11/14/14 Buffalo Bulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 11/14/14 Buffalo Bulls

Make free throws, we win going away. Parks needs to get it together, don't try to be a hero, be a teammate! Moving on, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Should have been a win. Was that 12 missed FTs? Generally, I'm pleased with the toughness they showed, but missed FTs are inexcusable.
      What happened with that FT where we missed and and then got the ball back? said it was a foul, ESPN showed us in the double bonus? and we didn't get 2 shots why? it's ok (IF we got robbed)we would have missed those anyway since they were FT's

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
        Parks needs to get it together, don't try to be a hero, be a teammate! Moving on, Go Jacks!!!
        I had this same thought.
        Last edited by slosho; 11-14-2014, 09:01 PM. Reason: clarification on the Quote

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Should have been a win. Buffalo is OK, but SDSU was the better team. Was that 15 missed FTs? Generally, I'm pleased with the toughness they showed, but missed FTs are inexcusable. They should spend about 8 hours shooting free throws tomorrow.
          They made 10 less free throws than Buffalo on only 1 less attempt. yikes. They are scrappy,tho. I think they'll be alright, it will really help getting Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            He crossed half court. The point is to pass the ball up the floor because you're short of time and you don't want to allow them to make that foul.
            Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Don't want to make a long pass either that they can jump up and pick off. You could make the argument that he didn't push the ball up the court fast enough, but then on the other hand, he's more of an off-guard than a point guard so he's probably not going to be quite as fast up the court, nor will he be quite as adept at passing.

Not an awful loss, but definitely a game the Jacks should have won at the free throw line. Seems like the Jacks start every year lately ice-cold from the line. I have no idea what's going on there. Coincidence?
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

One other thing, Flatten really has a sweet stroke and a lot of freaking bounce, I'm really excited to watch him develop this year. He has newcomer of the year type potential in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Don't want to make a long pass either that they can jump up and pick off. You could make the argument that he didn't push the ball up the court fast enough, but then on the other hand, he's more of an off-guard than a point guard so he's probably not going to be quite as fast up the court, nor will he be quite as adept at passing.

Not an awful loss, but definitely a game the Jacks should have won at the free throw line. Seems like the Jacks start every year lately ice-cold from the line. I have no idea what's going on there. Coincidence?
                I certainly agree that he's not a point guard. I think poor free throw shooting is contagious disease.

Comment

While it's frustrating to lose a game that we really should have won, it's the first game and we are breaking in a ton of new players, many of which showed some signs of good things to come.

There were also plenty of those "welcome to Division I" moments as well. Probably the biggest lesson the young players need to learn is that their are athletic rim protectors at this level. If you don't finish strong or jump out instead of up your sh&t is going to get swatted into next week, which happened a bunch during Buffalo's 13-1 run in the middle of the second half.

The veterans (Larson, Bittle, and Horstman) all played well outside of the free throw line, and the newcomer of the game was definitely Skyler Flatten. Flatten has a sweet stroke and a scorer's mentality. He's going to be fun to watch develop.

Devine and Theisen both played okay. Both held their own against a decent front line from Buffalo. They'll both get more comfortable on the offensive end as the season progresses.

Tellinghuisen had his struggles, though he didn't look over-matched either, which is a good sign. Broman really didn't do a ton of good or bad in the backup point guard role. Wouldn't mind seeing him play more aggressive as long as he can stay in control.

Parks struggled basically the entire game. Had a lot of poor decisions, especially late in the game, and also missed a bunch of good looks from the perimeter. His defense was also not very good, either. To be fair to Deondre, he's playing out of position (kind of) and has the highest expectations of any of the newcomers even though he is learning a new level of basketball as well. I think we'll see a lot of up and down play from him earlier in the year with the hope he settles into his own around mid season.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

I tend to think we will have a good year. Horstman really came through tonight. Deonandre needs to take a deep breathe. He was way too anxious in the closing minutes. Buffalo is a very good team and will win some games with the horse Moss. Bobby Hurley looks rather middle aged and is graying.

Comment

Not a great night for the Summit. SDSU, USD, Western Ill, IUPUI, NDSU, all lose. Then UMKC (In the WAC) beats Missouri Is this real life?

Comment

Did nagy during the preseason make a comment along the lines of this being a better shooting team compared to recent years? Can anyone recall or have a link to it? I would guess this team is more athletic then some others but that was the question mar I had was whose gonna be knocking down 3s since we lost some great 3 pt shooters the last couple years. That's one stat that will be interesting to follow for this team. Glad to see defense doesn't look bad. I only watched the last 4 minutes and larson looked good but that was also when moss fouled out but parks looked slopy and out of control. Like he was trying to create instead of facilitate. Stinks to loss the game but a perfect example of this team showing growing pains as they get better. Game was clearly in reach just need to shoot a respectible ft % and we win. Maybe first game jitters for some?
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

That was an ugly game between two similar teams. Not unexpected. That said, FTs are the same all the time. No excuses, should have won, that's on Horstman as a senior and expected leader. He has to be better.

Plenty of reasons to be concerned but also to be optimistic. Don't have a point guard until after Christmas.

Bittle has to be better as well. They know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Did nagy during the preseason make a comment along the lines of this being a better shooting team compared to recent years? Can anyone recall or have a link to it?
                            I don't have a link, but yes, I remember the quote.

This very well could be the case, but until some of the young kids start getting comfortable and adjusted to the DI game, we're going to be streaking. That's the one thing I really liked about Flattens play, even though his shooting % wasn't that great, he looked unfazed after missing some early looks and continued to shoot with confidence.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Flattan impressed me the most and the player who least impressed me was Parks. Those last 2 drives to lane by him were forced. There were better options than that. I'm not putting the loss on Horstman. He played a good game and made plays. He just couldn't convert 2 free throws at the end of the game like the whole team. Free throw shooting needs to be addressed pronto. There is no reason not to make at least make 70% of them as a team. With that being said, the Jack's are a young and inexperienced team. Lets see what they look like against Idaho after this type of loss.

Comment

Buffalo is hanging tough against Kentucky. And this happened: http://deadspin.com/willie-cauley-st...ium=socialflow

Yeesh.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X