Summit League Tiebreaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League Tiebreaker

Are the standings on the Summit League website correct? If the Rabbits and IPFW win out is IPFW the #2 seed? I can't find a tiebreaker formula anywhere. I assume head to head is the first tiebreaker (split) - but then what? I know I'm putting the cart in front of the horse and the Rabbits have work to do this week. Just curious.

GO RABBITS!

Re: Summit League Tiebreaker

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
    Are the standings on the Summit League website correct? If the Rabbits and IPFW win out is IPFW the #2 seed? I can't find a tiebreaker formula anywhere. I assume head to head is the first tiebreaker (split) - but then what? I know I'm putting the cart in front of the horse and the Rabbits have work to do this week. Just curious.

GO RABBITS!
    They compare each teams record to the other league members starting at the top. So IPFW's win over NDSU would give them the tie breaker over us.
    Last edited by MontanaRabbit; 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post

GO RABBITS!
      Yes. A Jackrabbit win on Thursday night ensures them of at least a 3 seed playing Western Illinois. However, we're gonna need some help from Omaha or WIU to beat IPFW so that the Jacks can get the 2 seed. 2 seed is more desirable due to the fact you get Sunday off and are playing IUPUI.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        They compare each teams record to the other league members starting at the top. So IPFW's win over NDSU would give them the tie breaker or us.
        Thanks!

Comment

Here is the official policy:

Tiebreaker Procedures
          Tiebreaker procedures shall be used ONLY to determine seeds for the League tournament. Regular season standings shall stand.

If there are multiple ties, the ties shall be broken in descending order. (i.e., a tie at the #1 position will be broken before any others).
          Once a tie is broken using the procedures below, it shall remain broken for purposes of all future comparisons.
          Two-team Tiebreaking Criteria. The following criteria should be applied (in order) to break ties between two teams:

Results of head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
          Comparison of each tied team's record against the team occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
          When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group's own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
          If a tie still cannot be broken after applying criteria (1), (2) and (3), it will be broken by comparing each tied team's RPI (based upon the RPIratings.com Report issued on the morning following the last regular season League game).
          Results of each tied team's collective record against the other teams tied for the same position.
          If multiple ties still remain, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team or group (if 2 or more are tied) occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
          If the above results in two teams remaining, the two-team tiebreaker is used.
          If a tie involving three or more teams still cannot be broken after applying criteria (1) and (2), it will be broken by comparing each tied team's RPI (based upon the RPIratings.com Report issued on the morning following the last regular season League game.)
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
          X