Deondre's Family in Flint, MI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deondre's Family in Flint, MI

Deondre talks about his Family that live in Flint, MI. Truly heartbreaking. Two of his brothers have tested positive for lead poisoning.
    http://listen.sdpb.org/post/dakotaca...tball#stream/0

Deondre talks very highly of Coach Nagy and how he has helped him through this trying time.
    Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 02-09-2016, 07:31 PM.

Re: Deondre's Family in Flint, MI

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Deondre talks about his Family that live in Flint, MI. Truly heartbreaking. Two of his brothers have tested positive for lead poisoning.
    http://listen.sdpb.org/post/dakotaca...tball#stream/0
    Saw a feature on ESPN regarding the whole Flint situation over lunch today. Sounds like lead poisoning is not something that goes away over time. It is a terrible tragedy and many, many youth are and will suffer as a result. Hard to believe that there are people in our nation that don't have access to clean drinking water. People in charge need to be severely punished.
    USD Fan

Comment

a friend said at one time you couldnt drink the water in mexico and you made cars in flint. now you cant drink the water in flint and mexico makes the cars.

Comment

If you're reading this thread but didn't listen to the podcast linked in the first post, go back and listen. Thanks for posting that link, UMWandSDSU.

I've tried to follow the events in Flint but it really takes on a new meaning when someone you have a connection with, even though its only a fan connection, has such a personal story. Wish there was something that could be done to get Deondre's family out of Flint.

Contrast the comments made by Deondre about Coach Nagy's support with some of the other stories going on involving coaches. We're so fortunate to have a student like Deondre and a mentor coach like Coach Nagy.

Comment

Nice interview. It's amazing what Deondre has overcome and very unfortunate what his family is going through. JackJD is right; We're lucky Parks found his way to SDSU and fortunate to have a coach that honestly cares about his players the way Nagy does.

Comment

It would have been nice to attend the 2014 Endowment banquet since Deondre was the recipient of the scholarship I set up in my name many years back. For years it went to football players but the first BB player was named and I was out of the country. I have no regrets about who receives it and Deondre is by far one of the most qualified to receive it. He has worked very hard to get where he is and to have the water problem on his mind makes his contribution so great.

Comment

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but since DeAndre alluded to it in the interview, DeAndre is currently acting as the legal guardian of his 14 year old brother who is currently enrolled as an 8th grader at Brookings Middle School. I understand this occurred well before the water issue became publicly known.

Comment

Wow. Very touching interview. The family-related challenges facing Deondre really put everyday life in perspective. Deondre a thoughtful young man. (The interviewer probably should have asked him what he's studying and what he wants to do in the future. I'm curious about that. Other than that, great interview.) I'll cheer louder for Deondre at the next game that I attend.
                This space for lease.

Comment

I wonder if there is a way to set up a fundraiser or water raiser or something to have SDSU show support for Deondre and Flint. #sdway

Comment

It's amazing that Deondre has been able to play at all, much less play at the level he has with all the stuff he has on his mind. He briefly mentioned that his uncle recently passed away, and I remember Coach Nagy mentioning on the post-game radio interview after the Fort Wayne game that Deondre had been to a family member's funeral that day and they were not sure if he would make it back for the game. Nagy usually gets emotional on Senior Day, and I would guess he might be a little more emotional than usual when he talks about Deondre.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu2000 View Post
                      I wonder if there is a way to set up a fundraiser or water raiser or something to have SDSU show support for Deondre and Flint. #sdway
                      Probably an NCAA violation.
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu2000 View Post
                        Sounds like a violation to me, specifically when you say to "help Deondre". Please do not give any money or gifts to student athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

There was an excellent feature on Deondre and some of the things he has had to go through on last night's Jackrabbit Insider. Worth going back to watch the replay if you missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            There was an excellent feature on Deondre and some of the things he has had to go through on last night's Jackrabbit Insider. Worth going back to watch the replay if you missed it.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k28r...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Working...
                            X