Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU @ Texas Tech

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
    mhmm. And I don't mind the motion offense at all really, sometimes the players lolly gag and this team can't do that. The only for certain thing I have is that at some point the ball has to go through the paint. Whether its someone driving or getting it into the post. More than likely its getting it to the post with these guys. But jack up alot of threes but first get the ball into paint somehow. Its like the basketball gods rules. You have to put pressure on the rim in close for the outside shots to go down. Even if you have good shooters you can't just pass around the perimeter and take shots without any effort to score in close.

Early on the ball was going through Larson and good things were happening. Then slowly but surely they got away from that. He's a descent passer out of the double teams and I know that the shots will fall if we get some kind of consistent inside presence. White and Carlson will still get their shots, they just won't have to force everything. Carlson can run the point just fine if he doesn't try to do too much.
    I didn't say I wouldn't run one or that SDSU shouldn't. It works well with the right personnel and can be affective against a variety of different defenses. That said, I think at least in part, it cost the Jacks a loss against USD in Vermillion the last 2 years. Guy can get stagnant when they don't have an assigned cut to make or place to be on the court. Granted, same thing can happen in a non-motion set.

I don't mean to make it more complex, motion offenses come with many variations and often look completely different from one another depending on personnel. I worry that this years team doesn't have the confidence to run a crisp motion that will produce efficient scoring. That's really what it comes down to. An offensive possession can end 1 of 3 ways, with points (1,2,3 and even 4) a turnover or a missed shot. The team that scores on the most of its possessions almost always wins the game. This years Jackrabbit team is woefully inefficient on offense. Nate Wolters was amazingly efficient (I mean mind boggling efficient). I think that alone says alot and likely predicts ongoing struggles.

Realistically, this is a middle of the pack Summit team in a league that is weaker than usual with the loss of Oakland and ORU. Denver and NDSU will battle for the top spot and there will be little if any other competition. That means the Jackrabbits will need to win 3 games in the arena in March to make the tourney. This team is a long long way from achieving that. Good news? Its not even Thanksgiving yet.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I didn't say I wouldn't run one or that SDSU shouldn't. It works well with the right personnel and can be affective against a variety of different defenses. That said, I think at least in part, it cost the Jacks a loss against USD in Vermillion the last 2 years. Guy can get stagnant when they don't have an assigned cut to make or place to be on the court. Granted, same thing can happen in a non-motion set.

I don't mean to make it more complex, motion offenses come with many variations and often look completely different from one another depending on personnel. I worry that this years team doesn't have the confidence to run a crisp motion that will produce efficient scoring. That's really what it comes down to. An offensive possession can end 1 of 3 ways, with points (1,2,3 and even 4) a turnover or a missed shot. The team that scores on the most of its possessions almost always wins the game. This years Jackrabbit team is woefully inefficient on offense. Nate Wolters was amazingly efficient (I mean mind boggling efficient). I think that alone says alot and likely predicts ongoing struggles.

Realistically, this is a middle of the pack Summit team in a league that is weaker than usual with the loss of Oakland and ORU. Denver and NDSU will battle for the top spot and there will be little if any other competition. That means the Jackrabbits will need to win 3 games in the arena in March to make the tourney. This team is a long long way from achieving that. Good news? Its not even Thanksgiving yet.
      Yeah they are inefficient. In what ways could they be less inefficient ? I'm interested in ways that could potentially solve the problems we are seeing.

Comment

Wasn't Bittle recruited to be a PG? And Prince left, but that would have been a bigger turnover nightmare than they have now.

I listened to the first half and watched the second. Horstman is a liability on both ends of the court. He gets burned and missed the rim entirely twice last night on 3's. Not that anyone can make a 3 right now. Their shooting is just atrocious. The best offense they have right now are Larson and JD, but no one can get them the ball inside on a regular basis. And the comments on the Alaskan Assassin (ok, that's a stretch) are all true and good. He should get 20 minutes at least for awhile and see if he can build on it, hopefully on the offensive end too.

All in all, they were just awful last night. But they are not the worst team in the Summit. Western Illinois appears to have fallen worse than the Jacks.

Comment

Has there been any feedback about the injury for Jake? There was not any release that he turned the ankle in practice or game. If there was something noticed earlier when Anders was added to the PG by committee, the injury or ailment may have been evident. One thing is fact. The fact is that Jake could be a big contributor when he is cleared to play.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            Has there been any feedback about the injury for Jake? There was not any release that he turned the ankle in practice or game. If there was something noticed earlier when Anders was added to the PG by committee, the injury or ailment may have been evident. One thing is fact. The fact is that Jake could be a big contributor when he is cleared to play.
            Nagy and the coaching staff made it fairly clear that Jake will not be running the point. That doesn't mean he isn't a huge component of the team, especially on defense. He is going to be a 2 or 3 guy on the offense and will even be expected to post-up smaller guards that will be forced to guard him on the basis of the other height on the team.

This team cannot score inside without getting outside shots to fall. The big guys aren't big enough and the big guards will get no respect to open the lane if shots are not falling. I was hoping the team could get out and run but SDSU does not handle the ball well enough to do that. Things are starting to look a lot like they did 5 years ago or Before Nate (BN).
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Too much optimism for this forum. Your punishment is to go back and re-read all the posts in this game thread. Once you do that, you will understand that this is the worst team in SDSU history. You will see that we need a new offensive scheme, and we need a point guard who is now playing D2 to come back and save us. Once you understand just how bad this squad is, you can again post on this forum.

Oh, and you need to see that NAGY needs to be fired and Hansen needs to come back as head coach. Then you will be allowed to come back on here and voice your opinion.

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
              We lost to a Big 12 team on the road. Down by 6 with 5 minutes to go. Shot about as poorly as possible from 3. This must be the worst college basketball team ever assembled in the history of college basketball(sarcasm).

Did anyone watch the San Diego(currenty 5-0) game? The game we lost 74-70 in their gym? The best player on the floor for SDSU that night was Jake Bittle. He has the ability to create his own shot and penetrate to create things for others. He also may be our best defender. SDSU is and will be a much better team when he gets back. What you will see is a lot of Jake Bittle and a lot less of the one dimensional Chad White and currently struggling Broman.

Im going to be seriously upset if Connor Devine didn't earn more minutes with his play last night. 5 blocks and 5 rebounds in 16 minutes. When guys step up and produce from the bench you need to play them and Connor has.

Larsen looks more comfortable every game. I think we are going to see more and more of the offense being ran through him the more comfortable he gets. They are going to have to figure out a way to get him the ball more down low, and I think our coaching staff will.

The fair weather fans are jumping off the bandwagon right now. I'm still sticking with my belief that this team will be good middle to late in the season. We have seen glimpses things this team can do well. They are still figuring out their identity and strengths as a team and as individuals. I'm looking forward to watching this team grow over the next couple of months.

Comment

Any current news on Jake Bittle injury????
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  Any current news on Jake Bittle injury????
                  From what TV said during his chat yesterday is that he took part in the shoot around before the Montana game and he practiced Sunday before the SMSU game. Hopefully he will be good to go on Monday and Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                    Too much optimism for this forum. Your punishment is to go back and re-read all the posts in this game thread. Once you do that, you will understand that this is the worst team in SDSU history. You will see that we need a new offensive scheme, and we need a point guard who is now playing D2 to come back and save us. Once you understand just how bad this squad is, you can again post on this forum.

Oh, and you need to see that NAGY needs to be fired and Hansen needs to come back as head coach. Then you will be allowed to come back on here and voice your opinion.
                    Amusing post. Rep pts. given.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post

Nailed it.

Give it some time before burning Frost to the ground. Anyone who did not expect significant struggles during the first couple months of this season was seriously delusional. There will be plenty more to come. I'll get nauseous watching at times, but I'm hoping to keep my eye on the prize: those three games in March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If you look at how many points they are scoring in the paint, not the slashing to the basket, but working the paint like Tony did, I think that tells the story more than Nate. I think Tony left a huge hole, and they are struggling because there is no inside presence, so the Offense does not flow at all. Also I think the ball handlers need to keep the ball moving (dribbling) don't pick it up and wait for some one to come and get it, this is happening way to much, keep dribbling until the play develops.... I think they will get it figured out, Divine looked pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          Nailed it.

Give it some time before burning Frost to the ground. Anyone who did not expect significant struggles during the first couple months of this season was seriously delusional. There will be plenty more to come. I'll get nauseous watching at times, but I'm hoping to keep my eye on the prize: those three games in March.

From the poster who just bashed the USD women on another thread, and already tells us the 'Yote women are out of contention for an SL title. Contradiction? I think so.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

The good thing about all this these OOC games are all practice for conference games. As others have stated, I'm hopeful we've got ourselves figured out by then. The cold shooting can't continue much longer can it?
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyRabbitFoot View Post
                              If you look at how many points they are scoring in the paint, not the slashing to the basket, but working the paint like Tony did, I think that tells the story more than Nate. I think Tony left a huge hole, and they are struggling because there is no inside presence, so the Offense does not flow at all. Also I think the ball handlers need to keep the ball moving (dribbling) don't pick it up and wait for some one to come and get it, this is happening way to much, keep dribbling until the play develops.... I think they will get it figured out, Divine looked pretty good.
                              I think we have an inside presence. Cody and Divine were working hard in there. Our guards don't/can't make a post entry pass. I agree about the guards picking their dribble up. Last night it was usually 30 ft from the basket. Also agree that Devine looked good. He's certainly earned more minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                                From the poster who just bashed the USD women on another thread, and already tells us the 'Yote women are out of contention for an SL title. Contradiction? I think so.
                                ???

Comment

Working...
                                X