Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mike Daum - The Dauminator

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    @kenpomeroy Two freshmen lead their conference's all-kPOY team: Ben Simmons and South Dakota St.'s Mike Daum, aka the Ben Simmons of the Summit League

Yes, that Ken Pomeroy.
    Nothing like tempering expectations! Mike's been great the first time around the conference. Certainly the biggest surprise. Team's will adjust now that they've seen him. He was on fire Sat. Fun to watch.
    Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

He's got some serious potential there is no doubt. I hate to put too much on a RS Freshmen's shoulders. Sometimes they take another step forward as a Soph and sometimes they regress. We've seen some of both in recent years at SDSU. I just know he has been a huge factor for the team and provided a spark at times when one was really needed. Others have done that too. Nice to see the team getting healthy for the stretch run.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldCountryJack View Post
        Nothing like tempering expectations! Mike's been great the first time around the conference. Certainly the biggest surprise. Team's will adjust now that they've seen him. He was on fire Sat. Fun to watch.
        It was interesting that as soon as he entered Saturday's game USD double teamed him whenever he got the ball in the post. Pretty telling who the USD coaching staff thought was our biggest threat, and even more amazing that the RsFr rose to the challenge.

Daum has a really high ceiling and physical tools rarely seen in our league, but I also remember last year when several posters claimed that Telly was better as a true freshman than Chad White was as a senior.

One thing I know, I am very glad to have Daum and Telly on the team.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I did notice the doubles and I'm not a fan of doubles in the post especially with a good passer. Reed had a great freshmen season because of all the open looks we got from that tactic. Sometimes I wonder if that's been some of Reed's issue's this year. Lack of wide open looks. One thing I love about Daum is his fearlessness. He sets a pick amd teams seem to go under and he pops well on that 3. Seems like his shot selection has become more reliable as well. In the post he's got a nice handle for a big kid.

Comment

One thing I love about Daum is his fearlessness. He sets a pick amd teams seem to go under and he pops well on that 3.
            A family member who is a college coach saw SDSU for the first time this year against MTSU at the Pentagon and he immediately commented about how #24 had zero hesitation looking for a perimeter shot. Even though Daum wasn't just jacking 3's it was interesting to hear a coach notice a scorer before he even sees the player take a shot.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

I did notice the doubles and I'm not a fan of doubles in the post especially with a good passer. Reed had a great freshmen season because of all the open looks we got from that tactic. Sometimes I wonder if that's been some of Reed's issue's this year. Lack of wide open looks. One thing I love about Daum is his fearlessness. He sets a pick amd teams seem to go under and he pops well on that 3. Seems like his shot selection has become more reliable as well. In the post he's got a nice handle for a big kid.
              What surprises me is that Telly hasn't looked to drive to the hole much. He has the speed and athletic ability to make it work. If defenders have to respect his ability to drive then they won't be so close on the 3. That has to come from within him. Look at what a difference Bittle made with his ability to drive the last two games. We become a much better team when Telly is engaged. Hope to see it down the stretch.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                What surprises me is that Telly hasn't looked to drive to the hole much. He has the speed and athletic ability to make it work. If defenders have to respect his ability to drive then they won't be so close on the 3. That has to come from within him. Look at what a difference Bittle made with his ability to drive the last two games. We become a much better team when Telly is engaged. Hope to see it down the stretch.

SUPERBUNNY
                I completely agree with this. When I saw Telly play for the first time this year when they played Chadron State, he was noticeably stronger and faster, and he was being aggressive and driving to the hoop. I was very excited, because when you combine that with his ability to hit the 3, it would be lethal. Since then, he has looked so timid and afraid to do much of anything. It's a good thing he improved immensely on defense compared to last year and is pulling down a lot of rebounds, otherwise it wouldn't even be worth having him on the court much at this point.

Comment

So I was reading through the SDSU chat on the Argus Website and there was some talk that people wanted to see Daum in the starting lineup and have Telly come off the bench. I personally like the lineup how it is. Daum is a great 6th man and can provide offense right away. And it is nice to have Daum coming off the bench since Thiesen seems to get into foul trouble a lot in the 1st half of games. Also Daum is usually in the game by the 17:00 minute mark regardless of Thiesens foul troubles so there isn't a huge difference between starting and not starting.

Telly is in a shooting slump but that isn't stopping him from play good D and rebounding. He also likes to take chances on getting charges. He will get out of his shooting slump this season. Same thing happened with Parks last year and look how he did at the end of season. With Bittle back, Telly should get some more open looks especially if teams are going to start double teaming Daum in the post. Those are just my thoughts.

The current starting lineup is 9-1 with the lone loss coming at UMKC and with wins at Illinois State and TCU.

Curious to read everyone take on this.
                  Last edited by SanDakotaState; 01-26-2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                    So I was reading through the SDSU chat on the Argus Website and there was some talk that people wanted to see Daum in the starting lineup and have Telly come off the bench. I personally like the lineup how it is. Daum is a great 6th man and can provide offense right away. And it is nice to have Daum coming off the bench since Thiesen seems to get into foul trouble a lot in the 1st half of games. Also Daum is usually in the game by the 17:00 minute mark so there isn't a huge difference between starting and not starting.

Telly is in a shooting slump but that isn't stopping him from play good D and rebounding. He also likes to take chances on getting charges. He will get out of his shooting slump this season. Same thing happened with Parks last year and look how he did at the end of season. With Bittle back, Telly should get some more open looks especially if teams are going to start double teaming Daum in the post. Those are just my thoughts.

The current starting lineup is 9-1 with the lone loss coming at UMKC and with wins at Illinois State and TCU.

Curios to read everyone take on this.
                    Agree with everything you said here.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I don't care who starts but I'm not sure Reed's performance the last month warrants 30+ min/game. If Theisen can find his way to avoid foul trouble, I'd like to see a little more of a big lineup. Both bigs are very good shooters and rebounders. Reed's effort is there for sure but I'm not ready to compare his value to Parks. I wouldn't mind seeing more of a Theisen, Telly, Daum rotation at the 4 and 5. There's 80 min/game there, I would have no problem with those 3 getting 20+/game of course depending on availability.

Comment

Looking at how Daum has progressed throughout the season is pretty impressive. He is averaging 16.3 ppg and 7.25 rpg in his reserve role. His scoring is efficient as well with a shooting percentage over 50. It looks like his confidence in the 3 ball is rising too. If he can continue to knock down that shot, he will be unguardable.
                        "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Thought it would be interesting to see how Daum's stats compared to Jordan Dykstra's freshman stats. They are very similar in playing time - Mike gets 19.3 mpg, Jordan had 20.7. Mike averages 13.5 points and 5.9 boards per game compared to Jordan's 11.3 and 4.5. Dykstra had the better shooting % (56.1 to 52.9) and also the better 3 point % (51.5 to 42.5). Very similiar and very good stats. I think Daum plays a stretch 4 type position next year like Dykstra did. It's amazing that Jordan shot the 3 that well right away. At this point, you have to give him an edge from 3 point land, but I think Mike's inside game is stronger. Makes one really look forward to what the next three years can bring.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Thought it would be interesting to see how Daum's stats compared to Jordan Dykstra's freshman stats. They are very similar in playing time - Mike gets 19.3 mpg, Jordan had 20.7. Mike averages 13.5 points and 5.9 boards per game compared to Jordan's 11.3 and 4.5. Dykstra had the better shooting % (56.1 to 52.9) and also the better 3 point % (51.5 to 42.5). Very similiar and very good stats. I think Daum plays a stretch 4 type position next year like Dykstra did. It's amazing that Jordan shot the 3 that well right away. At this point, you have to give him an edge from 3 point land, but I think Mike's inside game is stronger. Makes one really look forward to what the next three years can bring.
                            Daum is struggling defensively as a freshman, but he'll likely end his career (in my opinion) as a better rebounder and defender than Dykstra just from his size.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                              Daum is struggling defensively as a freshman, but he'll likely end his career (in my opinion) as a better rebounder and defender than Dykstra just from his size.
                              I think he is a better defender then ian is. Mike moves his feet much better and can extend out further on D imho. Ian doesn't move his feet or get his body into position well so that's why he gets the stupid fouls or rebounds and such.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Ian's a much better post defender than Mike. Mike might move his feet better on out on the floor but honestly, he doesn't do much on the D end.

Comment

Working...
                                X