Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Renovated Frost

An item of interest at today SDBOR meeting is Agenda Item 4-G:

" In the coming weeks, a system-level Alcohol Sales Task Force will look at proposed
    changes to state law that would permit the sale of alcoholic beverages on campuses. The
    task force is expected to bring its recommendations to the Board’s December meeting.
    Subject to the task force’s final report, legislation may be advanced to authorize BOR governed
    institutions to obtain and operate under on-sale alcohol licenses and special
    event alcohol on- and off-sale permits, in order to improve service, control, attendance,
    and revenue generation at institutional events
    for the benefit of university programming
    and operational enhancements."

Sure looks like they are exploring allowing for beer/alcohol sales at football and basketball games.

USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post

" In the coming weeks, a system-level Alcohol Sales Task Force will look at proposed
      changes to state law that would permit the sale of alcoholic beverages on campuses. The
      task force is expected to bring its recommendations to the Board’s December meeting.
      Subject to the task force’s final report, legislation may be advanced to authorize BOR governed
      event alcohol on- and off-sale permits, in order to improve service, control, attendance,

Sure looks like they are exploring allowing for beer/alcohol sales at football and basketball games.

I will drink to that.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I love(like) my alcohol but that only means i will have pee more and if they dont improve the bathroom situation, id better bring a gallon jug to pee in so i dont have to make the trip down. But seriously, i think there is enough alcohol drank before football games that we dont need to drink at the game too. Basketball games, ya maybe. But do really need it? A 2 hr game, have a couple before and as many as you want after.

Comment

If it increases revenue, drink up! It does not seem to be a problem at the Summit basketball tournament (an event we all go on and on about how much we love).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
            If it increases revenue, drink up! It does not seem to be a problem at the Summit basketball tournament (an event we all go on and on about how much we love).

No doubt about the increase in revenue. I just hope everyone who participates will drink like a social drinker and not as a problem drinker. There is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              You think so..? I hope not.
              Ditto. President Chicoine has been terrific. I hope he stays around for a long time. I'm assuming the post about him retiring is just someone being cheeky.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

True about the summit tourney. I love being able to have a beer or drink there. Is there alcohol for those people that are watching the game from the Dykhouse Center and the Hobo Hangout? I hadnt checked out the Hobo Hangout yet but plan on doing it this year, when its colder.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                  True about the summit tourney. I love being able to have a beer or drink there. Is there alcohol for those people that are watching the game from the Dykehouse Center and the Hobo Hangout? I hadnt checked out the Hobo Hangout yet but plan on doing it this year, when its colder.
                  I assume you mean the Dykhouse Center.
                  USD Fan

Comment

The Summit Tourney also gives us a daylong activity with 2 games per session. I would not object to alcohol sales, but it might not create the same social setting as the tournament. If we have a single game and need to drive right away, it would keep me in need of a designated driver. The Bison games last year at Scheels was good with the room before the first game and inbetween games.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I assume you mean the Dykhouse Center.
                      yea i sure did

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        The Summit Tourney also gives us a daylong activity with 2 games per session. I would not object to alcohol sales, but it might not create the same social setting as the tournament. If we have a single game and need to drive right away, it would keep me in need of a designated driver.
                        Im married to one of those.

Comment

I guess that could be taken in a number of ways. Certainly alcohol sales could be a part of it. That is going to happen in the new football stadium for those that have Suites, Loge Boxes, and Club Level Seats. Food and beverages are "included" with your tickets in those areas. So, you have access to it but it isn't "for sale" in a direct sense. My guess is that the same thing will happen when Frost is renovated. They get around it that way now so it could just as well be brought into the open.

When I read it the thing that came to mind was events like the Jackrabbit Scholarship Auction, fundraisers held at the Performing Arts Center, the facility at McRory Gardens, or any number of other events that could be held on campus where it would be beneficial to have beer and cocktails available for sale. That would be a way of attracting more business to the university's facilities that are going to other facilities such as the Swiftel Center, hotels, or similar venues. It would be up to the task force to determine how far it would go. The way I read it sure does not suggest we are going to have a "wet campus" with beer on sale in the Student Union.

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                            I guess that could be taken in a number of ways. Certainly alcohol sales could be a part of it. That is going to happen in the new football stadium for those that have Suites, Loge Boxes, and Club Level Seats. Food and beverages are "included" with your tickets in those areas. So, you have access to it but it isn't "for sale" in a direct sense. My guess is that the same thing will happen when Frost is renovated. They get around it that way now so it could just as well be brought into the open.

When I read it the thing that came to mind was events like the Jackrabbit Scholarship Auction, fundraisers held at the Performing Arts Center, the facility at McRory Gardens, or any number of other events that could be held on campus where it would be beneficial to have beer and cocktails available for sale. That would be a way of attracting more business to the university's facilities that are going to other facilities such as the Swiftel Center, hotels, or similar venues. It would be up to the task force to determine how far it would go. The way I read it sure does not suggest we are going to have a "wet campus" with beer on sale in the Student Union.

SUPERBUNNY
                            You can already apply for and be granted a waiver to sell alcohol at social events on campus. When I was in school in the early 2000's I attended several social dinners that had alcohol served. I'm not sure that applies to concerts at the performing arts center just pointing out that an avenue already exists.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              You can already apply for and be granted a waiver to sell alcohol at social events on campus. When I was in school in the early 2000's I attended several social dinners that had alcohol served. I'm not sure that applies to concerts at the performing arts center just pointing out that an avenue already exists.
                              I thought so too. My wife as a student at USD during the same early 2000s working doing some catering events part time and many of them had alcohol involved on campus.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

If we are going to a controlled wet, why not 50/50 raffles? Just saying. Something tells me those drinks will not be cheap but more than likely a very healthy markup.

Comment

Working...
                                X