TV game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV game

Agreed, it is sad that the old rivalries will be put on hold (note I do not say that they're ending). But, we need to move ahead. We did try to get the entire conference to move up with us, but it didn't work out.

If USD's future is in Division II, may you win many national championships. SDSU's future lies on another path.

But for now...

"Far across the plains of Brookings
    Far as eye can see (dum-dee-dum dum dum dum)
    Stands an old abandoned ouhouse
    Called the University...
    It's at Vermillion....."
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

When usd chose its future to stay D2, You lost most/all bargaining power to schedule home games. I think Oien was more than generous offering a nuetral game in Sioux Falls. The opportunity to play SDSU and as your radio announcers like to say "get a suitcase full of money" exists... just agree to SDSU's terms and the rivalry will continue. if not... be happy playing the Upper Iowa's and Peru States of the world. Your athletic programs are becoming more insignificant with each passing year.

Comment

Originally posted by goyotes
        Don't worry about rowdy fans.  Chris Solari has left his job at the Argus Leader and is now a part-time security officer for NCC athletic events and he will be in charge of monitoring the crowd on Saturday.  So State fans tempted to throw objects on to the court to get technical fouls called on the Yotes better be careful.

With regards to the t-shirts, tasteless vs. clever depends on the person reading the T-shirt.  I think "Beat State - Not Your Wife" is clever.  Also with the recent article in the Collegian, I am sure that the back and forth chant of "Screw the U" vs. "State Sucks" may show up with some reference to 10 minutes.

All BS aside and not trying to start another rehashing of the merits of State going D1AA and the U staying DII, I have several family members and good friends from both institutions and all agree that the rivalry should be continued.  

Maybe an appropriate t-shirt for SDSU would be "Where is Kelly Higgins, and why was he fired?  tic for tack as they say, but crap that would be lower our selves to the USD level.  Whats with you people and what makes an SDSU alum wants to even converse with a USD grad, when your people are so classless, you seem to act like Buster.

The rivalry will soon be dead and glad of it. Whenever they find someone at USD who knows how to ask for money maybe then they can entertain the thought of going D1AA, but until then enjoy your Harvard status In South Dakota ;D ;D : ;D > :

Comment

This is what kelo has to say

02/23/2004
          Security Measures In Place For USD-SDSU Game

Fights, disrespectful t-shirts and dead animals being tossed out are common occurrences when the University of South Dakota and South Dakota State University matchup against each other in sports. But the 105-year rivalry between the universities is coming to an end.

This Saturday the men's and women's basketball teams will hit the court for what could be the last time. USD school officials are gearing up for the big game.

Emotions are running high at both SDSU and USD. Not only are this weekend's games part of a long standing rivalry, they will also determine where each University ranks in the North Central Conference.

It's a typical Monday at USD. But the University's athletic director hopes by the time this weekend hits, the students will be pumped up and at the dome, showing support for the Coyotes. Joel Nielsen says, "I want them to come out and be loud and crazy and wild and that sort of thing, but I also want them to do it in a respectful manner."

That's why University officials have met to discuss security measures and traffic control for the game. It's something they do before every event, but Nielsen says the U-State rivalry gets a bit more attention. There will be clothing and jacket searches. Nielsen says, "We will not allow bags other than diaper bags or essential bags, so we'll check bags and that sort of thing."

Student Lindsey Soukup says, "I understand that they have to do that, you know, but it's college and it's part of the excitement and that's how you get a lot of fans there."

And if students show up in "hate state" t-shirts, there's a back up plan. USD will have 1200 commemorative and supportive t-shirts for the students to put on instead. Some students like that idea. Matt Brickner says, "I think a lot of times some of the t-shirts are inappropriate that they do have on. Some are a little graphic."

USD administration is also going to ask the coaches to talk to the students and fans about conduct. Nielsen says bad behavior could cause the team a technical foul and have an impact on the final score.

We will be televising the U-State game this weekend on KELOLAND TV starting at six PM. The game will air with a short tape delay.

Amanda Spicer
          © 2004 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.
          Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA

This Saturday the men's and women's basketball teams will hit the court for what could be the last time. USD school officials are gearing up for the big game.

Emotions are running high at both SDSU and USD. Not only are this weekend's games part of a long standing rivalry, they will also determine where each University ranks in the North Central Conference.
            If the men beat UNO on Friday the game with USD is only for pride and to determine SDSU's regional ranking. USD will probably lose to Augie on Friday night anyways.

The women's game is also much more significant for SDSU than USD. NDSU is not going to lose at home to SCSU or MSU and will finish 11-3. The Jacks need to sweep this weekend to tie for the conference title. Having split with NDSU, how do they detemine the #1 seed for the conference tourney??

KELO could have done a better job of accurately stating the significance of the games for SDSU. For USD its more about getting a few shots in at you bigger and more talented brother. USD, KELO, and the Loser just make me laugh. ;D
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA
              And if students show up in "hate state" t-shirts, there's a back up plan. USD will have 1200 commemorative and supportive t-shirts for the students to put on instead.
              What? The U is going so far as to try to smother the "Hate State" shirts? I'm all for good sportsmanship and there will undoubtedly be plenty of policing to be done by the U officials, but "Hate State" is a longstanding tradition and part of the rivalry. It's just as much a tradition as "Screw the U." Sounds like they're getting a little overboard in their efforts to avoid any ugliness.

Comment

My sources tell me that USD students having been printing up shirts that say "Beat State, Not Your Wife." That is a long ways from Hate State. Obviously the new athletic director is just trying to keep some type of order.

I've also heard that there will be a five minute delay from what's on the court to what is seen on the television. USD has asked KELO to do this. Maybe Janet Jackson wants to show her hooter ring in Vermillion and people are worried.

Comment

Have you all seen this? The Yote powers that be are worried. Very worried. With good reason.

http://www.usd.edu/

Feb 24, 2004

An Open Letter to Coyote Fans

VERMILLION, S.D. -- This Saturday, USD will meet SDSU in a basketball game at the DakotaDome that will focus the attention of the state on The University of South Dakota. We ask you to join us in cheering our Coyotes to victory. We also ask that you promote good sportsmanship, and the U, by conducting yourselves in a positive manner.

Coyote and Jackrabbit athletes have met on the court, field and track for more than 100 years. It is a long and storied rivalry. Emotions run high, sometimes too high. Fan behavior at the game will affect the reputation of our University. Poor sportsmanship, disruptive behavior and obscene or distasteful clothing and signage paint a poor picture of our students and our University, an image that is not deserved.

Free expression is valued at USD. This letter is not an attempt to provide a checklist of what will and what will not be allowed. It is simply two members of the University community who care about our University, and its reputation, asking our students and fans to work together to uphold our good reputation in our state and beyond.

A great many USD students have attended athletic events at the Dome this year. You have supported our Coyotes without being derogatory toward the opposing team, their coaches and the officials. We are confident that on Saturday you will do the same. Go Yotes!

Sincerely,

Joel Nielsen James W. Abbott

Athletic Director President

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh, the poll on the U's web page is amusing too, in a pathetic sort of way.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                      Oh, the poll on the U's web page is amusing too, in a pathetic sort of way.
                      Leave it to the U to deny their students a chance to succeed. The corrcet answear is D neither.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Leave it to the U to deny their students a chance to succeed. The corrcet answear is D neither.

Go State!

Perhaps a better poll would be, in which games will technical fouls seriously hamper the U's ability to crawl back from a double digit deficit?

Comment

Funny, I dont remember Pres. Miller or anyone in our admin dept. begging our students to be well behaved.
                          I guess it's just a matter of class.  I was curious about the broadcast delay. I'm assuming the bad behavior/incidents can be edited out? Way to go usd...

Comment

She is probably more concerned about your AD behaving and doesn't have the time to worry about the students.

Comment

She is probably more concerned about your AD behaving and doesn't have the time to worry about the students.
                              Is that all you have  ???  The AD stuff was old, tired, and lame a week ago.

Comment

Well the AD's at SDSU either retire or die in office as did Stan Marshall, unexpectly.

Fred Oien will retire when he wants to.  We have yet to fire an AD.  A family related problem is hardly a cause for termination.  

If its a meaningful statistic USD leads SDSU in the firing of AD's 2-0.  Also USD leads SDSU in Law suits for improper firing 1-0, so I guess USD gots something going for them with all those good legal aid in the form of a law school on campus, you would have thought Jack Doyle would have tapped that resource, but NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
                                Mr. Doyle thought he was smarter than the average lawyer.

Comment

Working...
                                X