Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    Can he coach defense because Iowa State sure doesn't play any. That is a concern of mine moving forward. I hope we get a coach committed to playing defense like we played under Nagy.
    THIS
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
      I would add Jayden Olson to the list

Also think Iowa State Assistant Coach TJ Otzelberger has got to be higher on the list. Probably not a better more proven recruiter in the area.
      Olson wouldn't be a good choice in my opinion. I added him and Devries to the list.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

What about Jayden Olson?

Also TJ Otzelberger from ISU should be high on any list.
        No on Jayden Olson. Not enough coaching experience. He's got to log more time as a true assistant coach and not an operations guy. In my opinion.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          No on Jayden Olson. Not enough coaching experience. He's got to log more time as a true assistant coach and not an operations guy. In my opinion.
          Agreed. I was wondering if I was missing something when I was reading up on him....
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

How many former assistants of Nagy's (or before), have become Head Coaches, or Power-5 assistant coaches?

Next- since the A.D. has ties to UNI, other than the one name thrown out would there be any other UNI connections for a coach?

From what I've read, heard, and thought in my head, I think common sense would put the money on Miller, Oltzberger (sp), DeVries, Klinkenfous, getting the serious first looks, but as Zimmer was thinking, I would not be shocked if its someone that we haven't heard of, and if its not someone we have heard of, you would think there would be some type of tie to SDSU or the A.D. for them to consider SDSU.

Comment

Also TJ Otzelberger from ISU should be high on any list.
              From what I've heard, Otzelberger is in the hunt (maybe the favorite) for the UW-Milwaukee job. He originally is from the Milwaukee area.

Comment

If Sell has a favorite I would not be surprised if he isn't already negotiating with them as if you have interest so do others and you snooze your lose! Miller is my favorite as think he would bring a recruiting footprint that we have never seen and create a lot of excitement. I never saw Nagy as real outgoing with boosters and donors etc and I see that as an area of improvement a new coach should bring.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  If Sell has a favorite I would not be surprised if he isn't already negotiating with them as if you have interest so do others and you snooze your lose! Miller is my favorite as think he would bring a recruiting footprint that we have never seen and create a lot of excitement. I never saw Nagy as real outgoing with boosters and donors etc and I see that as an area of improvement a new coach should bring.
                  Nagy was as good with boosters as anyone. Quite a sense of humor too. There was a lot more personality below the rough and tough demeanor he portrayed on the sideline.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    Nagy was as good with boosters as anyone. Quite a sense of humor too. There was a lot more personality below the rough and tough demeanor he portrayed on the sideline.
                    Quick Nagy story: Years ago when we first started the coaches shows, all of the people involved were volunteers. We did the series of shows and after the last one was finished taping, Coach Nagy went around the room and personally thanked everyone involved for their work. That really impressed me. Not all coaches would do that.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Quick Nagy story: Years ago when we first started the coaches shows, all of the people involved were volunteers. We did the series of shows and after the last one was finished taping, Coach Nagy went around the room and personally thanked everyone involved for their work. That really impressed me. Not all coaches would do that.

Not meaning this the wrong way, and I understand totally why he is moving. But this is the kind of story that makes me think this was a money, family security, thinking-about-retirement move for the Nagys, and that if SDSU paid its coaches even remotely competitively he might have kept tending the roots in Brookings. Am I missing something? And does this move begin a series of short-term coaches if the pay salary scale remains the same?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                        His sense of humor runs exceedingly dry, but it's definitely there. The dryness of his humor is what many people who think he doesn't have a sense of humor miss about the man.

He was good for SDSU. SDSU was good for him. We all go forward from here.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Not meaning this the wrong way, and I understand totally why he is moving. But this is the kind of story that makes me think this was a money, family security, thinking-about-retirement move for the Nagys, and that if SDSU paid its coaches even remotely competitively he might have kept tending the roots in Brookings. Am I missing something? And does this move begin a series of short-term coaches if the pay salary scale remains the same?
                          I see a coach who had been in position for 21 years, with another 20 years to go that's 41 years in one place without ever seeing whether you were cut out for something bigger or better. I'm sure pay made a difference but the itch had to have been awful strong after such a long stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                            I see a coach who had been in position for 21 years, with another 20 years to go that's 41 years in one place without ever seeing whether you were cut out for something bigger or better. I'm sure pay made a difference but the itch had to have been awful strong after such a long stretch.
                            That and the fact he is nearly 50 and was looking at 7 players departing made this pretty much the perfect time for him to move on. At some point other schools stop asking, and once he gets the wrong side of 50, he becomes less and less attractive as a rebuild candidate for a program. Obviously, $2.5 million is pretty dang tough to pass up as well, as that is the type of income that can set him and his family up for life.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              From what I've heard, Otzelberger is in the hunt (maybe the favorite) for the UW-Milwaukee job. He originally is from the Milwaukee area.
                              The Hoop Dirt site just posted on the UW-Milwaukee board that they have selected a coach. Will be interesting to see if it is Otzelberger.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                The Hoop Dirt site just posted on the UW-Milwaukee board that they have selected a coach. Will be interesting to see if it is Otzelberger.
                                Milwaukee has hired Michigan assistant coach LaVall Jordan, per Jeff Goodman, ESPN.

Comment

Working...
                                X