Mike Daum - The Dauminator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mike Daum - The Dauminator

I'm sure they wouldn't play both Gentry and King at the same time for long. If no guard is coming in then the 3's will have to take over that spot, guess that depends on who has the best handles. Any ideas? Dykman is sort of the wild card.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      I think it would be logical, given our returning youth at the guard spot, that we would be rather aggressively recruiting for a Juco/Grad guard. This seems completely unsurprising to me.
      Hopefully going dancing again will make that a bit easier.

Comment

I have not seen it mentioned yet, but I found it interesting that on a team with five senior guards our freshman 6'10" post was the one shooting the technical foul shots late in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
          I have not seen it mentioned yet, but I found it interesting that on a team with five senior guards our freshman 6'10" post was the one shooting the technical foul shots late in the game.
          As I recall, Nagy was pretty emphatic that he wanted Daum shooting those technical FT's.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
            Great point. Kid is cool as a cucumber.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              As I recall, Nagy was pretty emphatic that he wanted Daum shooting those technical FT's.
              I thought it was great how much confidence he had in Daum as well. Although I'm pretty sure he wanted Parks to shoot them, but he was set to check in, and he had to wait to check in until after the free throws. Still, impressive that Nagy sees Daum as our 2nd best option.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                I thought it was great how much confidence he had in Daum as well. Although I'm pretty sure he wanted Parks to shoot them, but he was set to check in, and he had to wait to check in until after the free throws. Still, impressive that Nagy sees Daum as our 2nd best option.
                Daum leads the team at 82 percent....Deondre is second at 80.6.

Comment

I thought it was interesting that Nate scored 303 points his freshman season. Daum currently sits at 502. Pretty special season for a freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                    I thought it was interesting that Nate scored 303 points his freshman season. Daum currently sits at 502. Pretty special season for a freshman.
                    How many minutes did Daum have this year? Looking at Nate's freshman year stats it looks like he had 715 or so...
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

• Re: Mike Daum - The Dauminator

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      How many minutes did Daum have this year? Looking at Nate's freshman year stats it looks like he had 715 or so...
                      Daum Ave. 20.5 (total: 677).
                      Nate Ave. 24.9 (total: 729).

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                        Yes it is. Very special.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Thanks. He's been really unbelievable
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            Very impressive, but to temper the Nate Wolters comparisons, what made Nate great wasn't how well he played as a freshman, but rather the improvement he made from his freshman to sophomore year.

Daum might not have to make as big of jump to equal Wolters in terms of production, but it's still a big jump.

The question really becomes: "How high is Daum's ceiling and can he reach that ceiling?" I'm hoping the answers are "really high" and "most definitely".
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

What will be interesting will be to see how Nagy uses Daum's skills the rest of this year and upcoming years.

Seems to me that Daum's skill set would allow (if not almost require) more of a two-post offense than the four-guard offense that's basically what SDSU has run during the D-I years. Daum seems to have nearly unlimited range and so can draw defenders out into the perimeter, and a two-post alignment would tend to negate any attempt to double-team him with the defender's post and a guard. We'd need to add a dependable fourth front-line guy to the rotation to Daum, Theisen and Devine to make that feasible though. Maybe Doyle?

Daum is pretty obviously the centerpiece of what SDSU has returning next year. The success of the team in 2016-17 and onward will hinge on how the team is built around him, I think.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Maybe recruit Loudon Vollbrecht will be up to the challenge of playing some post as a freshman.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X