D I opponents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D I opponents

I WANNA SEE NEXT YEAR'S SCHEDULE!!! (Waaaahhh!!)

Seriously, WAC basketball as represented by Nevada is pretty good. Nevada stood toe-to-toe with the ACC's Georgia Tech last night. Beating Fresno and Butler will both be tall orders next year, but you can't beat them if you don't play them.

I'd guess we (or at least the SDSU admin) will have a pretty good idea about what our schedule will look like after they get back from the Final Four and the NABC Convention in San Antonio.

Go Rabbits!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

One more thought...I'd expect to see Illinois-Chicago on the schedule somewhere in the next couple of years.  Scott Nagy's dad Richard (actually #ick, but the board converts it to "thingy&quot is an assistant coach at UIC.

What other connections between our coaches and D-I schools do we know about?
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        One more thought...I'd expect to see Illinois-Chicago on the schedule somewhere in the next couple of years.  Scott Nagy's dad Richard (actually #ick, but the board converts it to "thingy&quot is an assistant coach at UIC.

What other connections between our coaches and D-I schools do we know about?
        Richard Nagy apparently retired as here is the current coaching staff at Chicago

Coaching Staff

Jimmy Collins - Head Coach
        Mark Coomes - Associate Head Coach
        Dave Donnelly - Assistant Coach
        Lynn Mitchem - Assistant Coach

Jimmy Collins was the no 1 assistant to Lew Henson when Scott was a grad assistant at Champaign. I would think Jimmy Collins would give Scott a game now that we are going D1.  So even if Dad has retired, I think we will see the Flames on our schedule.

Interesting that IU-Chicago won the Horizon League tournament and got beat the first round of the big dance.

I would expect a number of Mid Continent and Horizon teams on our schedule. I believe a home and home with Tennessee State has been firmed up.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

Richard Nagy apparently retired as here is the current coaching staff at Chicago

Coaching Staff

Jimmy Collins - Head Coach
          Mark Coomes - Associate Head Coach
          Dave Donnelly - Assistant Coach
          Lynn Mitchem - Assistant Coach

Jimmy Collins was the no 1 assistant to Lew Henson when Scott was a grad assistant at Champaign. I would think Jimmy Collins would give Scott a game now that we are going D1.  So even if Dad has retired, I think we will see the Flames on our schedule.

Interesting that IU-Chicago won the Horizon League tournament and got beat the first round of the big dance.

I would expect a number of Mid Continent and Horizon teams on our schedule.  I believe a home and home with Tennessee State has been firmed up.
          Well, ain't that interesting...Dad was on the UIC web site this morning when I looked...
          http://www.uic.edu/depts/sports/BBall/MBB/MBBindex.html

Ah, I see...they're another college that's gone to OCSN:

http://uicflames.ocsn.com/sports/m-b...skbl-body.html

Looks like Dad's the color guy on UIC radio games now!
          http://www.am1000.com/uic.asp
          (behold the Power of Google!)

Good for him!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Do you think we will see St. Louis University on the schedule. Brad Soderberg, Nagy's predecessor is the head coach there now. St. Louis is in Conference USA but moving to the A-10 in either 04 or 05. They usually make it to the NCAA'a or the NIT.

Comment

I have not heard anything reguarding St Louis being on the schedule.  I know we played them in the early 1960's at their house and got slaughtered.  I sure Brad Soderberg would give us a game especially since we are in D1 transition. Brad left SDSU with good feelings about SDSU so St Louis seems like a very good possibility.

There is so much going on behind the scences now and until a contract is signed with the opponent, its kind of a secret.  So trying to figure out next years schedule is next to impossible, but I am sure we will soon find out.

Comment

The D1 schools that have been "confirmed" seem to be Fresno St., Butler, and sounds like Tennessee St. There are probably more that are done deals- just not announced. I'll do some speculating on some others. This is from a fans prespective-no inside info. here. I would assume we will have a home/home with NDSU and N. Colorado. I'm sure we will get some Mid Con games. S. Utah, UMKC, UIC, Chicago St. would be good regional games. I would also expect a couple of Big Sky schools. I have a feiling that a visit to Texas would be likely to play the 2 independants here Texas-Corpus Christi and Texas-Pan Am. and maybe a couple others. We would also likely try to schedule N. Iowa, Iowa St. or maybe even Iowa, or other close Big 10 schools Minnesota or Wisconsin. and probably a trip or two to California. Our home schedule will probably have a lot of the D2 schools weve seen in the past, Augie, Northern St. etc... Next year is D1 purgatory for us. We dont count toward RPI in the first year. 2005 should be outstanding with mostly D1 schools on the road and in Frost arena.

Comment

Our schedules so far...

mbb
                  11/20 at Butler, Indianapolis, IN
                  12/3-4 at Fresno State Tournament, Fresno, CA
                  Probably on schedule: Tennessee State

wbb
                  2/18 Upper Iowa, Frost Arena (from Upper Iowa web site)
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good basketball schedule so far.

Playing Fresno State in their in-season tournament will help the Jackrabbits in the long run.

Hope SDSU plays Wyoming in basketball soon. Somehow I have a feeling there'll be lots of Rabbit fans at the AA in Laramie, Wyoming if and when that game will happen.

SDSU will probably play as an Independent for the first season (i.e., 2004-05) then join a conference. My guess either the Mid-Continent or the Big Sky.

As a fan of a Division I school, welcome to the big time boys.

Comment

I too am hoping to see Wyoming on our schedule. I would think the Wyoming-SDSU basketball programs would be natural rivals. WYO. NDSU and SDSU all are very similar in size, programs offered, and geographically well suited for the start of a good rivalry.
                      Bring on the Pokes!! ;D

GO STATE

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                        I too am hoping to see Wyoming on our schedule. I would think the Wyoming-SDSU basketball programs would be natural rivals. WYO. NDSU and SDSU all are very similar in size, programs offered, and geographically well suited for the start of a good  rivalry.
                        Bring on the Pokes!! ;D

GO STATE
                        Also, Wyoming's AD is an NDSU grad. He was the backup QB in the 80's to some guy named Bentrim.

Comment

Looks like one of our future opponents signed a couple of guards today. Not sure about their academic background.

Bulldogs sign guard tandem

Massachusetts prep schoolers will help relieve backcourt crisis.

By David White
                          The Fresno Bee

It didn't take long for the Fresno State men's basketball team to take advantage of loosened scholarship rules.

One week after the NCAA's 5/8 rule was repealed, Fresno State used two of three newly available scholarships to net verbal agreements from guards Dominique White and Donovan Morris, both of The Winchendon School in Massachusetts, their coach Michael Byrnes confirmed Thursday.

College coaches are not allowed to discuss recruits until a signed national letter-of-intent has been received.

Fresno State was in dire need of guards with only two on the 2004-05 roster -- incoming freshman Dwight O'Neil of Washington High and returning senior Marcus West.

White is a 5-foot-11, 185-pound senior point guard from Illinois. Morris is a shooting guard who graduated from Cajon High in San Bernardino in 2002. In March, they led Winchendon to the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council's Class-A title.

The school's Web site describes itself as a college preparatory school for "students with good ability who may not have reached their academic ability."

Fresno State coach Ray Lopes still has one scholarship to offer.

The 5/8 restriction, which was repealed last Thursday, allowed five scholarships to be given in one academic year and eight over two years.

Because of player defections and NCAA sanctions, the Bulldogs would have been limited to only nine scholarship players next season instead of the maximum-allowable 13. Instead, Fresno State can carry 12 scholarship players next season.

The reporter can be reached at dwhite@fresnobee.com or (559) 441-6617.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It sure is a lot more fun talking about Fresno State, and how what they are doing is going to effect our game next year, then talking about Presentation College.  Don't you think?

Go State, D-I baby!  ;D

Comment

My thoughts exactly rabbit.... What happens at Fresno St. now impacts us. Very nice...

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                                Looks like one of our future opponents signed a couple of guards today.  Not sure about their academic background.

Bulldogs sign guard tandem

Massachusetts prep schoolers will help relieve backcourt crisis.

By David White
                                The Fresno Bee

It didn't take long for the Fresno State men's basketball team to take advantage of loosened scholarship rules.

One week after the NCAA's 5/8 rule was repealed, Fresno State used two of three newly available scholarships to net verbal agreements from guards Dominique White and Donovan Morris, both of The Winchendon School in Massachusetts, their coach Michael Byrnes confirmed Thursday.

College coaches are not allowed to discuss recruits until a signed national letter-of-intent has been received.

Fresno State was in dire need of guards with only two on the 2004-05 roster -- incoming freshman Dwight O'Neil of Washington High and returning senior Marcus West.

White is a 5-foot-11, 185-pound senior point guard from Illinois. Morris is a shooting guard who graduated from Cajon High in San Bernardino in 2002. In March, they led Winchendon to the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council's Class-A title.

The school's Web site describes itself as a college preparatory school for "students with good ability who may not have reached their academic ability."

Fresno State coach Ray Lopes still has one scholarship to offer.

The 5/8 restriction, which was repealed last Thursday, allowed five scholarships to be given in one academic year and eight over two years.

Because of player defections and NCAA sanctions, the Bulldogs would have been limited to only nine scholarship players next season instead of the maximum-allowable 13. Instead, Fresno State can carry 12 scholarship players next season.

The reporter can be reached at dwhite@fresnobee.com or (559) 441-6617.

Here is a link to the Fresno State Board, in case you want to see what the Bulldogs are talking about. Right now the football stuff and WAC expansion are more interesting then hoops, but that will change. Can't wait to take on the Bulldogs! ;D

http://mb1.theinsiders.com/bfresnostate

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X