• Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
    I believe there was a hint of sarcasm to his post
    Too many bourbons last night

Comment

From where I'm sitting in Yankton, SD it looks like a pretty good hire to me.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I want to take a moment to personally congratulate the fans of SDSU on the hiring of TJ Otzelberger as your new men's basketball coach. The post by farmerclone saved me a great deal of time, as he is 100% spot on in his assessment of TJ. TJ and I have had a very close relationship the past several years due in part to me being a season ticket holder at not only USD, but Iowa State as well.

You are going to love this guy. He will work his tail off for you, and he will bring in very legit and SDSU type kids that you will enjoy watching. Some of you expressed concern about the number of transfers Iowa State brought in that we're problematic while in Ames for a number of reasons. But you need to know that TJ wasn't for that "transfer" approach that Hoiberg took. Basically Hoiberg didn't like recruiting, and the effort it took. TJ carried the load in that regard. He has such a way with kids that the level of trust is very high between himself and the kids he looks at, even if he ends up not recruiting them at the end of the day. He will NOT bring in problematic players that will cause embarrassment of any sort to your school just to win.

TJ's a great family man as you are about to witness. His wife was "all world" when she played at Iowa State, and they have a set of twins that TJ adores. His value system is exactly what you want and expect at SDSU. He won't compromise on that. You have Daum to build a team around, but you have lost some good players. Give TJ a little time to restock the shelves so to speak, but I'm telling you have a winner.

On the USD board I likened the hire and what's coming down the road to this...for those old enough to remember the good ol days of BO vs. WOODY, I think that's what's coming down the pipe in men's basketball for the state of South Dakota. Two rivals with great up and coming coaches duking it out not only for state pride, but Summit League titles. In 2-3 years, I'm predicting both schools being the class of the league. And the rest chasing them, just like the women's races have gone recently.

Once again, congrats on a great hire. Your AD did his job very well.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
          I want to take a moment to personally congratulate the fans of SDSU on the hiring of TJ Otzelberger as your new men's basketball coach. The post by farmerclone saved me a great deal of time, as he is 100% spot on in his assessment of TJ. TJ and I have had a very close relationship the past several years due in part to me being a season ticket holder at not only USD, but Iowa State as well.

You are going to love this guy. He will work his tail off for you, and he will bring in very legit and SDSU type kids that you will enjoy watching. Some of you expressed concern about the number of transfers Iowa State brought in that we're problematic while in Ames for a number of reasons. But you need to know that TJ wasn't for that "transfer" approach that Hoiberg took. Basically Hoiberg didn't like recruiting, and the effort it took. TJ carried the load in that regard. He has such a way with kids that the level of trust is very high between himself and the kids he looks at, even if he ends up not recruiting them at the end of the day. He will NOT bring in problematic players that will cause embarrassment of any sort to your school just to win.

TJ's a great family man as you are about to witness. His wife was "all world" when she played at Iowa State, and they have a set of twins that TJ adores. His value system is exactly what you want and expect at SDSU. He won't compromise on that. You have Daum to build a team around, but you have lost some good players. Give TJ a little time to restock the shelves so to speak, but I'm telling you have a winner.

On the USD board I likened the hire and what's coming down the road to this...for those old enough to remember the good ol days of BO vs. WOODY, I think that's what's coming down the pipe in men's basketball for the state of South Dakota. Two rivals with great up and coming coaches duking it out not only for state pride, but Summit League titles. In 2-3 years, I'm predicting both schools being the class of the league. And the rest chasing them, just like the women's races have gone recently.

Thank you for the insight. I'm feeling pretty good about this hire. And yes, with USD's new arena and Coach Smith, I think the Summit is going to be an even more competitive league in the coming years.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

And a USD fan makes my day. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I'll also give props to YFE for very clearly disclosing his relationship with TJ to the board. So many people came on the board that had agendas this past week and attempted to hide those agendas/biases/whatever. I'm also excited for this hire.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Reading thru the last few pages, I was going to make a post regarding TJ. Until I came across cyclonefarmer and yote's post, that were both very similar to what I was going to say. I'm an SDSU fan first and an ISU fan second, this is a very good hire right now. Of course, only time will tell if it remains a good hire or not, but I think we definitely made the correct choice.

Comment

For those of us that can't make it to Brookings this afternoon, the announcement will be streamed live at GoJacks.com.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post

It sounds as though we could have a new season ticket holder in Frost.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      As da Coach notes earlier in this thread, Cyclone fans are sorry to lose Coach Otz. They talk very highly of his recruiting ability. Some posters, of course, question why he'd want to leave ISU for SDSU. Some see him as a future ISU head coach. It's an interesting 15-page thread.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/show...217146&page=15
                      After reading that, 2 things come to mind:

1-I have gone from neutral feelings to feeling pretty good about this hire. ISU fans certainly seem to have a high opinion of TJ.

2-I did not realize that ISU basketball was a national power that would never lose an assistant to such a lowly program as SDSU.

BTW, a Coyote fan threw water on #2 by informing ISU fans that the last time the two teams played SDSU actually won the game. Coyote fans, although slow, and dangerous behind the wheel, can serve a purpose. (intended as a fun joke, not meant as smack in any way. Thanks Coyote fan!).
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        It sounds as though we could have a new season ticket holder in Frost.
                        No, I think the coach's wife will get in free.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm wondering if his assistants will be announced at the same time or at least 1-2 of them. I'm hoping Klink is one of them

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            After reading that, 2 things come to mind:

1-I have gone from neutral feelings to feeling pretty good about this hire. ISU fans certainly seem to have a high opinion of TJ.

2-I did not realize that ISU basketball was a national power that would never lose an assistant to such a lowly program as SDSU.

BTW, a Coyote fan threw water on #2 by informing ISU fans that the last time the two teams played SDSU actually won the game. Coyote fans, although slow, and dangerous behind the wheel, can serve a purpose. (intended as a fun joke, not meant as smack in any way. Thanks Coyote fan!).
                            To be fair to ISU fans it was only one or two posters who had issue with SDSU, the Summit and anything but the P5. Oddly enough one was a UNI/ISU fan.

Comment

@coachotz on Twitter if anybody cares - obviously easy to figure out but I thought I would mention anyways. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2010 View Post
                                @coachotz on Twitter if anybody cares - obviously easy to figure out but I thought I would mention anyways. Go Jacks!
                                He should have his job description updated later today.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X