Renovated Frost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Renovated Frost

Good background/clarification. Thanks. I don't know how difficult it would be to remove the walled-off corners to wrap around the two northern corners. That's why renovations aren't cheap, I guess.

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
    Capacity in this configuration would be in the 6,000-6,500 range depending on the percentage of chair backs to bleacher seats. I would be difficult to exceed that without altering the roof or building footprint.

I did start from as-built plans, so to speak. To gain the full bowl effect, I removed the existing CMU walls in the north corners. The radio broadcast area is no longer used and the other side was used to house a weight room, which is obsolete with the new wellness center, indoor practice facility, etc. I believe those corners could be removed and infilled with new seating. The existing reserved seats would remain except the two ends on the upper deck, which would be demo'd to make room for new risers that align with the corner.

Here is a separate variation with the corners intact, and the line drawing of the proposed version I posted earlier: http://imgur.com/y4aEvwS

Here is a link to the images that I added on the original post: http://imgur.com/a/H6ru0
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think the most ridiculous part about the terrible sight lines is the fact that they make people pay $20 for general admission tickets when the sight lines are that bad. Fine, you can't change the seating right now, but charge $10 for people that are willing to sit on the ends.

Comment

Fortunately for me, I was able to speak with Justin Sell tonight. He attended one of my classes as a guest speaker, and I was able to pick his brain a little looking for some of the answers that we all have been looking for regarding Frost Arena. Yes, the renovation is in the plans, but it is coming sooner rather than later.

The anticipated costs of the project are to be around $30-40 million dollars. Construction costs are on the rise. Sell said that we hit a pretty good bubble with the SJAC and stadium to get cheaper construction work done. Frost will cost more relative to the amount of work to be done than the SJAC and stadium. Fortunately, the donors are in place and on board to get this done.

The plan is to keep the bowl shape. Sell really likes the packed environment. We will have all seatback chairs (No more wooden bleachers!!!!). The seating will wrap around and keep the 6,000 capacity, and on the top of the south end will be suites. The projected amount is 8-10 suites, and underneath the south end will be improved concessions and restroom amenities.

He did mention the added practice gym on the south end of Frost in place of the parking lot. However, Sell didn't specify whether this would be grouped with the renovation project or be another project altogether. I forgot to ask about the floor, (I'm still kicking myself about that and the practice gym.) but I anticipate that the floor will be redone. I have friends on the basketball team that have complained about the condition of the wood floor.

The surprise for me was the timeline. I had assumed that the plan was to build in the next 4-5 years, but Sell said we were taking the idea to the Board of Regents this fall. The construction will be a two season renovation similar to the football stadium. If all goes as planned, Sell said that the construction should begin by this time next year!

I brought up the issues with the HVAC and sight lines. The HVAC was a maintenance deal. Sell had no say in that project and really does not like the way it looks, and the HVAC system will be redone with the renovation. Sell described Frost as having "good bones." The greatest issue is the two level structure that Frost has. They are working with architects to come up with the best design and sight lines are in the equation.

If anybody has other questions on the Frost renovation or other projects, I may have answers to them after speaking with and listening to Sell. There may be some things that I forgot to include in this post.
        "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Great info Jacked4Days...how exciting is this! As always, a great day to be a Jackrabbit!
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

It seems like a true renovation of Frost should include the demolition of the south wall to expand the size of the arena and provide more room for seats and features such as the HVAC system. I'm glad the project is getting attention. Frost has been a gem, but it really needs updating.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Thanks for the info,great news! I can't ever remember walking out on the lower level on the south end. Whats there, just a hallway? Is that enough room for new concessions and restrooms? I was always told that the restrooms and concessions were to be incorporated into the new practice facility.

Comment

I believe that Sell meant that the concessions and restrooms were to go underneath the new permanent seating. It would be similar to how the restrooms and concessions are under the current permanent seating on the north end.
                "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

This is a great step for the department to be able to now convert this to a dedicated basketball "game day" arena. I would love to see the practice facility added at the same time to allow even more effort to be put into best possible seating solution (ie site lines, etc) for the main court and it seems to me that removing the practice courts from Frost is the best way to do that.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Some times I wonder if we should not start over and build to fit the current times.

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                      This is a great step for the department to be able to now convert this to a dedicated basketball "game day" arena. I would love to see the practice facility added at the same time to allow even more effort to be put into best possible seating solution (ie site lines, etc) for the main court and it seems to me that removing the practice courts from Frost is the best way to do that.
                      I have been saying for years that the barn needs to be renovated and turned into a basketball only maybe volleyball practice facility. gut it out, put in new court and baskets, have rooms for meetings and film break down, weight room for just the teams and lockerroooms and study rooms. just a problem with what do to with whats allready using the barn. I think that renovated could be a huge draw for recruits just like the new sjac and stadium are for football. having a historical venue to SDSU with enough modern updates would be legit.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Some times I wonder if we should not start over and build to fit the current times.
                        Whats a new arena cost compared to renovating? I dont know myself but wonder that too. I am sure $ is the deciding factor in all of that.....says capt obvious.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Whats a new arena cost compared to renovating? I dont know myself but wonder that too. I am sure $ is the deciding factor in all of that.....says capt obvious.
                          I would guess that since Sell said that Frost has "good bones" that it is still in good structural condition. I'm guessing that by keeping the shell in place you would save a lot of money over completely starting over as the steel, roofing and exterior masonry alone for a building that size would be a good chuck of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            I would guess that since Sell said that Frost has "good bones" that it is still in good structural condition. I'm guessing that by keeping the shell in place you would save a lot of money over completely starting over as the steel, roofing and exterior masonry alone for a building that size would be a good chuck of cash.
                            This is what pulls me back to earth, I also realize that there are many empty seats and until we have standing room only for every home game, we really don't need a bigger and better facility.

Comment

Probably easily looking at another $10-15 million to build new and much more if you want all the bells and whistles.

Comment

This is what pulls me back to earth, I also realize that there are many empty seats and until we have standing room only for every home game, we really don't need a bigger and better facility.
                                I disagree with the not needing a better facility part of your statement. I think that if the current bleachers are changed to chairback seats , that the number of empty seats would decrease greatly. I'm sure there are a number of fans who don't want to/can't deal with the bleachers and the difficulty in accessing them.

Comment

Working...
                                X