• Re: GDT: Jacks vs. Coyotes

Per a Bisonville post, they lose by 4

Comment

Denver wins by 4 - Bison missed two shots to tie with 5 seconds left

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Kasperbauer scored 14 on us last year (I think that's right). Looks like his role will be the shooter. He seemed to disappear for a few games but now is seeing some playing time again.

I think James has earned the nod for head coach. The USD administration has a known quantity. He's made USD a scarey team in the Summit this year.
          I am sure the final decision is Jim Abbott's to make. A friend at coffee seemed to be of an opinion that if he did not beat State at least once, he would be out. This was also discussed on The Argus with our friend Stu Whitney brouching the topic. Some guy named Fred keep telling them through Q & A that there were no D1 candidates for the job. It could have been Fred Oien giving them a bad time, but I doubt it. My inclinations are that Joey like you said has earned the job by making the Yotes a scary team, and they are.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            I'm going to try to pull a "still" picture off the DVR replay of Gruis and Dykstra face-to-face. Then we can have a "make your own caption" contest.
            See the Smack section for the "Write your caption" thread.

Comment

Exciting game to be there. Rebounding was a great big part of win. One and done for Yotes.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

How about Heemstra tonight? Rebounding, defending like crazy, bringing some fire, and hitting several big shots. What a performance when we needed it so badly.

I was impressed with the couple big shots Bittle hit late in the game as well (he nailed those final high-pressure FT too). His offensive game had vanished over the last month but tonight it showed up just in time.

That was an entertaining game. Their student section brought some energy and we were all on the edge of our seats until the final seconds. What more can you want? I finally walked away from the dome being glad I went.

Speaking of the dome, some strange stuff goes on there every year. I've never been to another college venue where the announcer celebrates a traveling call on the opponents by adding "THAT'S TOO MANY STEPS!" instead of just saying "traveling on SDSU". I also never seen a scoreboard used to try and distract a FT shooter. Then there was good ol' Joe Van Goor raising his arms trying to get the crowd into the game while he was doing play by play on the radio! Good times at the dome!

Comment

PA GUY was one of kind. Rare as it comes on as redundant or more of a homer than might be within reason. Students were great force.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                    How about Heemstra tonight? Rebounding, defending like crazy, bringing some fire, and hitting several big shots. What a performance when we needed it so badly.

I was impressed with the couple big shots Bittle hit late in the game as well (he nailed those final high-pressure FT too). His offensive game had vanished over the last month but tonight it showed up just in time.

That was an entertaining game. Their student section brought some energy and we were all on the edge of our seats until the final seconds. What more can you want? I finally walked away from the dome being glad I went.

Speaking of the dome, some strange stuff goes on there every year. I've never been to another college venue where the announcer celebrates a traveling call on the opponents by adding "THAT'S TOO MANY STEPS!" instead of just saying "traveling on SDSU". I also never seen a scoreboard used to try and distract a FT shooter. Then there was good ol' Joe Van Goor raising his arms trying to get the crowd into the game while he was doing play by play on the radio! Good times at the dome!
                    I overheard another Jack fan tonight say he felt like he was back in high school. Pretty much describes my experience at the Danger Dome.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      That's hilarious. One would think the Summit League would have some rules impacting things like the scoreboard used to distract (not unlike rules about the band not playing while the game is on). Oh well, there are reasons I'm likely to travel to opposing games when time permits but I haven't been motivated to go to the Dome for many years.

Comment

Thw charge against carlson was pretty bad and seemed pretty obvious it was a block. He was still moving and leaning over into him. If devines was a block that was too. Otherwise the refs were consistnat\inconsistant evenly. That and the rodney hood dunk attempt late in ot that the refs clearly missed him getting hit on the arm which essentially lost duke the game. Sorry just frustrated about that but the duke and cuse is going to be a great rivalry for the acc.

As others said heemstra was great since larsen was a no show. Bittle in the second half made some key plays and shots. JD and BC were huge all game.

Kasperbauer is lethal and doesn't need much room to get off a shot its a quick release. Hope broman can be like that too. Gruis sure likes to mix it up with anyone he can. He probably is cranky since JD got the last schollie and his offer I don't remember was either pulled or never offered at that point.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Larson was not no show, but he was getting his share of fouls including questionable charge. Gruis should get a video for best moving screen of the week. A win at Dome is great!!

Comment

Great road win. Carlson was really good, as we've come to expect, and so was Heemstra. And Dykstra played with the kind of toughness that's necessary in a hostile (and childish) environment.
                            Last edited by Jacked_Up; 02-01-2014, 10:32 PM.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

I was a bit surprised when I saw Thoseby high fiving some in the student section at end of a play in the first half. It is a different culture in the dome. The students were very much a part of the game for the energy for the yotes. It was also odd how the video board kept a song going into the play for 30 seconds or so. There were unique to Vermillion moments most of the game. One of the signs in the student section may not have passed the scrutiny in most arenas. Great win in the Dome.

Comment

I was at the game and just re-watched it. Here are some observations.

Jacks came out really strong defensively. Either USD was a little passive or the Jacks were doing a great job inside. It's probably a little of both. It was key to get off to a good start. Jacks defense was pretty good all night, except when the Coyotes were making their run. Coyotes made some fluke shots such as Thoseby's banked 3 and some of Kasperbauer's rainbows. Credit to him though, he's a good shooter. Jacks had some odd shots go in too, such as Carlson's ball that must have been tipped and went straight up in the air and in. Also, Horstman's shot at the end of the first half was huge.

I'm surprised Horstman plays so much. Broman hasn't played at all the last 2 games.

As mentioned, Heemstra really played well. He was fiery, made some tough shots, and played good D in lieu of Larson who was in foul trouble.

I didn't think Dykstra's foul on Gruis was all that bad. When two big guys run into each other, there's going to be a collision. Gruis trying to get into Dykstra's face was supposed to fire up the crowd. He said that in the postgame comments. It turned out to fire up the Jacks because they went on a big run after that.

The 14-1 run was the ballgame. Like the Jacks last year, it's tough to come back from a double digit lead in the second half. Jacks just held on long enough.

Officiating was inconsistent on both ends tonight. I thought in the first half they let them play a little bit but called everything in the second half. Carlson's "charge" was not a charge. Kasperbauer slid into him as Carlson was driving to the basket. I think the officials got caught up in the crowd and atmosphere. Also, Kasperbauer's 3 in the first half was clearly a 2. I watched it a couple times and his foot was clearly on the line.

Larson had a tough night. He had some good looks that just didn't fall and also had a couple turnovers. He'll regroup. He's been so good for the Jacks this year.

Speaking of Carlson, what a night for him. He has really picked up his scoring this year and aggressiveness. A couple of his drives to the hoop were Nate-like. For him to score 1,000 points in his career shows the hard work he puts in.

How about Jake Bittle? Didn't score at all in the first half and had some big 3's in the second. Also, those final FT's were huge. Yes, he made some mistakes such as the travel in the final minute, but he also took the charge from Norris. He stepped up when it counted.

Also, Chad White hit a 3 in the second half and then turned around and said something to the crowd. That was awesome.

Speaking of the crowd, it was energized, but did feel like a high school atmosphere to me. The atmospheres in Frost Arena and the DakotaDome are completely different. Kudos to the Jacks for handling it well. It really didn't affect them until the final 4 minutes of the game.

Overall, a great win and great road trip. I'm not sure how many schools will go 2-0 on the Denver/USD road swing this year. With that said, HUGE game at Frost on Thursday with IPFW coming in. IPFW plays 5 out of their last 7 on the road, so we'll see if they can win away from Ft. Wayne. Jacks are in great position for a 1-3 seed right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X