Matt Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Matt Jones

Over on the always reliable Sioux Board they are claiming that a UND coach indicated that Jones is not playing this weekend.

Comment

If SDSU had the ethics, or lack thereof of UND, they wouldn't comment on whether or not he would play. He would just be listed as day to day. :

Comment

Could be a gametime decision. Wouldn't expect him to be 100% regardless. Him and his 40 inch vertical changes the complexions of both games this weekend if he plays.

Comment

I'll find out if he is playing or not when I tune into the webcast on WNAX. The team had better be ready to play regardless. This is the biggest game of the year as it pertains to the potential for hosting the regional. From that perspective, it is a must win for SDSU. What makes it more important are the implications for NDSU's playoff hopes if they lose. I'm sure they are approaching this as a must win also.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am inclined to believe Matt will not be back for a while. As I said in another draft, he was traveling with the team and not dressed in game uniform but was wearingthe blue traveling gear. I thinking the treatment as Jackmd suggested needs time so we just need to be patient here. Nagy has wanted Joe Green to heal his ankle so I suspect the same is true with Jones. SDSU wants a healthy Matt Jones and maybe its going to take more time.

Comment

I understand Matt Jones will be lucky to get back in time for postseason. There may be some question whether he has Lymes Disease now as the treatment that was going well does not seem to be having the same effect and they are worried about his health again. I saw him up close this weekend and he looks like he has gotten bigger during his time away from the court.

Comment

When's he coming back? Seriously, what are they doing at the Mayo Clinic, I thought that they would be able to figure out whats wrong with him. Isn't that the primary purpose of a hospital. If I was him I would be getting pretty freaked out if nobody could figure out whats wrong with me.

Comment

jackmd,
                  I also have some questions, if the diagnosis was Lyme disease there shouldnt be any debate. There is a definitive test for this... right? Correct me if I'm wrong but lymes is caused by a spirochete (sp?) it should be present in the body or not. If it's there, its Lymes right, why would someone not respond to an antibiotic against a targeted bacteria. (aside from antibiotic resistance). enlighten us doc.

Comment

Sorry for my tardiness, was in Brookings all weekend watching the Jacks go 4-0 while NDSU's men fade away and UND's women slipped up in Vermillion. As Nagy said the game against UNO on Friday will be for the NCC championship.

Regarding Matt: I spoke to him Friday night and he has not been to Mayo. He has been just about everywhere else. I gave him my card and asked him to call my secretary. I can get him an appointment if he would like.

Lyme disease in its acute phases is quite easy to diagnose if a patient can give the proper history. Once the disease reaches the subacute or chronic phase the diagnosis can be more difficult for a general practitioner. I have posted a couple of paragraphs from the MayoClinic website as well as a link to the Lyme disease section. Hopefully it will help to answere some of your questions.

My take, I don't think a definite diagnosis has been made. If it has and Lyme disease is correct, the treatment will take some time. I must say that Matt seemed upbeat and looked pretty good.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm...5451078402A989
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Lyme disease

Lyme disease can sometimes be difficult to diagnose. Its variable symptoms mimic other conditions, including viral infection, various joint disorders, muscle pain (fibromyalgia) or chronic fatigue syndrome. In addition, not all people with Lyme disease develop the same symptoms.

If a rash isn't apparent, your doctor will take a detailed medical history of your signs and symptoms and perform a careful physical examination. Laboratory tests to identify antibodies to the bacterium are also likely to be used to help confirm the diagnosis. These tests are most reliable a few weeks after an infection because it takes your body some time to develop antibodies.

Other factors often taken into account include the time of year you appeared to be infected, your level of outdoor exposure, any history of a tick bite and a thorough ruling out of other diseases that may be the cause of your signs and symptoms.

Laboratory tests that you may undergo to help confirm a diagnosis of Lyme disease include:

Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) test. The blood test most often used to screen for Lyme disease is the ELISA test. It detects antibodies to B. burgdorferi, the bacterium that causes Lyme disease. It can also detect antibodies to similar bacteria and other blood proteins, causing a false-positive test, so it should not be used as the sole basis for diagnosis.
                      Western blot test. If the ELISA test is positive, another test, the Western blot, is usually performed to confirm the diagnosis. The Western blot detects antibodies to several proteins of B. burgdorferi.
                      Polymerase chain reaction (PCR). This test is used for people who likely have chronic Lyme arthritis. The test helps to detect B. burgdorferi bacterial DNA in fluid drawn from an infected joint and may be an indicator of persistent infection. This test has been used to detect persistent infection in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with nervous system symptoms.
                      The genetic sequence of B. burgdorferi has been mapped, which may provide scientists and researchers with increased understanding of the disease, its diagnosis and treatment.

Comment

Lyme disease: Treatment

Antibiotics are the standard treatment for Lyme disease in its early stages. For adults, doctors may recommend such antibiotic drugs as doxycycline (Doryx, Monodox), cefuroxime (Ceftin) or amoxicillin (Amoxil, Trimox). Doxycycline is not advised for children younger than age 9 and pregnant or breast-feeding women because it can cause discoloration in the developing permanent teeth of children and unborn babies. Instead, doctors may use penicillin V (Veetids, Beepen-VK). If you're allergic to penicillin, you may receive erythromycin (E-Mycin, Ery-Tab). Treatment with these drugs for a few weeks usually clears the infection and prevents complications. For treatment to be most successful, it's important to take the full course of medications. Don't discontinue taking these antibiotics prematurely.

If the disease has progressed to a later stage, your brain, nerves, heart or joints may be affected. Hospitalization may be necessary in some cases. Treatment will then likely include penicillin G or a drug called ceftriaxone (Rocephin) administered intravenously. These treatments are usually effective and may resolve symptoms.

Research is also being done on a topical antibiotic cream that could stop the infection from spreading immediately following a bite.

Comment

Thanks Doc, Its good to have an MD on our board to discuss this subject. Welcome back from Brookings, Time off to watch the Jacks is always an excusable absence!!

Comment

I heard at the games this weekend that Matt has been practicing. Any word on status this weekend? Would be nice to have him and Joe Green at least dressed for moral support!

Comment

Nagy told the boosters group today that Matt will suit up for this weekend's games. But he also said that Matt is sore from just being on the exercise bike. He may not see any action. It should be a big boost for everyone to see him on the floor and in uniform.

Comment

That is GREAT news. Anyone heard anything about Green?

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X