Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

I would be fine with him, but I am not sure Miller should be the clear cut favorite. Devries from Creighton and Otzelberger from Iowa St both have similar if not better resumes. The ability to recruit SD is of little significance. It's MN, IA, NE and Chicago where recruits are coming from.

I'm not a fan of the D2 guys, and Klinkenfuss could use a few more years of experience with someone other than Nagy.

With that being said, I will back whomever is hired. I have faith Sell understands D1 athletics more than anyone is South Dakota. A lot of factors to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2002jack; 04-05-2016, 09:34 PM.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

I'm on the Miller train. I believe he will be able to recruit more than just SD well. Yes, he is from here originally, but he's known as one of the nation's best recruiters, period. The name recognition (and possibly support) from Mike Miller certainly doesn't hurt. Hiring Miller seems to have the perfect combination of name recognition and local ties.

Comment

I want Kevin McHale. He's doing T-Wolves games now and I feel he'd be a great coach.

OK, kidding, kinda, I do think he'd be great, but I don't think he'd even answer the phone

I feel Miller, DeVries, Otzelberger, Klink, would all be great options. AT the end of the day, its like recruiting, you can say a bunch now, but you can't really judge the hire for 2-3 years

Comment

I think a major consideration will be how excited check writers get with the new coach. Frost Arena renovations have to be on the short term to do list.

It needs to be a name that gets casual fans talking and buying tickets. Miller would do that more than any other name I've seen mentioned, IMO.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            I think a major consideration will be how excited check writers get with the new coach. Frost Arena renovations have to be on the short term to do list.

It needs to be a name that gets casual fans talking and buying tickets. Miller would do that more than any other name I've seen mentioned, IMO.
            Winning gets people buying tickets. If Miller is the guy that the athletic department thinks has the best chance of winning, fine. But you don't hire the coach for the name or to draw in casual fans. You hire a coach that will win.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Have a colleague and friend that played with Ryan Miller in high school before playing at USF. I trust his opinion about basketball and coaching and he thinks Ryan would be a great choice. So, that's the direction I'm leaning. Any of the high DI assistants that have been mentioned seem like a good choice as well.

I'm sure there are names our there that none of us are aware of that would be very good choices.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Have a colleague and friend that played with Ryan Miller in high school before playing at USF. I trust his opinion about basketball and coaching and he thinks Ryan would be a great choice. So, that's the direction I'm leaning. Any of the high DI assistants that have been mentioned seem like a good choice as well.

I'm sure there are names our there that none of us are aware of that would be very good choices.
                Agree with Doc here.

I think Miller would be good. I think the Assistant at Iowa State would be good. That assistant at Creighton looks good too.

I don't think there's a bad choice there. Coach Nagy has built a pretty solid program, and honestly I feel confident they will hire a good person.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  Winning gets people buying tickets. If Miller is the guy that the athletic department thinks has the best chance of winning, fine. But you don't hire the coach for the name or to draw in casual fans. You hire a coach that will win.
                  If winning sells tickets, we should be selling out Frost Arena on a regular basis by now. Frost arena is a disaster that is acts against hiring, recruiting, selling tickets, and growing our fan/donor base. We can hire a coach tomorrow - fixing frost and getting some kind of practice facility online are the most challenging issues facing the men's basketball program. While hiring a winner is important, a recognizable name could help with fundraising immediately.

Just my opinion, others can reasonably disagree.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    Agree with Doc here.

I think Miller would be good. I think the Assistant at Iowa State would be good. That assistant at Creighton looks good too.

I don't think there's a bad choice there. Coach Nagy has built a pretty solid program, and honestly I feel confident they will hire a good person.
                    I too see alot of names being thrown around that all could do well. We're in a good position to get a coach like Miller, TJ, Devries, or someone else who's name possibly hasn't even come out yet.

TJ is linked to the UWM job as a strong candidate that is "picking up steam." He's also from Milwaukee. per http://www.twitter.com/pantheru

Comment

I would add Jayden Olson to the list

Also think Iowa State Assistant Coach TJ Otzelberger has got to be higher on the list. Probably not a better more proven recruiter in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        If winning sells tickets, we should be selling out Frost Arena on a regular basis by now. Frost arena is a disaster that is acts against hiring, recruiting, selling tickets, and growing our fan/donor base. We can hire a coach tomorrow - fixing frost and getting some kind of practice facility online are the most challenging issues facing the men's basketball program. While hiring a winner is important, a recognizable name could help with fundraising immediately.

Just my opinion, others can reasonably disagree.
                        You do make a good point here. We've done a lot of winning over the past 5 years and it's hard to say that the fan base has grown by leaps and bounds. How many games have we lost at Frost during that time? A couple? If winning were the only key, those ugly bleachers on the ends of the arena would not spend half the season folded up against the wall.

Speaking of those classic D2 wooden bleachers.... can we get rid of them yet?

Comment

I asked Zim his thoughts on the frontrunner. His reply:

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...56693791121411
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

What about Jayden Olson?

Also TJ Otzelberger from ISU should be high on any list.

Comment

I really hope Coach Klinkefus is given an opportunity. He is the guy that has been recruiting all of the top kids we have gotten the last several years. He would be a stabilizing force for all the kids that we currently have and are recruiting. Finally, he loves it here, wants to remain here, and would be someone we could hire without breaking the bank.

It makes perfect sense to me to give him a two-year attempt to keep things going and being a stabilizing force. We can always go another rout down the road.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                                What about Jayden Olson?

Also TJ Otzelberger from ISU should be high on any list
                                Can he coach defense because Iowa State sure doesn't play any. That is a concern of mine moving forward. I hope we get a coach committed to playing defense like we played under Nagy.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X