X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where are the Recruits?

Originally posted by 89rabbit

NCCfanattic,

I hate to prove you wrong again . . . .ok that is not true I love to prove USD fans wrong, the only problem is it is to easy.   ;D

I provided you with the names of three schools that made the NCAA "Big Dance" with players of 6'10" and taller.  I provided you the links to those schools web sites.  For review we are talking about UNI with 2 kids at 6'10" or taller, Eastern Washington with 2 kids at 6'10" or taller, and Valpo with 1 kid at 6'10" or taller.  SDSU has 1 kid 6'10" or taller.  Now I guess I am going to have to bottle feed you some more and show you why your theory on what SDSU needs is all wet.

2003/2004 Statistical Comparison:

Smith  24 games, 10.5 Min Avg.,
    3.4 pts Avg., 2.3 rebound Avg.

I don't know how this pertains to the argument at hand, but the aforementioned Greg Smith played his freshman year at NDSU.  I think he started quite a few games for a pretty bad Bison team, but was really a non-factor.  I don't know if you can say being a non-factor for a DII team is comparable to being a non-factor for a DI team means the caliber of players are similar or not though.

Comment

I am not sure if this conversation is still going or not. I dont belive that height has too much to do with a team. It doesnt really matter if you do or you dont have a kid that is 6'10 or taller. Just because SDSU is going to Div 1 doesnt mean that we have to find all sorts of height do we? If we can find guys that are 6'6" to 6'8" that can jump reall well and are pretty strong, I think that players like this can hang with most centers that we will face. Would you not agree that athleticism means more that just plain height.

Even if the Jacks had a 6'6" center (Matt Jones) they would still be OK just because he is so athletic.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit_Fan
        I am not sure if this conversation is still going or not.  I dont belive that height has too much to do with a team.  It doesnt really matter if you do or you dont have a kid that is 6'10 or taller.  Just because SDSU is going to Div 1 doesnt mean that we have to find all sorts of height do we?  If we can find guys that are 6'6" to 6'8" that can jump reall well and are pretty strong, I think that players like this can hang with most centers that we will face.  Would you not agree that athleticism means more that just plain height.  

Even if the Jacks had a 6'6" center (Matt Jones) they would still be OK just because he is so athletic.
        Not disagreeing with your logic but bringing a different view-point. Right now we don't know Matt's status. Will he be 100%, less than that or not available at all is still not clear. Given that uncertaintly and the lack of a player with similar attributes (there are so few) I think a big man with some ability could be the difference for this team.

Gaurd play is a huge factor in DI and an inside presence only improves the situation in the backcourt. DeJong cannot compete at the DII level much less at DI. Beran is good and will get better but he needs someone to "bang" with the opponents big men to spare him some energy. Sounds like Loney (6'5" 220 plus) can provide some muscle but I don't think its enough.

I agree, no arbitrary height is necessary but a "big" man who can hold down the 5 spot is a definite need/want for this team. Beran, Loney, Jones, etc.. are all better suited in the 4-spot with limited time as the primary post players. I hope Nagy has someone in the pipeline.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am not sure what to think about Loney, I heard he is a post player, but how are we supposed to know how good he is. 6'5" is a little small for a true back to the basket type player, but maybe he is an unathletic type Charles Barkley, who can start out about 15 feet and then back a guy down. If Beran works on his skills over the summer, he works hard enough to where he could have a big impact in the post.

I also hope that the coaching staff has something up there sleeve to improve the team...but who knows if it needs to be a big post player.

A couple of years ago, we had Matt Jones and Andy Cone for post players, and we had a pretty good season. Those two are the biggest guys I have ever watched, but they were athletic, and hard to score on it seemed.

Comment

We all remember a guy named Mark Tetzlaff - What was he 6'6" ?? He could play the post pretty well ;D
            It seems like in todays D1 game that many teams have gone to a smaller lineup that are really athletic-in the 6-4 to 6-8 range. Although,UConn proved this year that a big dominate center (Okafor) can be a pretty nice asset to have. If Matt Jones is 100% he would be a great post just because he plays so much bigger that he really is.

Comment

I think Mark Tetzlaff was/is 6-7 or close to 6-8...I see Mark from time to time: I'll ask him to hold still for a measurement! He was one heck of a player!

Comment

Point being, whether it was Tetzlaff, Jones, Cone, Beran, or Green...there really isnt a need for a 6'10" kid inside. A team can do great without a 6-10 or 6-11 kid. Even Okafor was only 6-8, he was just extremely athletic and skilled, State probably wont get a player that athletic, but a comparable player to our level would work great.

Whatever kind of player we get, I am sure Nagy can mold him into a great player.

Comment

Is anyone else concerned about the basketball recruiting thus far? I like the players we've already gotten, but it doesn't seem like much compared to NDSU's list. All of there players are listed on theinsiders.com, while none of our players are. I hope Nagy has some teammaker players coming in to replace what we've lost from last season, otherwise I'm going to have a tough time sitting through the games :-/.

Comment

Are we supposed to judge our team based on who is listed on some website? I dont believe that our success, or NDSU's success will be determined by who is listed on theinsiders.com. I dont think that any of the players that they have signed are any "big-time" recruits, and just because their name is listed on some website doesnt declare that they are "big-time."
                    That probably just means that the coaching staff at NDSU or some Bison fan wrote an email saying that these kids had committed. I dont think that is SDSU's style, we dont need to declare that we signed three great recruits to some website. But that is just the opinion of some lowly fan of the rabbits.
                    Have some faith rabbitsbball!!!
                    Looks like we have some great basketball players coming to Brookings next year. Dont get too upset and not support the Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitsbball
                      Is anyone else concerned about the basketball recruiting thus far?  I like the players we've already gotten, but it doesn't seem like much compared to NDSU's list.  All of there players are listed on theinsiders.com, while none of our players are.  I hope Nagy has some teammaker players coming in to replace what we've lost from last season, otherwise I'm going to have a tough time sitting through the games :-/.
                      Another post by someone with an SDSU sounding name that doesn't bother to register. Someone is trying to have fun with us.

Comment

Scott Nagy is an outstanding basketball coach with a fantastic record. Over the years I've heard so many "experts" second guess him about his recruiting classes. I think he knows what he is doing.

Comment

So you mean to tell me that we arent the experts in basketball????

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                            Scott Nagy is an outstanding basketball coach with a fantastic record.  Over the years I've heard so many "experts" second guess him about his recruiting classes.  I think he knows what he is doing.
                            Now that you mention it, I think there's maybe one chink in Nagy's overall excellent record.

(clearing throat)

He hasn't won The Big One.

(Hey, go talk to Roy Williams!)

BTW I agree that Nagy has done a superb job in the past two years recruiting D-I caliber talent into a very, very uncertain situation.

But darnit, Scott, bring in a D-I big man!!!!
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Everyone in America is looking for a big man. We've had plenty of big men on our roster in past years (Luke Smith) who had size but nothing else. All the above average post players have a bunch of scholarship offers in front of them. I'm not making an excuse, that's reality.

There is a "new" reality involved in moving to DI. Many times, especially during he summer months, DI athletes transfer to the DII ranks. SDSU and many other institutions within DII have benefitted from these transfers. The 2004 national champion had a host of DI transfers. Rarely do you see DI transfers to other DI programs. Plus, you rarely see a DII athlete move to DI.

I just believe that Nagy is being patient with the recruiting process knowing that if he offers a scholarship it will be a good investment for 2-4 years. Unlike other schools, SDSU isn't in the habit of yanking a scholarship if an athlete doesn't perform at a hoped for level. Oftentimes there are other issues when a scholarship is reduced.

Again, I understand the critical need for a post player, I just want that person to be the right post player.

Comment

Alum Guy is correct on all points.

Not only are Nagy and Larson required to show up for Alumni Golf outings across the state, they also spend a great deal of time during the spring and summer attending what I call recruiting tournaments such as the Nike one in Las Vegas. Coaches seem to be relying more and more on the AAU and all star high school events to get good looks at good athletes.

Several years ago, I attended the Nike tourney in Las Vegas just by accident as I had other business to attend to. I knew that the tourney was on and decided to use some time take in a few games. I saw a number of big name coaches and probably a number of d2 coaches sitting in the bleachers watching teams in action. Coach Beheim of Sycracuse U was one of them that sat close to me. His large staff did not make any notes and did not do any grab assing amonst themselves, but were totally focused on what was going on on the basketball court. My guess is that when they all got to a private room where they could talk, they did and then they took notes and probably started talking to athletes.

Coach Nagy and Larson will find us good recruits, and there are no deadlines after July or what ever. If the athlete enrolls in school, that is all that it takes. I for one am not worried about our recruiting.

Comment

Working...
                                X