X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacked_Up
    replied
    Re: 2016 Recruits

Coach Otz has indicated that he'll play more of a running game. I think he'll have to go deeper into the bench.

Leave a comment:

• NoVaJack
    replied

Has their been any indication whether this coach will go deeper into his bench than Nagy often did?

Leave a comment:

• Southeast
    replied

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    We were pretty spoiled last year with not only the quality of the roster but the depth as well. Obviously it was a huge asset but now we have the flip side of that in having to replace a lot of guys. It is important that they balance out the classes so we have stability. With the recruits that have been brought in that appears to be exactly their approach. I agree we could use another big to spell Thiessen.

Thiessen will be a huge factor next year. He took a lot of heat at times on here last year (I'm not saying some wasn't warranted) but you have to love how he responded at the end of the year. He was a force. If he progresses we may have the best center in the league along with Daum who is arguably the best player. Not a bad place to start a team.

SUPERBUNNY

Agreed, Theissen was only a sophomore last year. Your typical Summit-caliber centers don't make much of a splash until they have a couple years to bulk up and learn a few tricks for working in the paint. Daum was a freak, coming on strong so early for a post.

Also, people who follow this league a heck of a lot closer than most of us named Adam Dykman the preseason Summit "Freshman of the Year" last year. I'm sure that did not come out of nowhere. He has another six months to add a few pounds and work on his game. I would guess we'll be seeing a lot of him by March.

Leave a comment:

• SUPERBUNNY
    replied

We were pretty spoiled last year with not only the quality of the roster but the depth as well. Obviously it was a huge asset but now we have the flip side of that in having to replace a lot of guys. It is important that they balance out the classes so we have stability. With the recruits that have been brought in that appears to be exactly their approach. I agree we could use another big to spell Thiessen.

Thiessen will be a huge factor next year. He took a lot of heat at times on here last year (I'm not saying some wasn't warranted) but you have to love how he responded at the end of the year. He was a force. If he progresses we may have the best center in the league along with Daum who is arguably the best player. Not a bad place to start a team.

SUPERBUNNY

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I think they need more bodies. Even last season, with a bigger roster, they sometimes had trouble practicing. Nagy talked about it all the time. Marshall, Parks and Bittle, among others, missed a lot of practice time with nagging injuries.
    Telly and Thiesen were the only starters to make every game. Parks only missed 1 game. King and Daum were the only reserves to play every game. Moffit missed one game.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

I think they need more bodies. Even last season, with a bigger roster, they sometimes had trouble practicing. Nagy talked about it all the time. Marshall, Parks and Bittle, among others, missed a lot of practice time with nagging injuries.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied

The jacks are losing seven players from this year's team and gaining four. So I'm hoping the coaches are still looking, especially for a post who's eligible to play right away and can spell Daum and Thiesen.
    7 players which included Jacobsen and Doyle with limited minutes. Connor Devine logged 8.3 minutes per game in 26 games. We add 4 players from the outside and Dykman and Gentry who redshirted. It is not like we have depleted the squad. Also Brown redshirted last year as a walk-on too. It looks like a wash except the practices may not be as deep on bodies. Again, we should not forget Dykman could be an effective "spell" for the 4 spot should we see Daum start at the 4 and move to the post during the game.

Leave a comment:

• jacks1
    replied

I would venture to say that the roster is set for 2016-2017, barring unforseen circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

I think the vast majority on this board and even the staff would like to have more depth down low. However, TJ just came from a Cyclone program that was not overly big and was one of the better teams in D1 last year. I think the makeup of our roster next year would fit well with what TJ has experience with and for the style of game he wants to play.

2015-16 Iowa State Roster

6'8" 230 Forward - Georges Niang (20.5 pts, 6.2 reb/game)
    6'2" 170 Guard - Monte Morris (13.8 pts, 3.9 reb, 6.9 asst)
    6'6" 230 Forward - Adel Nader (12.9 pts, 5.0 reb, 1.5 asst)
    6'9" 215 Forward - Jameel McKay (11.1 pts, 8.8 reb)
    6'4" 195 Guard - Matt Thomas (11.0 pts, 4.4 reb, 1.1 asst)

6'4" 240 Guard - Deonte Burton (9.7 pts, 3.9 reb)
    6'3" 190 Guard - Hallice Cooke (2.6 pts, 1.0 reb)

Simeon Carter and Brady Ernst were both forwards who played 3 or less minutes per game when they played.

Based on that squad, you could argue that our 2016-17 Jackrabbit lineup actually matches up well on size. We could have seven players that will log significant minutes that are 6'5" or taller. Iowa State only played three that fit that mold.

Daum 6'9"
    Theisen 6'9"
    Telly 6'6"
    Severyn 6'5"
    Flatten 6'6"
    Dykman 6'7"
    AJ Hess 6'6"

I'd argue that adding another post that would be expected to add significant minutes could actually hurt the development of Severyn, Flatten, and Dykman.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

The jacks are losing seven players from this year's team and gaining four. So I'm hoping the coaches are still looking, especially for a post who's eligible to play right away and can spell Daum and Thiesen.
    As long as he can play I don't care if he can spell their names.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hip2daHop
    replied

Keeping options open I bet....still many moving parts..some players declaring intentions to transfer every day...

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

Would think they are still looking for another big.

Leave a comment:

• Rabbit74
    replied

GoJacks.com has an article announcing four new players for this fall. I would assume that since they posted that there probably won't be any more.

They are the four we know about, the two grad transfers, the juice transfer in the freshmen from the prep school

Leave a comment:

• jack power
    replied

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    But to get the hardship 6th year don't you need to prove that you lost significant time in 2 separate years due to injury? I'm not sure a transfer redshirt year would count towards that. Maybe I'm wrong on that though.
    Correct. To even be considered for a medical hardship 6th year,he would need to lose significant time to injury in one of his 3 remaining years of eligibility. Nobody wants that,especially Brady.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X