2016 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruits

Well this is not really about recruiting, but you can look this topic as a recruiting tool if you enjoy winning basketball.

So the men ended up 26-7 and the women 26-6. That is a combined win total of 52. So wondered how that stacked up against all of the D-1 schools.

1.) Baylor has 55 wins, 22-10 (men) 33-1 (women)
    1.) South Carolina 55 wins, 24-7 (men), 31-1 (women)
    3.) UConn has 54 wins, 22-10 (men), 32-0 (women)
    3.) Maryland has 54 wins, 24-7 (men), 30-3 (women)
    5.) Chattanooga has 53 wins, 29-5 (men), 24-7 (women)
    6.) SDSU has 52 wins, 26-7 (men), 26-6 (women)
    6.) Notre Dame has 52 wins, 21-10 (men) and 31-1 (women)

So I surprised to see Chattanooga so high, but it looks like that have good programs too. The other 5 programs are from P5 conferences. So to be tied for the 6th best winning programs out of 350 D-1 programs is really really good.

I know other programs in our conference like to point out that SDSU has this huge advantage in the SLT but we have two winning programs that are consistently a top 2 seed in the tourney.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Looks like we got a new 2016 offer out to Matt Chastain, a 6'6" 195 lbs wing out of Le Roy, Illinois (between Bloomington and Champaign), according to Gavin Sullivan.

Looks like he's really blown up in the month of March with his play, as he recently has received a landslide of offers from the likes of Utah, Utah State, Illinois State, Indiana State, and a host of others.

Fun highlight video, and would be really fun to win the recruiting battle for him (though I won't get my hopes up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVmINqbwbDY&app=desktop
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Cullen Neal is transferring from New Mexico. He averaged 12 points and 3.7 assists as a RS Sophomore. He will be eligible to play right away due to the graduate transfer rule.
        http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...her-craig-neal

Wonder if the coaches are looking at him?

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
          Cullen Neal is transferring from New Mexico. He averaged 12 points and 3.7 assists as a RS Sophomore. He will be eligible to play right away due to the graduate transfer rule.

Would SDSU have the right graduate program for him? It does not say what his major field of study is but we would have something that fit him. Also his erratic play, I don't get that. He does have talent and I hope we are in the market on him despite the negatives mentioned in this article.

Comment

His dad is his coach at New Mexico. Craig Neal played for the Rapid City Thrillers of the CBA for a while. Craig Neal dished out 16 assists in one game in Rapid City. It was a fun game to watch.

Have I ever mentioned that I love thread drift?
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Would SDSU have the right graduate program for him? It does not say what his major field of study is but we would have something that fit him. Also his erratic play, I don't get that. He does have talent and I hope we are in the market on him despite the negatives mentioned in this article.
              Majoring in communications, according to this website: http://www.dailylobo.com/article/201...neal-transfers, and Jacks do offer graduate Mass Comm. degree (http://www.sdstate.edu/academic/graduateprograms.cfm).

I'll leave whether he'd be good for team chemistry to the coaches, as "unconventional" transfers have worked in the past.

Comment

From everything I've heard, New Mexico fans hated him. Shot 35% from the field and 32% from 3. Just about as many turnovers as assists.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  From everything I've heard, New Mexico fans hated him. Shot 35% from the field and 32% from 3. Just about as many turnovers as assists.
                  You hear regularly from New Mexico fans about players transferring out? Oh, and about those stats...let me do a quick comparison:

Deondre Parks: 41% FG, 33% 3FG, 48 A, 54 TO
                  Reed Tellinghuisen: 40% FG, 37% 3FG, 40 A, 53 TO
                  Jake Bittle: 42% FG, 32% 3FG, 55 A, 51 TO

In fact, as a team, we had more TO than assists. One more thing. Cullen had 114 assists on the season...FORTY more than our team leader. I have no idea if this kid would be a fit or not or if he's even on our radar. I do know the Jacks have needs at the guard position next season...
                  Last edited by jacks1; 03-14-2016, 06:25 PM.
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post

One can understand why he is transferring.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                      One can understand why he is transferring.
                      Whether you are a preachers kid or the coach's kid, you are not too popular. Ask the Boots Kid. Despite his numbers, I think he would work out. Comparisons do not reflect the RPI's of the opponents. I think NM plays a tougher schedule than SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                        You hear regularly from New Mexico fans about players transferring out? Oh, and about those stats...let me do a quick comparison:

Deondre Parks: 41% FG, 33% 3FG, 48 A, 54 TO
                        Reed Tellinghuisen: 40% FG, 37% 3FG, 40 A, 53 TO
                        Jake Bittle: 42% FG, 32% 3FG, 55 A, 51 TO
                        Yes. I have read multiple places that New Mexico fans dislike him. In fact, there was a piece on Deadspin that mentioned him receiving death threats from fans (possibly) (http://deadspin.com/is-a-new-mexico-...ats-1759795646). I don't condone that obviously, but I don't think it's a stretch for me to say he's not well liked. Thank you for the sarcastic comment though.

The mouthy brat so many Lobo basketball fans came to dislike, the mouthy brat himself worked so hard to hide, might actually be the secret to the University of New Mexico’s revitalization.
                        During that time he cultivated a reputation as a smack-talking punk who backed up his big mouth with a high-scoring game
                        Once he stepped foot on campus, however, he was known as the cocky kid of privilege, the one who lacked humility and respect for the game. Over the course of the last two-plus years, he did a lot to squelch that persona.
                        http://www.santafenewmexican.com/spo...d6c8279e3.html

None of those players you mentioned play point guard. Deondre and Reed shot much better. Jake has been hurt all year. Don't feel like those comparisons fit.

I wasn't making a definitive statement on him. I was just passing on what I know and had heard, and was adding a few more stats than just his per game averages.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

It's been brought up on Zimmer's weekly chat more than once that the Jacks are interested in a Big Ten grad transfer point guard. Anyone have any idea who this could be ? I watch the Gophers games, but don't follow the entire conference close enough to know who would fall in this category.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            It's been brought up on Zimmer's weekly chat more than once that the Jacks are interested in a Big Ten grad transfer point guard. Anyone have any idea who this could be ? I watch the Gophers games, but don't follow the entire conference close enough to know who would fall in this category.
                            All I had heard is that currently there is a large effort focused on a new point guard.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

If Melo Trimble wants to transfer I'd allow it.

Comment

Everyone knows they need a PG that can play right away and that evolved into them having a player lined up already.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X