Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

From twitter of Goodman at ESPN: "Tennessee's Chris Ogden will join Chris Beard’s staff at UNLV as associate head coach, source told ESPN."

Both Ryan Miller and Stacey Augmon were Associate Head Coaches at UNLV this past year.

Comment

Here's a link to the bio on Creighton Assistant Coach Darian Devries.
      http://www.gocreighton.com/coaches.aspx?rc=169&path=mbb

Here's been at Creighton 18 straight years, three years as a graduate manager and 15 years as Assistant Coach. He's the only assistant that carried over when Greg McDermott became the head coach.

Some smart money on this guy....

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Here's a link to the bio on Creighton Assistant Coach Darian Devries.
        http://www.gocreighton.com/coaches.aspx?rc=169&path=mbb

Here's been at Creighton 18 straight years, three years as a graduate manager and 15 years as Assistant Coach. He's the only assistant that carried over when Greg McDermott became the head coach.

Some smart money on this guy....
        I see a lot of good things here....
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          From twitter of Goodman at ESPN: "Tennessee's Chris Ogden will join Chris Beard’s staff at UNLV as associate head coach, source told ESPN."

Both Ryan Miller and Stacey Augmon were Associate Head Coaches at UNLV this past year.
          I'm firmly in the "Klink corner", but if Miller is in the market, than Stacey Augmon must be as well...maybe he'll apply.

He probably knows basketball some.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I'd suspect the top three would be the Creighton guy, the Iowa State guy, and Miller.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
              I'd suspect the top three would be the Creighton guy, the Iowa State guy, and Miller.
              I hope you're right. I'd be happy with any of the 3.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                I hope you're right. I'd be happy with any of the 3.
                This x 2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  I agree with those who say that would be a really good final 3. I'm in the Miller camp, but the other two guys also look like great candidates. Dare I say that any of 3 potentially would be an upgrade?
                  This space for lease.

Comment

For all of you clamoring "upgrade" you must have short memories. We just went to the NCAA tourney 3 of the last 5 years and won an NIT game in that same stretch. It is going to be 2 or 3 years before we find out if this coaching change is beneficial to our school and program.

Maybe it will be an upgrade in some areas. Such as if the new coach uses a timeout at the end of a game and it pans out in an important win. But I can almost assure you there will be things the new coach doesn't do as well as Nagy did. This perspective changes on who you talk to.

But to sit here and claim "upgrade" by doing a little internet and social media research on 3 guys who have never been a head coach. Come on.....

I just hope we can continue to win a game or two of the Summit League tourney the next couple of years with the new coach, whomever it is.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      For all of you clamoring "upgrade" you must have short memories. We just went to the NCAA tourney 3 of the last 5 years and won an NIT game in that same stretch. It is going to be 2 or 3 years before we find out if this coaching change is beneficial to our school and program.

Maybe it will be an upgrade in some areas. Such as if the new coach uses a timeout at the end of a game and it pans out in an important win. But I can almost assure you there will be things the new coach doesn't do as well as Nagy did. This perspective changes on who you talk to.

But to sit here and claim "upgrade" by doing a little internet and social media research on 3 guys who have never been a head coach. Come on.....

I just hope we can continue to win a game or two of the Summit League tourney the next couple of years with the new coach, whomever it is.
                      I think most people are saying that it could be a potential upgrade. Just because we have had recent success, doesn't mean we had the best coach and can't upgrade. There are many other factors that go into the MBB recent success. To name a few: Nate Wolters (2 of the 3 tournament appearances), strong home crowds (nearly undefeated at home), and a little bit of luck (the 1st and 2nd round SLT games this year). As I have said before, nothing against Nagy, but a strong P5 assistant will most likely be an upgrade over a mid major coach like Nagy.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        I think most people are saying that it could be a potential upgrade. Just because we have had recent success, doesn't mean we had the best coach and can't upgrade. There are many other factors that go into the MBB recent success. To name a few: Nate Wolters (2 of the 3 tournament appearances), strong home crowds (nearly undefeated at home), and a little bit of luck (the 1st and 2nd round SLT games this year). As I have said before, nothing against Nagy, but a strong P5 assistant will most likely be an upgrade over a mid major coach like Nagy.
                        This upgrade is optimistic. As I ponder that statement, I ask why would an upgrade not have been a priority choice for Wright St? The upgrade was the salary Nagy found in the move. Nagy is a known quantity which the home crowd may not appreciate as much as he may deserve. Dave Richman followed Phillips from the existing staff and he could be an upgrade for the Bison if they are patient and he remains in Fargo. Richman brought some of that institutional memory into the position that a new face may not have understood or noticed. That is one thing that Klinkenfus could keep nurtured should he remain on staff or possibly lead the staff. Meanwhile the upgrade notion the most recent 3 names bring could be a reality, but it may take some patience to realize it was an upgrade. The guy who just left averaged nearly 20 game win seasons for 21 years. He was one of the active coaches honored on day 1 of the Final Four as they started with the coaches who won 300 or more games. Optimism of the next coach is great, but I do not believe that Nagy needs to back up and apologize for not being the best coach that SDSU could have for the past 21 years. I am hoping for a coach that is at least as successful as the last one.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I really appreciate the links people are providing here and the chance to digest all this info on the candidates.
                          After reading through the stuff on the Creighton guy I agree that there are strong candidates here but I'm still inclined to lean Miller because of his SD ties. Based on what I've read he's probably a better recruiter too, but if all else is equal I think the SD connection is really important.
                          I also saw the thing about Kyrie Irving. Hard to imagine any other coach we're talking about here has NBA stars on his speed dial like Miller does. That has to help with recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            I'm in this camp. Just because a coach stays some place a long time doesn't mean there aren't better options out there. I'm an SDSU alum, booster and fan. Coach Nagy is no longer a Jackrabbit. He chose to leave. I'm more and more convinced it's likely the best thing for both parties. I'm excited to welcome and support the new head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              I'm in this camp. Just because a coach stays some place a long time doesn't mean there aren't better options out there. I'm an SDSU alum, booster and fan. Coach Nagy is no longer a Jackrabbit. He chose to leave. I'm more and more convinced it's likely the best thing for both parties. I'm excited to welcome and support the new head coach.
                              I don't think I could agree more.

Nagy got this program trending in the right direction. We now have a chance to bring in a new coach that can help us take the next step and build on the foundation we have. I'm excited for the future of Jacks basketball.

Comment

Why do you think Miller is always available? He sounds like a snake in the grass to me!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X