SDSU D-IA BASKETBALL BEGINS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU D-IA BASKETBALL BEGINS!

A new era of big time basketball begins this evening at 7 pm when the DI SDSU women take on DII Southwest Minnesota State in an exhibition game at Frost Arena. Nothing in the Argus leader that I could find! ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

The probable starters are listed in the Jackrabbit news release as:

Shannon Schlagel
    Megan Vogel
    Heather Sieler
    Sarita DeBoer
    Steph Bolden or Brooke D.

The men's team will kick off their season this Saturday when they join the women in an exhibition double header also at Frost.

Go Jacks!

Re: SDSU D-IA BASKETBALL BEGINS TONIGHT

94-74, Jacks women beat SW Minnesota State...
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: SDSU D-IA BASKETBALL BEGINS!

Highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/We...article4.shtml

SDSU claims exhibition
      From Staff & Wire Reports

published: 11/10/2004

Shannon Schlagel's 30 points and 10 rebounds powered South Dakota State to a 94-74 women's basketball exhibition victory over Southwest Minnesota State on Tuesday in Brookings.

Christina Gilbert added 16 points, Andrea Verdegan 13 and Megan Vogel and Sarita DeBoer 12 each for SDSU, which led 42-30 at halftime. Centers DeBoer and Gilbert were 4-for-4 and 4-for-6 from the field, respectively. SDSU was 34-for-37 on free throws.

For SMS, Michelle Bruns had 22 points, Shannon Daly 17 and Kristin Hairston 10. . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Attendance was 1,049. Not bad for an exibition game.

Comment

Good Win for the Lady Rabbits----sounds like these 2 teams compete quite a bit in the summer against each other.

Comment

I would expect there be a pretty good crowd on Saturday for the Mankato/ Concordia exhibition. It will be one of the only nights both teams play at home, plus with few good home games this year i think people will come out early and often. Only thing that might pull away is the SD football championships on TV.

Hope we can break 4000.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I heard the freshman from Wisconsin Andrea Verdegan looked real good and will compete for playing time. Gives us more depth at the guard position.

Comment

I was curious why this game was an "exhibition game" Is there a reason for this designation-Its not like we arent playing DII and NAIA in the transition year at Frost Arena.

Comment

I am not sure of this but I was under the impression that the regular season starts on a given day like Nov 15th. Also I think both teams can agree on an exhibition label which means that the game does not count on the win-loss record. Maybe someone else can give a more explainable answer.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                    I heard the freshman from Wisconsin Andrea Verdegan looked real good and will compete for playing time. Gives us more depth at the guard position.
                    I was at the game and Andrea was very impressive. The Ladies looked very good on defense forcing SWSU to often take a quick and hurried shot prior to the 30 second buzzer.

The offense needs to work, especially in transitition opportunities, and getting the ball inside. SWMU got a 7-0 lead on SDSU because of offensive turnovers and missed shots. I think if our D holds solid, the offense will take care of itself.

Comment

Nagy indicated this afternoon he may be starting as many as two freshman and four will play a lot. This will be the youngest team we have had in the Nagy era. Expectations should not be too high, however I think we will compete in typicall fashion from a Nagy team.

Comment

Working...
                      X