X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
    How about we hire Wright State's former coach
    Some have suggested that, not everyone agreed with replacing a 22 win coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Unless state law has changed, the job has to be advertised for a certain period of time. Fred Oien told me that some time back and that was why they used selection committees to whittle down the applications to a workable list of 5 or 6 candidates. I have not seen anything about forming a committee so maybe procedures have changed and the AD has more discretion in hiring.
      A few years old, but gives some insight into how most DI programs go about finding coaches. The process you describe does not sound like the norm anymore, although I have to believe there are still interviews and selection committees to get alumni buy in.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...lege-athletics
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Take it for what it's worth...

https://twitter.com/NickESPN991/stat...98285107859456
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          Possible, but coming from this kid I'd be skeptical. The inaccurate information pushed by the local ESPN affiliate in Sioux Falls makes me appreciate Zimmer, and before him Terry's professionalism.

That said, just in case he is on to something here is the bio

http://www.gocreighton.com/mobile/staff.aspx?staff=53

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
            Could be according to the Roosevelt AD, the Brookings AD, the Sioux Falls Christian AD, the Freeman AD... I mean SDSU could be looking at Devries, which is basically the same thing as they are looking at Devries... and if they aren't, it is completely plausible that they would look at Devries

Is this how journalism is taught now? I've noticed this a lot in cable news lately, find any random source and tweet it, then start reporting on the reports (because you can't find a legit source), it soon becomes fact until the concerned parties explicitly deny it. Even then the story lingers. Such a joke.

Nick: get some factual information from a real source. Real sources are not going to give you anything if you run to Twitter with every rumor you hear.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Good to be wary of anything from Goeman. He has proved just one thing in the past few days: he's nothing more than a petty gossip. He's willing to spread rumors that are false and then shrugs it off.

Once in a while one can catch the original Bewitched TV series on reruns. There was a character, Gladys Cravitz, who made appearances on the show. She was the neighborhood snoop and gossip. Reminds me of what we've learned about Goeman from his own tweets.

Goeman or Cravitz? You decide.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                Could be according to the Roosevelt AD, the Brookings AD, the Sioux Falls Christian AD, the Freeman AD... I mean SDSU could be looking at Devries, which is basically the same thing as they are looking at Devries... and if they aren't, it is completely plausible that they would look at Devries

Is this how journalism is taught now? I've noticed this a lot in cable news lately, find any random source and tweet it, then start reporting on the reports (because you can't find a legit source), it soon becomes fact until the concerned parties explicitly deny it. Even then the story lingers. Such a joke.

Nick: get some factual information from a real source. Real sources are not going to give you anything if you run to Twitter with every rumor you hear.
                Case in point... a few years ago, I was covering the Hanson Classic in Mitchell when the CBS Twitter feed came out with the report that Joe Paterno had died. Well, it didn't show up on any other major news sources, but I assumed there was a lag. I announced it over the air to my listeners. An hour later came the retraction. I had never been more embarrassed in my life. I committed a cardinal sin... when you see something newsworthy, ALWAYS check with at least two independent sources. I didn't, and I ended up with proverbial egg on my face. Lesson learned.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  Not disagreeing with the sentiment expressed but we must keep in mind that no, this is not how journalism is taught. But Goeman isn't a journalist and neither are many in the electronic media. The types noted in SF Rabbit Fan's post are, if we want to be charitable, media personalities. Refine that for many: they are entertainers. There are true, serious journalists working in the electronic-media world but Goeman isn't one and he doesn't pretend to be one.

Disclosure: I have a B.S. in Journalism from SDSU.

Comment

I certainly agree that anything coming from this person should be taken with a large grain of salt. That being said, basically any names we hear during this phase of the process are going to be based on someone's speculation. Nobody applying for the job is going to contact media sources to let them know they may be in the hunt, and Justin Sell sure as heck is not going to make info available to anyone other than a handful of people directly involved in the search. Hopefully we will start hearing names from some more nationally known basketball people. We all kind of dumped on the Hoop Dirt site when they broke the Nagy story, but they ended up being correct. Speculation from a source like that has a much better chance of being credible than something from a local's twitter account.

Comment

DeVries would seem to be a very logical candidate. He played at UNI and our administration has ties to the Creighton Administration. He's been at Creighton a long time now.

Comment

He makes sense, I'd say he is probably on the list, whatever the list is.

Comment

I've added it to the list I have in my pocket. I put Devries right below "1/2 gal milk" and right above "paper towels" and "bananas".

Comment

Update on Goeman: his bio on his radio station's site says "I am currently a senior and going to graduate with Journalism and Mass Communication degree".

And guess where from? SDSU!

Well, one can have a degree history but not be a historian.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Okay thanks, but we are still small potatoes and nearly every coaching opening has a bunch of applications. Stig said nearly 400 for one of the openings he recently filled. I willing to bet there will be close to that for the HC in BB.
                              Couldn't one argue that your prospective applicant pool will be "deeper" for a FB asst. coach opening than it would be for any HC opening (due to fewer having the requisite head coaching experience/expertise)?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                                Couldn't one argue that your prospective applicant pool will be "deeper" for a FB asst. coach opening than it would be for any HC opening (due to fewer having the requisite head coaching experience/expertise)?
                                My guess is it will be something like this

110 applicants

About 30 of them have absolutely no chance (random people who applied, the Madden guy, peoples hoping that Deadspin picks up their application, etc.

About another 50 will be thrown out because of lack of experience, etc. HIgh School Coaches, JuCo's who just want to get their name out there.

So you will have a list of 25-30 on what you would call serious candidates, Power 5 assistants, regional HC's, etc.

On that list about half with either withdraw or be removed for some reason

They will interview between 8-12 initially, probably between 3-5 will get a campus tour/interview by then the names will be out and we will either be rallying behind 1 choice, or be calling for someones head, in which a year or 2 we won't really remember what we said when this happened because on the court will speak for itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X