2016 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruits

Could he be used as a Telly type player, that is more of a natural 3 that ends up playing the 4? I haven't seen him play, but based on Nagy's quote, that doesn't seem likely.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      I really think that Gentry will be that good next year, too. I just don't know what we have after him.
      Can King play the PG spot?

Of course that depends on on what we get from Flatten and Dykman. I could see any of those 4 play the SF spot. It would be nice if Flatten and/or Dykman can play the SG spot.
      I was able to catch a practice this season and noticed a few things about Gentry & Dykman. Gentry is very shifty and crafty...has a nice floater...but seems to lack an outside shot. He'll need to be somewhat of a threat from deep so opponents don't sag off of him. In terms of Dykman, he's not a guard what so ever. He has a "Tony Fiegen" type game. Active and athletic, decent mid-range, he'll back up at the 4 spot for the next couple of years.

If we don't land a Grad-Transfer guard I would expect Tevin & Skyler to back up Gentry at the PG spot. King played a little bit at the position this year and Skyler played a little PG last year.

Spoke with a team Staff member earlier this year and the coaches are very high on a couple of 2017 Guards from Minnesota so I don't see them bringing in a Freshman guard this spring. A Grad-Transfer would be best case scenario at this point.

Comment

Maybe it's my lack of memory, but I don't remember Flatten playing any point two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          Maybe it's my lack of memory, but I don't remember Flatten playing any point two years ago.
          He had an impressive dunk in the SLT two years ago. Think it was in the semis and the game wasn't all that close at the time. Other than that I also don't remember him getting many minutes.

He very well could be a key piece next year but assuming he's one is a stretch especially if you consider he hasn't been the most durable guy on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            He had an impressive dunk in the SLT two years ago. Think it was in the semis and the game wasn't all that close at the time. Other than that I also don't remember him getting many minutes.

He very well could be a key piece next year but assuming he's one is a stretch especially if you consider he hasn't been the most durable guy on the team.
            I think of him in the dale moss model. Great athlete can do impressive thigns like that dunk. But feel Flattens defense is lacking a bit. I would think him more of a slasher scorer type athletic shooting guard. I usually perfer my shooting guards to be really really good shooters, like a clint sargent. Sometimes i like having the SF or the 3 spot to be more of a slasher and scorer type but can hopefully still shoot the 3 respectibly. Plus if his knees arent going to be healthy it might take away his explosive and athletic sytle of play. Hope he is able to really contribute this coming year though.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              I think of him in the dale moss model. Great athlete can do impressive thigns like that dunk. But feel Flattens defense is lacking a bit. I would think him more of a slasher scorer type athletic shooting guard. I usually perfer my shooting guards to be really really good shooters, like a clint sargent. Sometimes i like having the SF or the 3 spot to be more of a slasher and scorer type but can hopefully still shoot the 3 respectibly. Plus if his knees arent going to be healthy it might take away his explosive and athletic sytle of play. Hope he is able to really contribute this coming year though.
              Pretty detailed analysis of a guy that's only been on the floor 304 minutes in his SDSU career.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I remember him playing. And I like his game. I just don't remember him playing point guard like the previous poster I quoted said.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  This addition will allow Nagy to go back to a more "traditional" type line-up next year. Daum can move to a Dykstra-type 4 where he can be a beast and Telly can move to the 3 where he can provide big match-up problems for a lot of teams. Now if a JUCO guard could be added who can step right in and provide minutes next season, it could be an interesting group with Gentry and Dykman also coming into the mix.
                  So general thoughts on next years rotation:

1- Gentry, new player, Brown (is he a PG?)
                  2- King, Tellinghuisen, Flatten, new player
                  3- Tellinghuisen, Severyn, Flatten
                  4- Daum, Severyn, Dykman,
                  5- Theisen, Devin, Doyle, Vollbrecht (probable RS?)

Based off the little pre-season work I saw, Gentry looks more like the facilitator and less the scorer. Not based off much I know... I know nothing of Brown.

King seems like such a tweener to me, the size of a 2 guard with the game of a small/power forward (reminds me a bit of T. Prince). Makes me wonder that if Flatten or Severyn really step up, could we shift Telly to a shooting guard?

Flatten is a little bigger and slight more athletic than Telly, but he is not the hardest worker on D (at least yet). Severyn is another guy who seems stuck between positions. The size of a 3 with more of a stretch 4 kind of game. I didn't see much growth in his game from last year, so worried about him. I haven't really seen enough of Dykman to know much, but I'm hoping he provides solid back-up production at the 4.

Seem like we have a group of role players at the 5. Personally thought Devine outplayed Theisen at the end of the season, but really neither is a strong point.

My random thoughts anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    I remember him playing. And I like his game. I just don't remember him playing point guard like the previous poster I quoted said.
                    Oh, got ya. You didn't quote him and I missed the "point" word in your post so I misunderstood.

I don't think he played any point.

Comment

Some info from Dykman's bio, if he can defend he should be a solid backup at the 4-spot as a freshman. Look at those shooting numbers (.423 career 3-point and school record FT's made). Later in his career you might see he and Daum stretching the defense pretty wide.

Named Nebraska’s 2015 Mr. Basketball ... averaged 22.9 points 12.1 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game as a senior in 2014-15 in leading the Knights to a third place finish in the state with a 20-7 overall record ... set career-high marks in his senior season with 44 points and 19 rebounds in a game against Boys Town ... set the school single-season rebounds record with 326 and free throws made record with 194 as a senior ... also holds the school record with 720 career rebounds and with a .423 career 3-point field goal percentage

Comment

I think some people are going to be surprised with Dykman. He wont put up Daum type numbers but he will be right up there. He will be a solid role player next year.

I mentioned Cullen Neal(New Mexico transfer) as a possible grad transfer a week or so ago. He has visits lined up at Ole Miss and Texas A&M. He is probably out of the Jacks reach.

Comment

So if I am correct going into next year we have 10 under scholarship and one non-scholly in Beau Brown. We have one verbal commit and one other offer out there. With National LOI day on April 13th, is anyone else a little nervous about the lack of talk about prospects? Seems like every year we have at least one person choose to move on so the 4 open schollies make me a little nervous. I definitely don't want them to offer just anyone to fill them but it just seems like we would have more offers out there by now.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                            So if I am correct going into next year we have 10 under scholarship and one non-scholly in Beau Brown. We have one verbal commit and one other offer out there. With National LOI day on April 13th, is anyone else a little nervous about the lack of talk about prospects? Seems like every year we have at least one person choose to move on so the 4 open schollies make me a little nervous. I definitely don't want them to offer just anyone to fill them but it just seems like we would have more offers out there by now.
                            I'm sure we are recruiting players that we have heard nothing about. When Gentry and King committed at this time a year ago, I don't believe either had even been mentioned here until the day they agreed to come to Brookings.

Comment

My guess for next year, based on current roster:
                              1 - Gentry, Brown
                              2 - Flatten, King, Severyn
                              3 - Telly, Dykman, Severyn
                              4 -Daum, Dykman, Telly
                              5 - Theisan, Devine, Doyle
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                                Do the men get 13 or 14 scholarships? Bittle, Marshall, and Parks are the spots opening up with Vollbrecht picking up one of those. I think we would have 2 spots open with one going to the hot prospect transfer that we are hearing about. I do not know much about Brown, but I am guessing that at this point he will get minutes more like Jacobsen than minutes like Moffit. It would be great if he proves me wrong.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X