GDT: SDSU vs Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU vs Denver

Parks was outstanding on the drive today. He was 5-7 inside the arc. He is very tough to stop on the layup. This is a very special talent. Marshall found his stroke for 20. How do you figure the Jackrabbits shoot 60%? How do you figure they beat a Denver team by 30 who took the Bison to overtime in Fargo? The referees called a very close game for fouls. It was different. This is a good win heading into the games at Indiana next week. The big crowd was noisy and the students provided some good noise during the "quiet" times. The Jackrabbits continue to improve. Defense might be pretty good to hold Denver to 39.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Listened to the press conference where TV stated that the SDSU starters shot 70% for the game.

Unreal.

Comment

A few notes from TV's final game recap article to put this one in perspective:

- The 8 game win streak matches SDSU's longest in conference play since they joined the Summit. Only one team has been within 13 points of the Jacks during their ongoing streak.

- It was SDSU's best showing against anybody since allowing 32 to Dakota State in 1997. SDSU gave up only 12 field goals, while creating 16 turnovers.

-
        The Pioneers totaled four field goals in the second half and shot 33.3 percent for the game.

-
        SDSU scored 21 points off turnovers. Also, it bested Denver 40-10 on points in the paint and 11-0 in transition.

-
        "They're the best (in the league) right now," Denver coach Joe Scott said. "Can they keep it going in February? If they keep doing what they're doing they stand a good chance."

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2015/01/31/sdsu-defense-shines-eighth-straight-win/22673121/

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          Parks was outstanding on the drive today. He was 5-7 inside the arc. He is very tough to stop on the layup. This is a very special talent. Marshall found his stroke for 20. How do you figure the Jackrabbits shoot 60%? How do you figure they beat a Denver team by 30 who took the Bison to overtime in Fargo? The referees called a very close game for fouls. It was different. This is a good win heading into the games at Indiana next week. The big crowd was noisy and the students provided some good noise during the "quiet" times. The Jackrabbits continue to improve. Defense might be pretty good to hold Denver to 39.
          What goes un-noticed with Parks is his defensive play. He dogged Olson all day , and never allowed him to get comfortable with his catch and shoot ,despite being about six inches shorter

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            What goes un-noticed with Parks is his defensive play. He dogged Olson all day , and never allowed him to get comfortable with his catch and shoot ,despite being about six inches shorter
            A very good point, I did not notice. In fact I was a little disappointed with 3 pointers, but made up with his drives to the hoop. We have seen this for a long time either. This team is focused and hopefully they will be 10-2 after this coming week. I often wonder if Coach Nagy has a point system to score his players on defense. You either do it or you don't. Probably does not need a point system.

Comment

After the Omaha game on Thursday Nagy was saying Parks is our best perimeter defender. Parks spoke after Nagy and said he takes great pride in his defense. It shows.

This team is the hands down favorite to win the tourney in March right now. I cant wait to play NDSU again. Have a feeling its going to be a slightly different outcome.

Comment

Parks has been doing a fantastic job defending for most of the conference season. He's a really well-rounded player and has been a great addition to the team.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  Parks has been doing a fantastic job defending for most of the conference season. He's a really well-rounded player and has been a great addition to the team.
                  Parks has been a great addition is something no one can disagree. Parks picked up 2 first half fouls guarding Olson. That was all the fouls he was cited. As close as the game was called yesterday, that is impressive.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                    Defensive dominance continues. Denver scores just 11 points in first 11 minutes of second half. Jacks build a 20 point lead. Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass is not going to produce a miraculous Denver comeback. They better start chucking it up quick.
                    As impressed as I have been with the Jacks lately I was equally disappointed by Denver. I don't see how Denver beats anyone. They have replaced Western Ill as the boring team to watch in the conference. I don't understand running that slow Princeton offense late in the game when your down by 20+. Not fun to watch and cant be fun to play that style of BB.

Big test next weekend at IPFW and IUPUI. Those two teams are playing better lately.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                      As impressed as I have been with the Jacks lately I was equally disappointed by Denver. I don't see how Denver beats anyone. They have replaced Western Ill as the boring team to watch in the conference. I don't understand running that slow Princeton offense late in the game when your down by 20+. Not fun to watch and cant be fun to play that style of BB.

Big test next weekend at IPFW and IUPUI. Those two teams are playing better lately.

GBGBGJ
                      There were several times in the 2nd half that they had a guy who could have taken an open shot but was about 20 seconds on the shot clock but passed it up to what appeared to just run down the shot clock. Unless they were terrible shooters that had the ball open.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

That was as dominant of a performance as you will see! Defensively, offensively, and the little hustle plays were all dictated by the Jacks.

When we played Denver at their place they led the nation in field goal percentage. 33% last night. Unreal!

The Jacks shot 45.9% at Denver and 59.5% Saturday.

The Jacks dominated the glass 27-20 and turnovers 7-16.

They completely took Denver out of their game. This was a complete 180 from the game in Denver. The commitment this team has made to the defensive end is unreal and the results have proven it is the key. To beat a team with a slow-down offense by 30 is staggering. I will echo others in being disappointed in Denver. They are screwed when they get down. They did a better job of running the clock out than we did. They have no ability to adapt to play any other style than their slow down. That is a problem for them.

By the way, solid effort from the fans! Good crowd of 4,725 and they made some noise. Throw in the Power of the Pig and it is tough to beat the Jacks on Pork Classic night!

The impressive streak continues. Now they need to take that effort on the road and get two W's. If they play hard on D they win both. The formula is set.

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                          As impressed as I have been with the Jacks lately I was equally disappointed by Denver. I don't see how Denver beats anyone. They have replaced Western Ill as the boring team to watch in the conference. I don't understand running that slow Princeton offense late in the game when your down by 20+. Not fun to watch and cant be fun to play that style of BB....

GBGBGJ
                          I, too, just didn't get what Denver was trying to accomplish. When a coach has a rigid system in place, what the heck is his team supposed to do when they're getting clobbered? They would have been better off just throwing out their plan and start freelancing. Their plan worked okay for the first few minutes but it just took some adjustments and solid defense to take them out of their plan. And they were left with nothing.

Comment

Working...
                          X