Matt Jones Update-Sunday Argus Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Matt Jones Update-Sunday Argus Leader

Matt palyed in the State Amatuer tourney today. He is the tallest 2nd baseman in captivity! He had three hits and Lake Norden won. As for his defense....did I mention he had three hits? It is just wonderful to see a great young kid out acting like a kid again. It sounds like his health has really improved. I don't care if he never plays basketball again. I just want him to get back to a "normal" life, whatever he decides that may be!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
      Matt palyed in the State Amatuer tourney today. He is the tallest 2nd baseman in captivity! He had three hits and Lake Norden won. As for his defense....did I mention he had three hits? It is just wonderful to see a great young kid out acting like a kid again. It sounds like his health has really improved. I don't care if he never plays basketball again. I just want him to get back to a "normal" life, whatever he decides that may be!
      As a native of Lake Norden and former Laker let me be the first to offer my congrats and wish them the best in the upcoming game. I have not been able to find a link to the pairings. Does anyone know where I can see them??
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

jackmd:

The coverage of the South Dakota State Amatuer Tourney does not seem to be covered much online. If you were to pick up the print version, you might find some articles. I checked the Argus, nothing, the Watertown Public Opinion, nothing there. Finally the Yankton Paper where I did find this. Lake Norden plays Ipswich on Sunday.

I think Craig and Mike's show from the Bird Cage was about the best to expect. This event just does not seem to get attention.

For Brookings Cub fans Craig and Mike mentioned yesterday, that Billy McMackin will be picthing for Huron against the Cubs.  How is that for a switch?

August 13, 2004

Grady Leads Montrose Past D-E

SIOUX FALLS (AP) -- Jeremy Grady drove in five runs and Ryan Gordon had four RBI in Montrose's 19-5 win over Dimock-Emery on Thursday in the Class B state amateur baseball tournament.

The first-round game was called after seven innings by the 10-run rule. Gordon had two homers for Montrose, which plays Clearfield in a second-round game on Monday.

Clearfield won its first-round game 9-5 over Clark. Blake Beebout struck out 10 and allowed three hits in pitching the win.

Ryan Tulson had a home run and drove in three runs in helping Lake Norden to a 10-4 win over South Central 9, and Blake Clarke had a homer and three RBIs in Ipswich's 7-4 victory over Wessington Springs.

Lake Norden faces Ipswich in the second round Sunday.
        The Yankton Daily Press & Dakotan .

Comment

Thanks SDSUFAN. I have to work Sunday or I would definitely make the trip to Sioux Falls. If you have never seen a session at the state amateur baseball tourney you don't know what you are missing. I have always preferred Mitchell as the location but I still recommend making the trip to Sioux Falls this weekend. Its a great time.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I've been wanting to ask this for awhile but hesitated to take this off topic. Is amateur baseball still pretty big in SD? Years ago every small town in ND had an amateur baseball team, but now I bet there's only about 15 teams in the entire state. I think the AAA teams are still pretty popular, as most of the college players play on those teams during the summer.
            I used to play in ND and there was nothing more fun than going to Canada every weekend and playing in tournaments (amateur baseball is huge in Canada).

Comment

jackmd: I have always said that the tournamnet belongs in Mitchell on a permanent basis. It has a much better atmosphere. I enjoy it being here in town and I enjoy helping out with the PA, but I still think it should be in Mitchell.

Comment

NDSU_grad, I would say that amateur baseball is still big as many towns (big and small) will field teams. The Brookings team has won many state titles because several of the Jackrabbit baseball players became members of the home town team.

Amateur baseball isn't like it was in the '50s though. It was a time before ubiquitous television watching and an evening baseball game was a great form of entertainment.

Comment

amateur baseball is not the same quality as it was in the mid to late 80's in my opinion. the pitching quality has decline, in turn the hitting looks like it has improved

Comment

Working...
                  X