Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by Bigsiouxjack View Post
    It is interesting how he didn't get the UW-Milwaukee job, that is his old stomping ground, you'd think if recruiting was his strength that would be a hot bed for him.
    He didn't get UWM job because another qualified applicant who is African-American got the job. Having just fired Rob Jeter (who is African American) with whispers of racism lingering from a poorly handled firing the ADs hand was almost forced into this hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
      He didn't get UWM job because another qualified applicant who is African-American got the job. Having just fired Rob Jeter (who is African American) with whispers of racism lingering from a poorly handled firing the ADs hand was almost forced into this hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by CasualJacksFan View Post
        Holy cow.
        I haven't dug as deep as Jacksin has but if even HALF of this stuff he's posted about this TJ guy is true there's no way in hell he should even be considered.
        I don't care about the W/L record that much. Asst coaches are at the mercy of the head coach when it comes to that. But the kind of players this guy recruited and their criminal record. THAT is what scares me most.
        So is this just a name that someone threw out there or is he really in the mix? If he is, this is the kind of hire that can end careers.
        What kind of athletes are you going to recruit to Ames Iowa with the hope of competing against Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Baylor? You take transfers. You take guys who want to transfer from Michigan State, Marquette ...

It it is silly to think that Iowa State can go head to head with Kansas and win its fair share of recruiting battles.

How many of the "issues" cited by Jacksin happened in the last 5 years? FYI - None

To continually cite a programs W/L record as a detriment against an assistant is silly. Unless of course you a going to credit him with the last 4 or 5 years performance. Assistants can only get the recruits. It is up the the coach to take the recruits and be successful. The majority of Greg McDermotts years there were trying to run a UNI style system against the Kansas' of the world with guys who almost became immediately successful under Hoiberg running a style more conducive to the talent Otzelberger acquired.

The he life blood of any program especially one like SDSU is recruiting. Otzelberger is second to none in that regard. He can't nor won't get ISU kind of talent to Brookings but he has wonderful connections, he will attract outstanding talent in a league that will not be able to match and he will surround himself with outstanding coaches.

Comment

Absolutely

Comment

Nothing has happened in the last 5 years? Lol when did Thomas get his dui?
            second to non recruiter.....in 10 years at iowa state and Washington has he recruited a player that has made it to the nba?

Looks like just a year ago 5 arrests in 1 year. With these great recruits
            http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...in-jackson-owi

there is no way klink shouldn't get it over this guy. Imo
            Last edited by Jacksin; 04-11-2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

We seem to have attracted some new posters who have their favorites.

Comment

Wow, wbcsas, you and TJ must be tight, every job that the guy has ever applied for (Iowa State, Washington, UW Milwaukee, Nebraska, SDSU, UND etc....) you are a member of their message boards. It sounds like you are either TJ's agent or even closer.....keep the insights coming

• 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM
                  wcbsas

Prospect

Re: BREAKING: Otzelberger accepts position at Washington

The loss is significant. He was the lead recruiter for many of ISU's recruits and transfers.

TJs impact meshed perfectly with Hoiberg's philosophy and he (TJ) was able to bring in players that fit well with how FH wanted to run the team ... more athletic, more NBA-ish philosophy vs. the previous regime.

Any program having to replace their lead recruiter is going to take a hit. Not that FH is a bad recruiter but he like every other high major coach is the closer ... he takes the interested recruits and finishes the deal off ... without TJ you never get Matt Thomas or Korie Lucious or George Niang anywhere near the finish line.

The real hit is going to be next season's recruiting class because the staff will have to re-establish relationships and that is going to take some time and effort.

As for TJ, don't forget he has several years working for the Pump Brothers in California. He's got deep roots in that region and will be effectie for Washington.

• 05-16-2013, 07:22 AM
                  wcbsas

Prospect

Re: BREAKING: Otzelberger accepts position at Washington

Originally Posted by cyclo120
                  I know it's probably my biased thinking too highly of Iowa State, but it just feels like there is more to this then just leaving for a so called new opportunity to advance his career. I won't speculate beyond that, but I will say as much as I hate to lose TJ and appreciate all the things he has done, I think Mann has developed into our most valuable assistant coach. I don't expect Fred to hire a name many of us will know, but yet a high quality assistant that he is comfortable with that brings something specific to the equation, similar to the Matt A hire.

Lets see Mann bring in the recruits that TJ has brought in. Kind of doubt he's anywhere as good as Otzelberger!

wcbsas #12 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2016 11:38:04 AM(UTC)

safetys wrote:UWM is a tough place to coach D-1 basketball. They are #4 in line for players in the state. People probably forget that Bo Ryan was only 30-27 in his 2 years there although he definitely put UWM on the right track.
                I don't see any coach EVER being able to stay at UWM very long. Jeter had about as long a run a could be expected.
                UWM is simply not a very good coaching gig. A launching spot for a guy moving up. A spot for an assistant to get
                started who will then move on to a better gig. Just is not a long term coaching gig.

They are going to get guys like Jeter. I would have kept him myself as I don't think they are going to get anyone
                any better that is willing to STAY. I think Jeter saw this as his spot. I don't think UWM will find a better fit. Did he underperform?? Certainly did, but all coaches do. I thought Jeter did well considering the athlete/student they are going to get at UWM for men's basketball. They just are not going to get the best athletes or the best students.
                Just the way it is and to expect different is delusional.

Yes, I do think the AD Braun is delusional.

Lots of comments:

#1 - UWM should NOT be #4 in line for players in this state. UWGB does not offer anything much differently than UWM. The Horizon is a guard/wing oriented league ... UWM is much closer to fertile recruiting grounds.

#2 - Many schools successfully develop a coaching tree that anticipates good coaches leaving for other jobs. Look at North Dakota State ... four former coaches are coaching elsewhere, most in power 5 schools.

#3 - Jeter is a record barely better than 0.500 ... he has 4 20 win seasons and 4 losing seasons. 2 NCAA tournaments. At a school larger than most in its conference. Additionally the APR performance is also on Jeter as well.

#4 - Someone like TJ Otzelberger is/will be a great fit. He might end up at Iowa State or elsewhere down the road but the glory days of UWM was with Bruce Pearl. They need to recreate the same kind of culture and excitement.

Last edited by Bigsiouxjack; 04-11-2016, 09:44 PM. Reason: examples

Comment

Wow, wbcsas, you and TJ must be tight, every job that the guy has ever applied for (Iowa State, Washington, UW Milwaukee, Nebraska, SDSU, UND etc....) you are a member of their message boards. It sounds like you are either TJ's agent or even closer.....keep the insights coming
                  This board just keeps on getting better!
                  #busted

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
                    here is my concern with tj. This is sells first major hire. Like I've said in other post other than 3 seasons he has been at the bottom of the conference 7 out of 10 seasons. Then read in the links below what types of players they recruited to become successful in the other 3 seasons. All transfers with issues, which led to a ncaa high 5 arrests last year. Scary deal especially

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...oaching-rumors

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...in-jackson-owi
                    TJ Otzelberger is responsible for global warming too.

Comment

So to be clear all this mental masturbation has led to.....

Carry on..........
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                        TJ Otzelberger is responsible for global warming too.
                        so do you not think there is a correlation between character misconduct of players and recruiting? I could understand 1-2 arrests maybe but 5......that shows how important character is when your out recruiting. I want to win as bad as anyone but I also want kids that are good kids for brookings sd.

like I said I'm glad I'm not making the hire and for all we know sell might not even think of tj as a candidate.

just looking into a so-called top candidate thought it would be fun to debate. Tj could be one heck of a guy or coach however Just think some things are alarming or risky for the great steady job we have. Maybe I'm reading too much into stuff who knows.
                        Last edited by Jacksin; 04-11-2016, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          So to be clear all this mental masturbation has led to.....

Carry on..........
                          If only we had the power of the schwarts.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Daily Ryan Miller twitter update: Now following Jackrabbits WBB and Coach A.J.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                              Daily Ryan Miller twitter update: Now following Jackrabbits WBB and Coach A.J.
                              Haha. I feel it's safe to say Ryan really wants the job.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                                So he didn't get the job because he's white... give me a break. It is interesting that his hometown passed on him

Comment

Working...
                                X