Why not form a new conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why not form a new conference

An "unofficial" alliance would definitely be better. No autobid for a new conference and I doubt a little time on ESPN (have a hard time believing they would show a conference championship game when there is no chance for postseason) would be worth it. By the way, Mike H., I've never listened to your show but whether the SDSU guys will admit it or not, it takes a pretty big man to use his real name on this board given your stance against the move and your status as a local radio personality.

Comment

Thanks, NDSU grad. I think there are a lot of folks that would argue over the "personality" part of your statement!

I've used my real name on the radio for so long there is no point hiding behind a fake name on a board.

Comment

Mike,
        I didn't say what you said was gospel, but there are a number of FES'ers in the area that will hear it on the radio and interpret it that way to supplement their own thoughts on the subject. Like I said, i actually appreciate your show and when i am traveling the great state of south dakota during the fall for work i tune in regularly. I must be one of the three that do
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

1979: I appreciate the fact that you listen. When it comes to our opinions, I think it is a bit of a "chicken or egg" discussion. I hear from all sorts of State fans and alumni that are against the move, as well as those that are for the move. Unfortunatly, it seems the ones that are against the move get shouted down by the others. Those against are labeled as "not true State fans", or "FES'ers" or "people who lack vision" or some other ridiculous statement. The fact is, they feel left out or pushed out of the process. Just because they don't think this is a good idea does not mean that they care less for State than the people that are for it or that they must be USD or Augie fans or any of the other phrases the people that are for the move use to dismiss the people that are against it.

With that said, and back to the original point, what we do is provide those people a voice. As you can tell by now, I have no emotional or professional stake in this. It won't effect the coverage we give State one way or the other. It won't effect my family. As you can also tell by now, I don't mind getting into a little debate about this, or any other issue, and letting you know who I am when I do. There are folks that are not in the same position. They tell me things they are thinking. Do they do it because they think I am against the move? Probably. The same way folks who are in favor of the move tell me things to try to get me to "start thinking straight"

Spending time with people that only look like you, act like you, and think like you is a very narrow way to go thru life, and I prefer to not live that way. I think it is also one of the reasons we have become a society that is very quick to attach a label to a person. It is also amazing how many times that label does not fit.

Comment

I think the time for debate is over. The decision to move our athletics programs to D-I is more then a year old. South Dakota State University IS a D-I school. Our first NCAA D-I competition will take place in less then 25 days. The Women’s Soccer team will literally kick off our first season at our new level on Aug. 27th when they take on the Panthers of the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee.

The word Fan is derived from the word fanatic. When used as an adjective the definition is fanatic - marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to (in this case SDSU). So I do understand how someone could be a fan of SDSU and be upset by our move to D-I. I say to any that feel this way. Please let us know your concerns, let us help you understand why this is a good move not only for the University but also for the State as a whole. Give us your reasoning as to why you are troubled by the direction that the University has taken and we will offer hope so that you can once again fully support with excessive enthusiasm and intense devotion that which you love.

I think where people on this board tend to get a little upset is when folks who are not fans of SDSU, who do not have the best interests of our fine institution at heart, who even mock us come to the board to take pot shoots at us. Since we are in that political time of year I will offer up an analogy that may help explain my point. Be you a Democrat or Republican when the primary races are over one would hope that the Party unites behind its chosen candidate. Some years it is tougher then other, I understand that. The same is true about SDSU’s decision to move our Athletics program to the D-I level. The decision has been made (the primaries are over) and the first season of D-I is upon us (the general election is here). It is time for all good Jackrabbit fans to rally to the cause. We are South Dakota State University and we need your support.

For those who can not give that support right now I encourage you to stay open minded and let us help you. Time will heal old wounds and when you are ready we will be waiting to except you back into the fold. If on the other hand you are not a fan and have come on the board to attack that which we hold dear, please be forewarned that your assertions will be met with enthusiasm and intense devotion, because this is a SDSU fan board.

Go South Dakota State University! ;D

Comment

89rabbit: Outstanding post, and a great analogy!

I agree the debate is over. Remember, I was invited to this board to discuss the issue. As you may know , I was tired of this discussion a few months ago because we had dedicated so much time to it in the previous year. It is good to read the different ideas and level of dedication that I have read on this board. But it is also good for you folks to know that there are people that still have questions. Your post gives them a great invitation to find out more. This is a brand new world for everyone, and while you may not be able to tell it from some of my posts, I really do hope this works out!

I will start a new paragraph here so posters can just highlight that previous part when they flame me!

I will continue to chime in every now and then. As I said on the air the other day, it is easy to see how posting on a board can become an obsession. I also appreciate the folks that have sent me private messages and emails. It is very interesting and informative! Feel free to continue to do so.

Comment

Mike,

I love having you on our board!  You and I have exchanged e-mails a time or two and I have even been a caller on your show.  I am sure you know who I am, I am truly glad you are here.  I also meant every word I typed.  I would love the opportunity to be in contact with any Jackrabbit fan who might have questions or concerns.  That is why I spend so much time on the board.  I am not only a fan, but also a “true believer” in our move to D-I.  I feel in my heart of hearts, that if given enough time I can help people understand why our move to D-I is great for SDSU and South Dakota!

Go State!  ;D  

Comment

Working...
                X