Hypothetical Annual BBall Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical Annual BBall Game

This is my first post here at SDSUfans, so I thought I'd start off with a curiosity based question for the posters here. I apologize if this has been discussed before. To begin with, I'll state that I am a SDSU student, and that I have also asked this question on the cowboys forum, WyoNation. Responses there ranged from genuine interest, some interest, and your usual BS of "We have nothing to gain, etc." So here's the question:

If there were to be an annual game in Rapid City, SD against Wyoming, A) Would you as a fan have interest in this matchup? B) Would you as a fan travel and pay to watch this game more years than not? C) Do you think that the Jacks would have good fan support at the game in general (2000-4000 Jack fans at the game being very good attendance)?

I ask because I am a student at SDSU and this is an idea I've had for a while and I am curious if Jacks fans would see any interest in an annual matchup of this kind. These are the specifications that seemed to be the only way this could ever happen:
    1) Play the game before Christmas, but after finals are over for each school. This would allow for students who live in the areas surrounding to be that much closer to the game, in addition to k-12 schools also being on break.
    2) Create a trophy for the game, to hopefully create more interest and fan support.
    3) Play the game in the Rushmore civic plaza (capacity 10,000).
    4) Try to get a national carrier such as Fox College Sports or ESPNU to carry the game. This is unlikely to happen, especially in the first few years, but it could be a possibility. If it were played at the right date, no bowl games would be competing for tv time. This probably wouldn't happen, but they've certainly televised less intriguing matchups in December.

The idea behind this thought is that the area around Rapid does not have a natural fan base built into it. If people care about college athletics in that area, it tends to be about BHSU or SDSMT. That being said, there are many Western SD students at SDSU (from what I've heard, many more than USD), and most of them live within 1 hour of Rapid. Then of course, there are obviously towns such as Casper, Sheridan, and Gillette that have UW ties.

Both universities share many similarities in size, academic scope, and contributions to both states as land grant universities. Both are roughly the same distance from Rapid city too, and both have alumni all over each state. As far as basketball goes, in recent history, I see no reason why SDSU would be looked at as a "down" game.

I realize something like this is probably not going to happen, but it certainly won't ever happen if there is no interest in it. So I'll ask my question again: From the perspective of a Jackrabbit fan, what is the interest level in an annual "rivalry" game with Wyoming played in Rapid City every December?

Re: Hypothetical Annual BBall Game

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    This is my first post here at SDSUfans, so I thought I'd start off with a curiosity based question for the posters here. I apologize if this has been discussed before. To begin with, I'll state that I am a SDSU student, and that I have also asked this question on the cowboys forum, WyoNation. Responses there ranged from genuine interest, some interest, and your usual BS of "We have nothing to gain, etc." So here's the question:

If there were to be an annual game in Rapid City, SD against Wyoming, A) Would you as a fan have interest in this matchup? B) Would you as a fan travel and pay to watch this game more years than not? C) Do you think that the Jacks would have good fan support at the game in general (2000-4000 Jack fans at the game being very good attendance)?

I ask because I am a student at SDSU and this is an idea I've had for a while and I am curious if Jacks fans would see any interest in an annual matchup of this kind. These are the specifications that seemed to be the only way this could ever happen:
    1) Play the game before Christmas, but after finals are over for each school. This would allow for students who live in the areas surrounding to be that much closer to the game, in addition to k-12 schools also being on break.
    2) Create a trophy for the game, to hopefully create more interest and fan support.
    3) Play the game in the Rushmore civic plaza (capacity 10,000).
    4) Try to get a national carrier such as Fox College Sports or ESPNU to carry the game. This is unlikely to happen, especially in the first few years, but it could be a possibility. If it were played at the right date, no bowl games would be competing for tv time. This probably wouldn't happen, but they've certainly televised less intriguing matchups in December.

The idea behind this thought is that the area around Rapid does not have a natural fan base built into it. If people care about college athletics in that area, it tends to be about BHSU or SDSMT. That being said, there are many Western SD students at SDSU (from what I've heard, many more than USD), and most of them live within 1 hour of Rapid. Then of course, there are obviously towns such as Casper, Sheridan, and Gillette that have UW ties.

Both universities share many similarities in size, academic scope, and contributions to both states as land grant universities. Both are roughly the same distance from Rapid city too, and both have alumni all over each state. As far as basketball goes, in recent history, I see no reason why SDSU would be looked at as a "down" game.

I realize something like this is probably not going to happen, but it certainly won't ever happen if there is no interest in it. So I'll ask my question again: From the perspective of a Jackrabbit fan, what is the interest level in an annual "rivalry" game with Wyoming played in Rapid City every December?
    I would love to see the Jacks play in Rapid. It's a haul from Billings to Brookings, but only 4 hours to Rapid.

Comment

Welcome to the board, Mr. Tibbs. Speaking for myself, an annual SDSU game in Rapid City would be nice. ... I should also point out that the last time the SDSU men played Wyoming (2009-2010 season in Laramie) the Jacks won 77-61. So, no, Wyoming definitely should not look at SDSU as a "down game." I'm sure the Cowboys would be welcome to play in Brookings, too.
      This space for lease.

Comment

It would be great for the SDSU fans/alum that live in the hills' area, but other than that I don't see a plus. I just don't see many people on this side of the state driving clear over to Rapid for a game.

I also doubt you'd get FCS or ESPNU to pick the game up. Maybe ESPN3 (unlikely). Also, our home OOC schedule is already pretty weak, so to taking a game from Frost wouldn't help that at all.

I just don't think one annual game of Wyo vs. SDSU would do much to grow the SDSU fanbase west river.

Overall I think it would be a negative for SDSU.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I was a proponent of this kind of annual game before SDSU made it's back-to-back NCAA appearances.

But now I'm more 'meh' about it, because the SDSU program is much more established now than it was.

With Denver in the Summit now you might get Root Sports to carry it regionally. But I think you'd have to see the Rapid City community really get behind it and push hard to make it worthwhile for SDSU.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't know how instructive it may be but here's USD's experience: This season USD played Wyoming in Laramie and in Rapid City. USD lost 70-53 at Wyoming but took the 'Pokes to overtime in Rapid with Wyoming winning 67-66. I just checked the box score and attendance for the game in Rapid was 3356. I watched part of the game on TV and it was entertaining and I think those in attendance enjoyed it (does that mean that a larger crowd may show up if done again next season? -- I don't know). Overall I think the USD game was considered a success.

Comment

Had a similar thought about the Rapid market last week. Whether you sent me a brain wave, I'd forgotten about the USD game, or just an aging brain fart, I don't know.

As an option, here's another one which I came up with at the same time.:

Have Mines leave the GNAC and drop football. They could join the Summit, make use of Rushmore Center improvements, get Jan/Feb and home games (something they're not getting as a D2 independent), and still save money. Moving a football team around the GNAC would have to be a real money pit. The enrollment would be pathetic but within a thousand or so of ORU, and the academics should be a lot better than that Bible school.

Rapid City could match with Denver as a travel partner, leaving Tulsa and Macomb as the only trip from hell.

Comment

It would need to be a game for the Hills rather than SDSU or Wyoming. Also, it would not want to be any tradeoff like the yotes did for a game in Laramie. I would have no problem with a neutral site game for both teams. I would prefer a home and home. Although I live close to Frost. There should not be a trade for a Rapid game in return for a Laramie game. We could always go to Stanford for a beatdown rather than Wyoming for a game in Rapid.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I would like to see this a semi-annual event. I would travel out their for the games. I great excuse to spend a weekend in the hills.
                  We...ARE...STATE!
                  SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I'd rather not have a game taken away from Frost. They could play an exhibition game before the season starts against BHSU or SDSMT in rapid. I would think attendance for that would be pretty high for that.

Comment

I'm not averse to playing Wyoming, but I guess I'd rather have them come to Frost.

There aren't that many out of conference home games anyway, because no one wants to come to Brookings to play a tough mid-major.

The school's "Brand" is good enough as it is. That's just my .02

Comment

I think our West River following has increased with the trips to the Big Dance. A game like this might be one that helped USD, but I don't think it will work for SDSU. If you don't make some dough on it, its not really worth while. If you want to do this annually then we need some big rancher to step forward as a corporate sponsor or someone with a good business who has ties to SDSU. It seems like a nice idea, but could prove to be expensive. I would like our chances of taking care of Wyoming in Frost over that of Rapid.

Comment

I think it is pathetic that fans would rather watch DSU at Frost instead of a real opponent in Sioux Falls or Rapid City.

Would you play Wyoming in Rapid City? Nope, a neutral site didn't work when we played Manhattan in Sioux Falls. Plus, we would lose a home game. Plus, if they want to play us, they can show up in Brookings just like nobody from their conference ever has.*

Get real people.

*OK, Nevada came once in a home/home that was setup after a season where we won 13 games.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Wyoming is not just going to "come to Frost." In fact, probably no division 1 team is going to just "come to Frost." The best case scenario we ever have for a non-conference home game is a home-home for a team that cant find people to play them. It sucks but that is the reality of mid-major college basketball, especially in Brookings, SD. I think our athletic department has proven they aren't going to just pay someone to come play at Frost, and rightfully so. How many people showed up to our decent non conference games against Montana and Belmont(who just beat North Carolina)? I was at both those games and the top side bleachers weren't even pulled out and the sides not even close to full. It takes an investment from the fan base to get decent non conference home games. I personally like this idea if Wyoming would be interested. I think it helps establish SDSU as a team the whole state should get behind not just East river people around Brookings and Sioux Falls. I would think Rapid City would be all for it and invest in it with the game bringing in a fair number of out of town people to stay the night/weekend for the game. Im sure it would take a lot of things to fall into place for something like this to work, but I personally like it.

Comment

I think SDSU could get some good mid-majors and maybe some lower power 6 conference teams to play games at the Pentagon. I'm just against SDSU playing a regular season game in Rapid but all for it if its a exhibition game during the season or before the season starts.

Comment

Working...
                              X