No announcement yet.

JACKRABBITS vs DWU TIGERS(Exhibition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JACKRABBITS vs DWU TIGERS(Exhibition)

Hats off to DWU for playing well. These games have to be fun for the small schools. Nothing to lose and a chance to make a real statement. The close score is not something that bothers me either. The non-counter aspect of these games lends itself to lineup experimentation and probably does little to get the frontline players really motivated. I'm sure looking forward to the real thing.

Comment

I was really surprised how many DWU fans made the trip. They were much louder than us during the game and had a decent De-Fense chant late in the game. Nice to see committed fans for that program. That game definitely meant more to their fan base than ours.
      "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

I'm really hoping it was just a bad shooting day, especially at the free throw line. 63% is not acceptable especially for a team that is known for shooting the ball. From what I understood in the post game interview with Nagy, A LOT of missed layups and close shots didn't fall tonight but still scored 40 points in the paint so that is a plus. I'm not sure what to expect this year for 3 point shooting. Broman can knock them down and Bittle can get some to fall. There are a lot of unproven shooters so far on team which somewhat scares me. I'm a person who loves the 3 ball so I might be over thinking and overreacting to the poor shooting.

Side note: Tellinghuisan has been REALLY impressive and would not be surprised if he gets the nod to start. He has a bright future ahead of him. Also really happy about only having 6 turnovers tonight but would like to see the team force some more which i think will come once Marshall becomes eligible.
        Last edited by SanDakotaState; 11-04-2014, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Parks had a rough night until the free throws at the end of the game. He had forced too many shots early in shot clock whether it was a quick 3 or driving the lane. He has a scoring mentality, but the shots were not part of the flow of the offense much of the night as he launched early in shot clock frequently. He was automatic at the free throw line. While he is at the point, it would be encouraging to see more than 2 assists in 34 minutes.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I've listened to and watched Nagy coached teams for nearly 20 years. I am never surprised to see them come out tight and under perform in early season games. Still frustrates me but no longer surprises me.

This season is as uncertain as any. Won't be terrible, could be good and maybe even great. Odds are the Jacks will be somewhere in the mix. Who will be the floor leader and the locker room leader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I think this team is going to be frustrating early in the year. They seem to have a high ceiling though.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              I think this team is going to be frustrating early in the year. They seem to have a high ceiling though.
              There are going to be some very ugly games early on...especially on the road. Keep Bittle healthy and hope Marshall is everything we hear he is by the time conference season rolls around...
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I think SDSU was lucky to escape with the win. DWU missed some wide open 3-point shots that I think they would make more often that what they did. We could use Voss on our team. The way he looked last night I think he would start for us. It is a good thing that Reed hit 3 3-pointers because everybody else was struggling with their shot. If you line up DWU's players and our players, I think I would take them in a shooting contest. I sure hope I'm wrong and it was just one game but it looked that way.
                Maybe DWU's players just looked more confident shooting it and that's way I think they are better shooters?

I like DWU's coach. He really looks like a players coach. His players looked like they really want to play for him and they show a ton of hustle. DWU just couldn't make up for the size differential. They played mainly upperclassmen but we are DI so that kind of evened out in my mind.

I would say that we were a younger team but I don't know if that is exactly true. We did play some younger guys but other than Reed, did any of the sophomores or freshman do much? I think they all got some PT(minus Logan) but I'm looking and trying to decide which one will get the most PT this season. Broman, Devine, Lane, Logan, Flatten, Ian? Am I missing anybody? I know that it is only the second EXHIBITION game but I think it's up in the air. Can somebody help me with this? Are we going to play more than a 7 man rotation this year? This could be a different thread.

It seemed like we had 2 seniors, 2 juniors and a freshman on the floor at key points of the game.

Comment

I don't think the Jacks were lucky to win, but used the exhibition season to define who is playing (how and where) for a team that has a lot of different parts from last year (remember we did lose four valuable players, including 3 starters.)
                  DWU is a pretty good team...they had a strong year in 2013-14, and returned all five starters. Added in to the mix was Joey Mitchell, who transferred from Black Hills State, and took over the point from one of last year's starters. And Tray Bergh was fifth in the nation last year in 3-point shooting. I note this, because I believe the Tigers are much more likely to be ready to go at this point, than the Jacks are at this point. Anyway, I agree with Coach Nagy that it was good to have the Jacks in a tight game as they continue to define roles. And I expect we all will agree that a great true point guard makes a huge difference on a team and I believe we might have that happening!

Comment

The key to these exhibition games from a fan board standpoint is to make sure and really overthink it. It's just what it is, an exhibition game that gives them a chance to experiment with lineups and looks. They will scrimmage other teams behind closed doors. That's what this was but with a crowd.

There's a lot of new moving parts. Of course, they are going to struggle at times. The sole goal for them should be to be playing their best come tournament time given the new players and Marshall coming it at semester break.

I think this will be one of the most exciting seasons just because of how the pieces need to come together.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

They call them exhibitions for a reason but clearly Nagy didn't want to lose thus the really short bench in the second half. Parks is playing out of position and it shows. Whether or not he's a viable back up is the question once Marshall returns. Reed looked very nice and Bittle had some jump and looked solid. I expect Larson will improve defensively from that performance last night because quite frankly, he got worked most of the night by their center.

Comment

I assume you all knew that Jade Miller on DWU is Macys brother? Doesnt look like he had a very good game last night. Im not surprised by the score last night. I watched the tigers quite a few games last year and they returned all their starters. A lot of SD kids. I expect them to contend for the GPAC this year. Coach Wilbur is a great guy.

Comment

Working...
                        X