2016 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruits

I would venture to say that the roster is set for 2016-2017, barring unforseen circumstances.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      The jacks are losing seven players from this year's team and gaining four. So I'm hoping the coaches are still looking, especially for a post who's eligible to play right away and can spell Daum and Thiesen.
      7 players which included Jacobsen and Doyle with limited minutes. Connor Devine logged 8.3 minutes per game in 26 games. We add 4 players from the outside and Dykman and Gentry who redshirted. It is not like we have depleted the squad. Also Brown redshirted last year as a walk-on too. It looks like a wash except the practices may not be as deep on bodies. Again, we should not forget Dykman could be an effective "spell" for the 4 spot should we see Daum start at the 4 and move to the post during the game.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I think they need more bodies. Even last season, with a bigger roster, they sometimes had trouble practicing. Nagy talked about it all the time. Marshall, Parks and Bittle, among others, missed a lot of practice time with nagging injuries.
        This space for lease.

Comment

I think they need more bodies. Even last season, with a bigger roster, they sometimes had trouble practicing. Nagy talked about it all the time. Marshall, Parks and Bittle, among others, missed a lot of practice time with nagging injuries.
          Telly and Thiesen were the only starters to make every game. Parks only missed 1 game. King and Daum were the only reserves to play every game. Moffit missed one game.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

We were pretty spoiled last year with not only the quality of the roster but the depth as well. Obviously it was a huge asset but now we have the flip side of that in having to replace a lot of guys. It is important that they balance out the classes so we have stability. With the recruits that have been brought in that appears to be exactly their approach. I agree we could use another big to spell Thiessen.

Thiessen will be a huge factor next year. He took a lot of heat at times on here last year (I'm not saying some wasn't warranted) but you have to love how he responded at the end of the year. He was a force. If he progresses we may have the best center in the league along with Daum who is arguably the best player. Not a bad place to start a team.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              We were pretty spoiled last year with not only the quality of the roster but the depth as well. Obviously it was a huge asset but now we have the flip side of that in having to replace a lot of guys. It is important that they balance out the classes so we have stability. With the recruits that have been brought in that appears to be exactly their approach. I agree we could use another big to spell Thiessen.

Thiessen will be a huge factor next year. He took a lot of heat at times on here last year (I'm not saying some wasn't warranted) but you have to love how he responded at the end of the year. He was a force. If he progresses we may have the best center in the league along with Daum who is arguably the best player. Not a bad place to start a team.

SUPERBUNNY

Agreed, Theissen was only a sophomore last year. Your typical Summit-caliber centers don't make much of a splash until they have a couple years to bulk up and learn a few tricks for working in the paint. Daum was a freak, coming on strong so early for a post.

Also, people who follow this league a heck of a lot closer than most of us named Adam Dykman the preseason Summit "Freshman of the Year" last year. I'm sure that did not come out of nowhere. He has another six months to add a few pounds and work on his game. I would guess we'll be seeing a lot of him by March.

Comment

Has their been any indication whether this coach will go deeper into his bench than Nagy often did?

Comment

Coach Otz has indicated that he'll play more of a running game. I think he'll have to go deeper into the bench.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Coach Otz has indicated that he'll play more of a running game. I think he'll have to go deeper into the bench.
                    In fairness to Coach Nagy, during the transition period he had no one to go to, but practice players, but this got better and towards the end, and if not for injuries he did go deep as he could go. Coach Otz has something to work with and thank goodness we only go through the transition period once. I hoping all will go well this season. Just ordered my BB tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      Has their been any indication whether this coach will go deeper into his bench than Nagy often did?
                      We have no track record to go by since he has no head coaching experience to refer to. At this point he probably doesn't know himself since he hasn't worked with any of the players. By the time the conference season rolls around, he will probably have a 7 or 8 player rotation like most coaches do.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        IMHO that would be hard to do. Nagy used his bench a lot the last couple years. Sometimes I thought too much. There were a number of games when there was five minutes left and we had 3 subs on the floor not counting Daum who needs to be on the floor.

Starters:
                        Deondre Park
                        George Marshall
                        Jake Bittle
                        Reed Tellinghuisen
                        Ian Thiessen

Subs:
                        Mike Daum
                        Keaton Moffitt
                        Connor Devine
                        Lane Severyn
                        Tevin King
                        Cory Jacobsen

It was very common to use 9 or 10 players in a game. That's pretty good use of the bench. If Nagy had depth he liked to use it. My guess is most coaches would but we will have to wait and see with TJ.
                        Personally, I'm really excited for next year but I am every year so, no news there.

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          Nagy used his bench a lot the last couple years.

It was very common to use 9 or 10 players in a game.

SUPERBUNNY
                          Last year I agree, but I think if you look back at every (DI) year prior we had a pretty short bench. Last year was the first time since the DII days that Nagy actually had some depth if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            Last year I agree, but I think if you look back at every (DI) year prior we had a pretty short bench. Last year was the first time since the DII days that Nagy used some depth if I recall correctly.
                            Adjusted your post to reflect my sentiment. IMO, there have been several years that our depth has been better than playing time reflected. Multiple players nursing injuries during the middle of the season forced Nagy to use depth this year when in the past he wouldn't have. I think the fact that were losing so many key players contributed as well (Parks, Marshall, Bittle, Moffitt). If Nagy was going to be around next year, King needed some experience - if one of those 4 had another year of eligibility I don't think King would have played nearly as much. His playing time fell off dramatically during the critical second half of the season - after he had proven his ability to contribute.

This is just my layman's opinion. Obviously the results the last 5 years have been amazing. Its ancient history now. Onward with TJ!
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The last 5 years the Jacks averaged 24 wins, made the NCAA tourney 3 times,and also had a NIT win. I was ok with Nagy's use of players. If TJ can match those results i don't care if he only plays with 4.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                                The last 5 years the Jacks averaged 24 wins, made the NCAA tourney 3 times,and also had a NIT win. I was ok with Nagy's use of players. If TJ can match those results i don't care if he only plays with 4.
                                Like I said, the last 5 years have been amazing.

A fan can be happy with the stats you listed while being unhappy with Coach Nagy's player rotations. Or use of timeouts. Or courtside demeanor.

Coach Nagy had shortcomings, like every coach ever. I'm sure I will be unhappy/unsatisfied with some aspects of TJ's program as well.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X