2015-2016 Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015-2016 Team

Nagy has been pretty quiet. I spoke with Dykman's parents at the second exhibition and they indicated he is red shirting. Not sure why you'd redshirt Brown as a walkon. Two schools of thought on Gentry. I'd love to see Gentry redshirted if he's going to play a handful of minutes occassionally but having a completely "green" pg next year isn't overly appealing. I'm not sure George can go 34 min/game. My guess is Gentry will play. King is going to play. KIng looks physically ready and tough as nails. Guessing he'll play.
    Last edited by GoldCountryJack; 11-12-2015, 01:21 PM.
    Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

Brown could easily be compared to Jacobsen as a walkon who redshirted the first year. This is his 5th year on the team. Many young people are taking 5 years to finish an undergrad program or he may have plans for a master program that relates to the elementary ed major he is pursuing. Moffitt had that transfer redshirt as a walkon, but he has proven that you may need him as a player down the line. I do think Gentry could add to this year's team, but I also understand he may not be getting his minutes as a backup this year and he will be getting some time in practice to rub some of the "green" off his play. We should know tomorrow.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        Brown could easily be compared to Jacobsen as a walkon who redshirted the first year. This is his 5th year on the team. Many young people are taking 5 years to finish an undergrad program or he may have plans for a master program that relates to the elementary ed major he is pursuing. Moffitt had that transfer redshirt as a walkon, but he has proven that you may need him as a player down the line. I do think Gentry could add to this year's team, but I also understand he may not be getting his minutes as a backup this year and he will be getting some time in practice to rub some of the "green" off his play. We should know tomorrow.
        I think we are getting pretty loose with the term redshirt here. The only time it really matters is if your talking about a scholarship player.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
          I think we are getting pretty loose with the term redshirt here. The only time it really matters is if your talking about a scholarship player.
          That sounds as though the non scholarship player should only be around 4 years. That clearly has not happened with Jacobsen. Also, the year that Moffitt sat out is a redshirt year and he is not a scholarship player. It sounds a bit condescending to not have a little respect for a member of the team who has the same time frame to complete competition as a scholarship player. The football team even has redshirt walkons that often get a piece of a scholarship later. I guess I will stay with the loose definition.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

That sounds as though the non scholarship player should only be around 4 years. That clearly has not happened with Jacobsen. Also, the year that Moffitt sat out is a redshirt year and he is not a scholarship player. It sounds a bit condescending to not have a little respect for a member of the team who has the same time frame to complete competition as a scholarship player. The football team even has redshirt walkons that often get a piece of a scholarship later. I guess I will stay with the loose definition.
            All I was saying is there is a big difference. To redshirt a non scholarship player costs you nothing. To redshirt a scholarship player (in basketball) costs you a scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
              All I was saying is there is a big difference. To redshirt a non scholarship player costs you nothing. To redshirt a scholarship player (in basketball) costs you a scholarship.
              Brayden Carlson comes to mind as another walkon who redshirted. He did pick up a scholarship after the year.

Comment

Brayden Carlson comes to mind as another walkon who redshirted. He did pick up a scholarship after the year.
                I can't remember the details on him. Did he come in as a true walk-on with no idea he would eventually get a scholarship, or was he more of a grayshirt who knew he would go on scholarship when one opened up ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  I can't remember the details on him. Did he come in as a true walk-on with no idea he would eventually get a scholarship, or was he more of a grayshirt who knew he would go on scholarship when one opened up ?
                  Gray shirt if I remember correctly.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Chadron State doesn't do much for me but the Monday game against Weber St should be a better test. Tonight get out of it injury free and win by 25. Weber has one of the better bigs in the Big Sky from what I've seen. Guard play is solid too.

Comment

Jacks come in at #50 on latest Ken Pomeroy ranking....

http://kenpom.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GoldCountryJack View Post

Minnesota still at a respectable #125

Comment

A few others worth noting at this (still VERY early point).

- 79 Texas Tech
                          - 110 NDSU
                          - 115 TCU
                          - 117 Middle Tenn St.
                          - 128 Weber St.
                          - 149 ORU
                          - 177 WIU
                          - 183 FW
                          - 198 UMKC
                          - 201 UNO
                          - 207 USD
                          - 227 Florida Gulf Coast
                          - 261 IUPUI
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            A few others worth noting at this (still VERY early point).

- 79 Texas Tech
                            - 110 NDSU
                            - 115 TCU
                            - 117 Middle Tenn St.
                            - 128 Weber St.
                            - 149 ORU
                            - 177 WIU
                            - 183 FW
                            - 198 UMKC
                            - 201 UNO
                            - 207 USD
                            - 227 Florida Gulf Coast
                            - 261 IUPUI
                            -
                            Middle Tn St won the Great Alaska Shootout. Not a great shootout field this year, but MTSU is a quality team.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              Middle Tn St won the Great Alaska Shootout. Not a great shootout field this year, but MTSU is a quality team.
                              Looked at the field from this year's tourney and "not a great shootout field" is kind. I remember back when that tourney had some of the nation's best teams.

Comment

Looked at the field from this year's tourney and "not a great shootout field" is kind. I remember back when that tourney had some of the nation's best teams.
                                I was just wondering the other day if they still even did it anymore.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X