right head coaching opportunity. I think he's the perfect candidate short of a P5 assistant that has recruited the Midwest.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Ryan is still an A+ hire, Ryan's experiences speak for themselves. His family as a half century worth of South Dakota basketball domination from HS level, college, and professional. He is well connected on a global basketball scale. Recruited every major continent in the world. He could take nagys recent successes and build on it on a local, regional, national, and global scale. His family knows the who's who of basketball which opens doors for Sdsu not only as a basketball program but as a major college institution. By the way Espn ranked him the #4 recruiter in the nation outside of the power 6. Even with the power 6 known as one of the nations top recruiters. Has had tons of success developing bigs which would be a plus for daum. He has top conference experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
                  Ryan is still an A+ hire, Ryan's experiences speak for themselves. His family as a half century worth of South Dakota basketball domination from HS level, college, and professional. He is well connected on a global basketball scale. Recruited every major continent in the world. He could take nagys recent successes and build on it on a local, regional, national, and global scale. His family knows the who's who of basketball which opens doors for Sdsu not only as a basketball program but as a major college institution. By the way Espn ranked him the #4 recruiter in the nation outside of the power 6. Even with the power 6 known as one of the nations top recruiters. Has had tons of success developing bigs which would be a plus for daum. He has top conference experiences.
                  Like. Every hour I think about this, I like the idea of Miller in Brookings more and more.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                    Like. Every hour I think about this, I like the idea of Miller in Brookings more and more.
                    I would be willing to bet he could still do good in a 3 pt. shoot around. He shot the lights out when he played for Northern and beat us that one year. It was just yesterday in my mind. He has got the experience of more than one D1 program, and I rather have him over Billiter.

Comment

Did he interview with USD? I remember his name coming up, but also I don't remember him being a finalist. He is in an interesting spot, he's probably interviewing with head coaches right now, he hasn't been told if he is on the staff next year or not at UNLV.

Comment

Ryan has options currently with tcu and Jamie Dixon, Memphis, and cal, unlv is still very much in play but new coach is rumored to want his own staff, a lot of fans are lobbying for Ryan to stay. 2 of which would pay over 300k. But there is no doubt that this is the job he wants. He wants to be a head coach and back home.

I could see a Richmond vs Miller battle for years.

Comment

Ryan has options currently with tcu and Jamie Dixon, Memphis, and cal, unlv is still very much in play but new coach is rumored to want his own staff, a lot of fans are lobbying for Ryan to stay. 2 of which would pay over 300k. But there is no doubt that this is the job he wants. He wants to be a head coach and back home.

I could see a Richmond vs Miller battle for years.
                          This is the perfect time for him to take this job. He's not leaving UNLV hanging with the new coach, etc. The stars are aligned. Make it happen Sell. This would be a home run hire. He's my choice.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                            I would say, the Jacks were lucky to keep Nagy as long as they did. Being in the Summit League, any good, young coach is going to use SDSU as a stepping stone.
                            The fact that we kept Coach Nagy so long proves your second sentence false. I will agree, it won't be easy to find a good coach who wants to stay long term, but it is certainly possible.

If the expectation is that we will lose a good coach after a few years, then that is what will happen. I would hope that Mr. Sell at least asks questions about where candidates see themselves in 5, 10, and 20 years. In an apples to apples comparison, I would hope preference is given to a candidate that says "winning Summit League championships and tournament games" over "coaching at a Big 10 school."

For all we know, someone like Ryan Miller might want to stay until he retires.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

https://twitter.com/msumavericks/sta...71494338088960
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

The they told me I'm not a candidate so I'll withdraw my name from the circus press release

Comment

Working...
                                X