Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Exhibition GDT: Dakota Wesleyan

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    Tevin is 100% gonna play this year. Gentry will also. Dykman and Brown would be the redshirts if I had to guess.
    I agree with King - I think Gentry could still go either way. Nagy shortens the bench as the season goes on and Gentry may not get much run unless someone gets injured. And you could still burn the redshirt if that happens. The other thing that stood out in terms of minutes last night was Connor Devine only playing 3. They didn't mention him when talking about injuries, so not sure what is going on there.

Comment

Is there a time we find out about redshirts before the regular season?
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        I agree with King - I think Gentry could still go either way. Nagy shortens the bench as the season goes on and Gentry may not get much run unless someone gets injured. And you could still burn the redshirt if that happens. The other thing that stood out in terms of minutes last night was Connor Devine only playing 3. They didn't mention him when talking about injuries, so not sure what is going on there.
        I think they should redshirt Gentry unless they think he needs some PT this year to develop into the man next year. He can play this year but I don't know how much playing time he will get with the other guards we have.

Devine had a couple of things going against him last night.
        He picked up 2 could in 3 minutes. It might of had something to do with the size and speed of DWU but you can't foul that much and last long.
        The second thing that factored in is Daum. It looks like they are going to play Ian(19 minutes), Daum(14 minutes) and then maybe Devine at the 5 spot. They did put in Dykman and Doyle in at the end but they probably won't factor in a lot. Doyle might get some time at the C spot, too. Nagy has been playing Reed and Lane at the PF spot. Unless you go big, there aren't a ton of minutes for 4 people to play the C spot.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
          I have not been able to watch or listen to either game, but judging by Coach Nagy's comments and by minutes played each game, I'm getting the impression that Tevin King is going to play this year. For those who have watched both games, what are your thoughts on King and do you get the impression that he's going to play? With Skyler out for 4-6 weeks, his presence could be handy for depth and to have a little more experience going into next season with our 4 best guards all graduating.
          It looks like King may get the most minutes this year as for the freshman. He is so physical and can play different positions. He doesn't backdown from anything and is more than willing to mix it up inside on rebounds. Gentry is a true pass first point guard and is fast! You better be paying attention when you are playing with him unless you want the ball bouncing off your head! He is fun to watch! It looks like Dykman could be redshirted but he has been on the floor so little it's hard to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
            It looks like King may get the most minutes this year as for the freshman. He is so physical and can play different positions. He doesn't backdown from anything and is more than willing to mix it up inside on rebounds. Gentry is a true pass first point guard and is fast! You better be paying attention when you are playing with him unless you want the ball bouncing off your head! He is fun to watch! It looks like Dykman could be redshirted but he has been on the floor so little it's hard to tell.
            They made the point on the radio broadcast that King has a more ready for the college game body in part because he attended military prep school for a year after he graduated from high school, so he is a year older than most freshmen.

Comment

They made the point on the radio broadcast that King has a more ready for the college game body in part because he attended military prep school for a year after he graduated from high school, so he is a year older than most freshmen.
              Oh yes and it shows! One thing IMO is I'm not really sure what his true position is? He reminds me of T. prince (from a few years back that transferred out) with his toughness. He looks to be that off guard kind of guy that is gonna give you defense and rebounds. We really haven't seen him shoot the ball enough so far to tell but he has a nice looking shot. One other thing in last nites game was the fouls. With the point of interest on defending the ball handler we may hear the whistle plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                Oh yes and it shows! One thing IMO is I'm not really sure what his true position is? He reminds me of T. prince (from a few years back that transferred out) with his toughness. He looks to be that off guard kind of guy that is gonna give you defense and rebounds. We really haven't seen him shoot the ball enough so far to tell but he has a nice looking shot. One other thing in last nites game was the fouls. With the point of interest on defending the ball handler we may hear the whistle plenty.
                They said last night he could play both guard spots - I have not seen him play - does he seem to have good enough handles to play the point ?

Comment

They said last night he could play both guard spots - I have not seen him play - does he seem to have good enough handles to play the point ?
                  He had 3 turnovers last night. Parks also billed as PG/SG too. Parks is still preferred at the 2. King has no fear of the contact when going for loose balls or playing defense. Both Gentry and King have high RPM's on the floor. They rest on the bench. Effort is not a limiting factor for either of these players. If King is the PG, it will not be the first choice at this time.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    He had 3 turnovers last night. Parks also billed as PG/SG too. Parks is still preferred at the 2. King has no fear of the contact when going for loose balls or playing defense. Both Gentry and King have high RPM's on the floor. They rest on the bench. Effort is not a limiting factor for either of these players. If King is the PG, it will not be the first choice at this time.
                    I agree with you. IMO it would be a stretch for him to be a PG that spot seems to be where Gentry fills next year.

Comment

King reminds me alot of DeAndre Parks. But he's probably a bit stronger/more physical.

Gentry is certainly very quick with the ball, and he will be a good PG.

With Marshall at starting point, and Moffitt as his probably backup, and Parks ability to handle the point... I guess I'd like to see Gentry sit this year too.

But that's me.

If Coach and staff feel Gentry is ready to play go for it. Hope that Flatten can recover quickly.

Daum is pretty mobile and athletic for a post player. A bit of a change from Cody Larson and Thiessen. But he fills in nicely at the 4 spot, too.

Still need to find a inside scoring presence. Hopes are it's Thiessen, but it may be Daum. I'm guessing that's the lack of minutes for Devine...as he has proven to be a bit limited offensively.

Another note. Looks like they will continue to play "small" with Telly at the 4 (really no choice with Marshall, Parks, and Bittle), but Severyn seems to fill in at the 4 spot for Telly most of the time.

Comment

The exhibition game found 28 points at the post between Theisen and Daum. I would wager that if you promised 28 points each night for those 2 guys, Nagy would be relieved. they also shot 10-11 from the charity stripe.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                          King reminds me alot of DeAndre Parks. But he's probably a bit stronger/more physical.

Gentry is certainly very quick with the ball, and he will be a good PG.

With Marshall at starting point, and Moffitt as his probably backup, and Parks ability to handle the point... I guess I'd like to see Gentry sit this year too.

But that's me.

If Coach and staff feel Gentry is ready to play go for it. Hope that Flatten can recover quickly.

Daum is pretty mobile and athletic for a post player. A bit of a change from Cody Larson and Thiessen. But he fills in nicely at the 4 spot, too.

Still need to find a inside scoring presence. Hopes are it's Thiessen, but it may be Daum. I'm guessing that's the lack of minutes for Devine...as he has proven to be a bit limited offensively.

Another note. Looks like they will continue to play "small" with Telly at the 4 (really no choice with Marshall, Parks, and Bittle), but Severyn seems to fill in at the 4 spot for Telly most of the time.
                          When listening to the game, it seems to me that at one point Thiesen and Daum were in the game at the same time. This could be an option against teams with big line-ups. If not this season, I think this could very well happen a year from now with Reed moving to the 3.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            Nagy has been playing Reed and Lane at the PF spot. Unless you go big, there aren't a ton of minutes for 4 people to play the C spot.
                            If Flatten can come back healthy I would like to seem him in the mix at the 3/4. His size, speed, and athleticism would be great for spelling Telly & Bittle when we're playing small. Hopefully Flatten has improved his shooting or takes less 3's and attacks more. He had one thunderous dunk last year at home where he then stared the guy that he dunked on down. Would like to see more of that out of his game.

From the sounds of it, I'm really looking forward to seeing Tevin play as well as Daum. With what we have coming back and adding two more solid bench guys, we could have something special this year if it all comes together. Someone mentioned it already about King's game looking like Parks', from highlight film I sort of got that impression as well, but a thicker version of Parks.

Comment

Working...
                            X